One Group We Don't Hear Much About These Days: The Stylistics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MacFan, May 23, 2022.

1. MacFan

MacFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I love love LOVE the Stylistics. This was the sound of my first teen summer... :love:

3. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

The Stylistics take me back - they had some pretty big hits, You Make Me Feel Brand New being my own personal favourite.

Were they RnB or disco, though? Or a combination?

Either way, this is better than Elvis's version.

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Some great singles. Lots of success in the U.K. in the 70s.

And they do seem to be underrated.

5. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I saw them open for Dionne Warwick at The Academy of Music in Philly in 1983.

6. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

It is a sin that they (and the Spinners ) are not in the R'n'R HOF

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The Amherst CDs of the original albums feature good sound.

8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I'd hardly call them ground-breaking, which is probably why they get lost among the many groups that sound somewhat similar. I will say they had some decent tunes. "Betcha By Golly, Wow" is a terrific song (but with a terrible title).

RobCos02330 and Jarleboy like this.
  9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I have The Best of The Stylistics on Amherst CD:

[​IMG]

Only ten songs, but it sounds great.

somnar, Suncola, Remy and 9 others like this.
  10. MacFan

MacFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I
    I have this CD too and it does sound great.

11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

They are awesome and their records very easy to find and cheap

Man at C&A and somnar like this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Their GH is one fine compilation. Saw what was left of them just over 10 years ago in Maui, and boy was that ever good.

AnalogJ likes this.
  13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

love their stylings.

14. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Their earliest recordings made between 1970-1974 with Them Bell are magnificent examples of 70s Philly Soul. The saw a shift in producer to Hugo & Luigi with Van McCoy which resulted in a more Pop sound. This was their downfall in the US but saw them become the most successful US soul group in the UK between 74-76. The Stylistics Greatest Hits was the biggest selling UK album of 1975 and "I Can't Give You Anything" was a massive No1on the UK singles chart the same year. No other African American artist came close to their level of success and chart making consistency during that mid 70s period in the UK. The sweet sugary pop sound did not go down well with soul fans who mostly abandoned the group by this point. Of course the Stylistics was mainly Russell Tompkins Jnr- the man with that instantly recognisable falsetto. The guys who toured along with Russell and made the TV appearances were not the voices who featured on the recordings, they were hired back up on a fixed salary. Thom Bell, Bunny Sigler, Phil Hurtt and Kenny Gamble amongst others provided the backing vocals for many of the Philly groups- including Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes. This was very common during the 60s and 70s. Often the bands busy concert date schedule meant they were not readily available to record and the producers would lay down the tracks while the group was out on the road. They only then required studio time to record the lead vocal of Russel Tompkins or Teddy Pendergrass. This saved a lot of time and a lot of money. It has been well documented and all those mentioned have confirmed the facts publicly both in print and radio interviews. This practice was not only used for Soul/R&B artists but many other pop/rock bands used studio session musicians on their recordings. The Beach Boys being just one example.

15. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

And the one notable singer no longer in the group is Russell A. Thompkins Junior.

RATJR now tours as part of Russell Thompkins Junior And The New Stylistics.

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I remember they and the Chi-Lites were all over the radio back in the day.

greelywinger, forthlin and bluerondo like this.
  17. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

They did have a bunch of fine singles but overall, I liked The Delfonics and Blue Magic better.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The first two albums are fantastic falsetto soul. Absolute classics of the genre. Thom Bell at the top of his game.

The third one is a mixed bag.

The rest aren't so hot. Thom Bell left and they turned into a pretty mediocre pop/soul group.

US rights are held by Amherst Records, who bought them from the bankrupt Avco. They are impossible to deal with, which is why the Stylistics catalog in the US has been so badly represented.

In the EU, it appears Polygram (Universal) owns the rights, so you have some generous and cheap collections that pretty much most of the material of the first three albums plus some other stuff. That said, I'd imagine the original masters are probably held by Amherst (if they still exist) and weren't used for the Polygram titles.

19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Great mellow soul group, and Russell Thompkins, Jr. is one of the all time great falsettos. Thom Bell and Linda Creed were brilliant songwriters. "Betcha By Golly Wow" and their other hits have very inventive melodies and intricate chord progressions. Perfect combination of singers, writers, musicians, and producers.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Funny, I heard "Break Up to Make Up" at the grocery yesterday.

john lennonist and bluerondo like this.
  21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I like them……and most all 70s Philly soul on a greatest hits level. I was 5 in 1972 and started recognizing music and was listening constantly to top 40 radio……of course, the Stylistics, Blue Notes etc. we’re all over the radio. I loved the sound, even if I didn’t know what the words meant at the time.

On different soul tours the last 5+ years, I saw both the Thompkins Jr and non-Thompkins versions of the group.

WhatDoIKnow, Chazzbo13 and bluerondo like this.
  22. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I like them.

23. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I believe the tracks were licensed by Polygram for several excellent reissue packages in recent years.

24. John54

John54 Senior Member

A fine group. You can hardly do better if you like that early '70s mellow soul sound.

25. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

Their debut album is a masterpiece and I'm surprised it's not praised like other 70's Soul classics.

Last edited: May 23, 2022