"One Hit Wonder" follow-up attempts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoporJoe, Jan 12, 2019.

1. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Twangy' - the Rock-a-Teens; 1959 follow-up to 'Woo-Hoo' (Billboard #16)

only listed on CashBox (#109)

Their second single, which appears to have been the group's final release before they broke up, but they had seen an LP be issued
    The Rock-A-Teens - Woo-Hoo

The Rock-A-Teens - Wikipedia

2. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Like the Big Guys Do' - the Rocky Fellers (Billboard #55); 1963 follow-up to 'Killer Joe' (BB #16)

song written by Bob Elgin (one of the writers on 'Killer Joe') with Horace Ott.

The Rocky Fellers - Wikipedia

3. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Like a Child' - Julie Rogers (Billboard #67); 1965 follow-up to 'The Wedding' (BB #10)

lip synced for TV; the follow-up fared better in the UK (no.21); where 'The Wedding' had peaked at no.3. 'Like a Child was written by Jimmy & Lynn Breedlove - Jimmy had been a member of the Cues in the 1950s. The song appears to have been previously released as a B-side for Jimmy Briggs on Jamie which I would be interested to hear.
    Jimmy Briggs - Hideout

Julie Rogers - Wikipedia

4. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Lovebirds' - Ronald & Ruby; 1958 follow-up to their original version of 'Lollipop' (Billboard #20)

Ronald Gumm (reportedly 13 years-old at the time) and Beverly Ross; "an American interracial pop vocal duo" (wikipedia), who recorded the demo of 'Lollipop' written by Beverly Ross with Julius Dixon (also African-American) - it was released as a single by RCA but their TV appearances got cancelled and their version was outsold by the Chordettes (BB #2; UK no.6); and also in the UK by the Mudlarks (no.2). They were a duo only for the recording session and do not appear to have had a third single released.

Their version of 'Lollipop' did not have the "pop" that featured on the other versions
    LOLLIPOP [ 1958] - RONALD & RUBY
    Interview with Beverly Ross

Beverly Ross had already had a hit as the co-writer with Dixon of 'Dim, Dim The Lights (I want some atmosphere)' for Bill Haley and the Comets (BB #11 r&b #10) the 1954 follow-up to Shake, Rattle and Roll' and apparently the first rock'n'roll/r&b recording by white artists to cross-over onto the r&b chart.
    1955 HITS ARCHIVE: Dim, Dim The Lights - Bill Haley & his Comets

She would have further hits as a co-writer including 'Girl of my best friend' (Ral Donner); 'Remember Then' (the Earls); 'Judy's Turn to Cry' (Lesley Gore); 'Candy Man' (written with Fred Neil; Roy Orbison). She also has said that she wrote the riff which Phil Spector appropriated for 'Spanish Harlem'.

Ronald & Ruby - Wikipedia
    Cover versions of Lollipop by Ronald & Ruby | SecondHandSongs
    Beverly Ross - Wikipedia
    Songs written by Beverly Ross | SecondHandSongs
    Julius Dixson - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Be Kind' - Ronnie and the Hi-Lites (Billboard #120); 1962 follow-up to 'I wish that we were married' (BB #16) on the small independent Joy label owned by Hal and Marion Weiss (she wrote the follow-up and had co-written the hit)

Ronnie Goodson was apparently 14 years old at the time; I see that wikipedia claims he became the boyfriend of Little Eva. He died in 1980 aged only 33. One site indicates that he became a trumpet player with John Fred & his Playboy Band, but I believe that would have been another person with the same name. One of the Weiss couple was later quoted as saying that the hit should have been followed-up by another song on the marriage theme.

Ronnie & The Hi Lites - I Wish That We Were Married
    Ronnie & the Hi-Lites - Wikipedia
    One Hit Wonders » 60 RONNIE & THE HI-GHLIGHTS “I WISH THAT WE WERE MARRIED”

6. Paulo Fernandes

Paulo Fernandes Forum Resident

Martika follow-up Toy Soldiers

Beamish13 likes this.
  7. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'If My World Falls Through' - the Rose Garden featuring Diana DeRose; 1968 follow-up to 'Next Plane to London' by the Rose Garden (Billboard #17)

the group only had two singles released; but there was an LP - an extended CD was issued a couple of years ago.

Liner Notes to the Rose Garden's "The Rose Garden"

geo50000 likes this.
  8. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

9. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

10. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

The fact that Falco charted outside german-speaking territory at all is pretty amazing. He sure was no one-hit-wonder here.

11. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'That Kind of Woman' - Merrilee Rush & the Turnabouts (Billboard #75); 1968 follow-up to 'Angel of the Morning' (Billboard #7)

produced by Tommy Cogbill & Chips Moman at American Studios in Memphis; placed higher on CashBox (#40) and Record World (#39)

Merrilee Rush - Wikipedia

12. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

13. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'If you didn't hear me the first time (I'll say it again)' - the Sandpebbles (Billboard #122); 1968 follow-up to 'Love Power' (BB #22; r&b #14)

#42 on Billboard's r&b chart. Written & produced by Teddy Vann as was the hit.

