"One Hit Wonder" follow-up attempts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoporJoe, Jan 12, 2019.

1. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

Jennifer Rush is a borderline case. She certainly only had one solo mega hit, her cover of The Power of Love, but she did also do well with a duet with Elton John, which may disqualify her to some, although it's hard to argue that song's success wasn't more Elton than her (and it was modestly successful by his standards). She also had a minor 1989 success in the UK with Plácido Domingo. Anyway, this follow-up to The Power of Love did keep her in the charts in Central Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), but did nothing in North America or the United Kingdom.

carlwm likes this.
  2. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Christie's rather good followup to "Yellow River" only hit #100 in Billboard;

sewerdog likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Always dug this record. Liked it much more than Brandy.

SonyTek and Larry Geller like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Ides of March "L.A. Goodbye." Here they put aside the BS&T sound of "Vehicle" and instead sound like CSN.

seed_drill likes this.
  5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Bobby Pickett's follow up to "Monster Mash" .. The "Monster Swim"

6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I got Norma’s album not to long after it came out (as a cut-out, no doubt) and remember liking it. But I hadn’t listened to it in a long time until a few months ago. It’s really really good. My favorite is the last track, “I’m the Sky,” which a was also a B-side.

7. John54

John54 Senior Member

Great song! I think Rice is Nice and Jelly Jungle are both miles better than Green Tambourine, which isn't bad.

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Tin Tin's Is That the Way was a fine follow-up to Toast and Marmalade for Tea:

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Definitely the case in the US. ATF's version made to #5 US - Falco's only got to #72...

blastfurniss likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's a territorial issue. In the US, Falco had 2 top 20 hits, so he doesn't qualify, but he didn't have a bunch of US hits...

lordfalconer likes this.
  11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

So he went from sounding kinda like Sting to sounding kinda like Stevie Winwood?

jupiter8, gregorya and Dondy like this.
  12. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Canned Ham - Norman Greenbaum:

Larry Geller likes this.
  13. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I really love this song, and Tommy's "unique" voice is the big selling point for me. When he sings "You better run..." and he stretches it out to "You'd bet-ter ruh-ayy-uhhhn!" - it's great!

Same with "867-5309" - where they get to for "For a good time, for a good time, call" and he sings "time" as "toooime!" - I love it!

guppy270 likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Hurricane Smith - Who Was It

Could lightning hit twice? Not so much - #49

casey casey and John54 like this.
  15. :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint:

O Don Piano and Drifter like this.
  16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Well then that's why they call them "one hit wonders" isn't it?

17. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

18. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

This was the follow-up to the Neon Philharmonic's #17 hit in 1969, "Morning Girl." Not bad per se, just a bit too slow-moving and ponderous to be a hit. Didn't chart in the Hot 100, which made them a true one-hit wonder (unless you count "Heighdy-Ho Princess" from 1970, which hit the Bubbling Under The Hot 100 chart).

John54 likes this.
  19. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Lovelier than oil rights?! That’s when I bailed. Never heard that song back in ‘69 and never will listen to the rest. ( Well maybe in the year 2525.)

20. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Speaking only in terms of the Hot 100, Lou Reed is a one-hit wonder. His only entry is "Walk On The Wild Side" which hit #16 in 1973.

The followup single "Satellite Of Love" only got to #119 on the Bubbling Under chart. Sad, because "Satellite" has one of Reed's best melodies. Maybe people didn't find the deadpan humor of lines like "I like to watch things on TV" funny. Then again, maybe he wasn't trying to be funny. Which makes it funnier.

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

She did have a top twenty UK hit before The Power Of Love, called Ring Of Ice so I suppose she is a two hit wonder. :)

It's not a bad song. Would have fit nicely onto any of the big rock soundtracks of the era.

22. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

In Europe however, this was an even bigger hit than that Amadeus tune:

23. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Duffy's follow-up to her monster smash "Mercy".

I do like it, wonder why it didn't really take off.

24. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

She followed it up with Warwick Avenue, which itself did very well in the UK and everywhere but America, so I wouldn't call her a one-hit wonder beyond the U.S., although her pop run can be condensed into a single year.

I was going to call her a one-album wonder, actually, but her second album supposedly did reasonably alright. She was definitely a flash in the pan though, and it's crazy to think her debut album was considered a classic at the time.

25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This actually was a hit, if a smaller one. And a better song, written by Gilbert O'Sullivan.

John54 likes this.