The Sandpebbles ' release prior to 'Love Power'; 'Forget it' had peaked at #10 on the r&b chart, but placed no higher than #81 on the Hot 100.
    the sandpebbles - forget it

Was the B-side the first soul record to include the word psychedelic? (June, 1967)
    The Sandpebbles - Psychedelic Technicolor Dream

The group later recorded as C & the Shells for Cotillion and had a 1969 #28 r&b hit 'You Are the Circus' which did not feature on the pop chart (written & produced by Jerry Williams Jr. aka Swamp Dogg)
    C. Shells - You Are The Circus

The Sandpebbles - Wikipedia

14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'I'm Satisfied' - The San Remo Golden Strings (Billboard #89); 1965 follow-up to 'Hungry for Love' (BB #27)

'Blueberry Hill' (CashBox #139) may have been the original A-side
    YouTube

'Hungry for Love' does not appear to have been listed on the r&b chart. Five years after the original 1966 release, the third single by the San Remo Golden Strings, 'Festival Time' became a no.39 hit in the UK, issued on the Tamla-Motown label by "San Remo Strings" following popularity on the "Northern Soul" scene

Any love for The San Remo Golden Strings?

15. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I remember "Trout" with Michael Stipe getting a lot of airplay. Hit #2 on the Alternative Chart.

16. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

One of my favorite songs from the 80s.

Surly likes this.
  17. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'I've got mine, you better get yours' - the Sapphires; 1964 follow-up to 'Who Do You Love' (Billboard #25)

Only chart appearance was on Record World chart at #129; should have been more successful imo. A Kenny Gamble / Jerry Ross song (as was the hit)

'Who do you love'
    YouTube

The Sapphires later signed to a larger label, ABC-Paramount Records, where there was a 1965 r&b hit 'Gotta Have Your Love' (Billboard #77; r&b #33) recorded by the group's lead vocalist Carol Jackson with back-up singers Valerie Simpson, Nick Ashford, and Melba Moore
    SAPPHIRES- GOTTA HAVE YOUR LOVE
    Tony Powers / Jerry Keller song

The Sapphires

18. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

19. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Doin' the Napolean' - Napolean XIV; 1966 follow-up to 'They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!' (Billboard #3)

promo copies indicate this as the original A-side, with the flip being 'I'm in love with my little red tricycle'; neither side made a chart appearance.

aka Jerry Samuels
    JERRY SAMUELS MUSIC
    Napoleon XIV - Wikipedia

20. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Pilot
    Terry Jacks
    Billy Swan
    Carl Douglas
    to name a few.
    i know they tried follow ups because they were on top of the pops tv show. they were so bad that i cant remember the follow up

21. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

Terry Jacks - If You Go Away. Not only was successful, it even made Top 10 (number 8). It was his last hit, however.
    Billy Swan - I'm Her Fool. This was a flop, but its follow-up, Don't Be Cruel made number 42.
    Carl Douglas - After Kung Fu Fighting, Dance The Kung Fu made number 35.
    Pilot - They had two huge hits, but after January, they charted with Call Me Round at number 34.

goodiesguy and hyntsonsvmse like this.
  22. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Another band called Hello had one big hit i cant see them playing on totp. the follow up?
    What about blackfoot sue, chicory tip. Both their hits were stunningly good. as for the inevitable foll0w up?
    Dawn with tie a yellow ribbon. and then what?
    First class
    Robert Knight
    R Dean Taylor
    the 70s had stacks of these bands.
    these are from memory and not net searches.

23. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'That's my Desire' - Yvonne Baker and the Sensations (Billboard #69); 1962 follow-up to the Sensations' 'Let Me In' (BB #4)

The Sensations - Let Me In

The Sensations were not OHWs on the r&b chart where they had three Top 20 hits prior to 'Let Me In'; 'Yes Sir, That's My Baby' and 'Please Mr. Disc Jockey' (both 1956), and 'Music, Music, Music (1961)
    The Sensations | Way Back Attack

24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Sippin' Soda' - the Shells; 1961 follow-up to 'Baby Oh Baby' (Billboard #21)

Another d00-wop group with a hit they had recorded and released a few years earlier. The hit 'Baby Oh Baby' had first been released in 1957, and was reissued in 1960. 'Sippin' Soda was a reissue of the 1958 follow-up.

1961 HITS ARCHIVE: Baby Oh Baby - Shells

They shared a 1962 LP with the Dubs
    The Dubs Meet The Shells - The Dubs Meet The Shells
    and later made an acappella LP which now seems to be rare
    https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/shells-the-the-shells-sing-acapella-713455

*SHELLS (1) - doo-wop

25. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Gettin' Ready for Freddy' - the Sheppard Sisters; 1957 follow-up to 'Alone (Why must I be alone)' - the Shepherd Sisters (Billboard #18; UK no.14)

I guess the different spelling was a mistake, as they reverted to the Shepherd Sisters for their following releases. Their only other entry on the Hot 100 was in 1963; 'Don't Mention My Name' (BB #94), produced and written by Bob Crewe (with Bob Gaudio)
    THE SHEPHERD SISTERS - DON'T MENTION MY NAME

Shepherd Sisters - "Alone (Why Must I Be Alone)"
    The 4 Seasons later peaked at #28 on Billboard in 1964 with a recording of their hit, released as a single on Vee Jay (after the Seasons had signed to Philips)

Shepherd Sisters - Wikipedia