"One Hit Wonder" follow-up attempts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoporJoe, Jan 12, 2019.

1. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Slop Time' - the Sherrys (Billboard #97); 1963 follow up to 'Pop Pop Pop-Pie' (BB #35)

both the hit and the follow-up written by John Madara & David White
    1962 HITS ARCHIVE: Pop Pop Pop-Pie - Sherrys

The Sherrys did to get to release an LP
    The Sherrys - At The Hop With The Sherrys

And toured in Sweden
    Sherrys - This little boy of mine

One of the Sherrys, Charlotte Walker married a member of the pre-Abba group the Hep Stars who she had toured with in Sweden; they became the duo Svenne and Lotta who appear to have had a long successful career prior to being divorced in 2014.
    Svenne and Lotta - Wikipedia

*SHERRYS - doo-wop

2. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

3. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Put Your Arms Around Me Honey' - Ray Smith (Billboard #91); 1960 follow-up to 'Rockin' Little Angel' (BB #22)

The song from 1910 may not have been the best choice for a follow-up

Smith, Ray

YouTube

4. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

And Pilot's last attempt at a hit (I thought it deserved better) was "Just A Smile" which got to number 31.

5. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

Hello is a bit of a mistery. Tell Him made top 10 in late '74, then their excellent follow-ups (including Bend Me Shape Me) didn't chart. However! New York Groove made a Top 10 position in 1975. Then, dissappeared.

Blackfoot Sue. With Standing In The Road being such a hit, Sing Don't Speak charted, but only at number 36.

Chicory Tip. Son Of My Father was number one. Its follow-up, What's Your Name hit number 13.

Dawn had a great follow-up to Tie A Yellow Ribbon... charting at the same time that number one was there, Say Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose was number 12.

First Class had no other follow-up. A one-hit wonder.

Robert Knight, being a Northern Soul favourite, only had two hits in the 70s, both reissues: Love on a Mountain Top hit Top 10, then it came Everlasting Love at number 19.

And as for R. Dean Taylor, same story. His hit in 1974 (There's a Ghost in my House) was a reissue from the 60s, and was a mega-smash, hitting number 3. He has a follow-up, Window Shopping which charted at number 36.

6. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

R. Dean Taylor also had a 1968 UK hit 'Gotta See Jane (no.17)
    Dawn had three UK Top Ten hits prior to 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon'

goodiesguy and Mulderre like this.
  7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

In the U.S., First Class had two follow-ups to "Beach Baby" that made the Billboard Hot 100. I was working at a Top 40 radio station when the first of these, "Dreams Are Ten a Penny," came out. We actually played it, albeit not for very long. This record made it to #83 nationally.

The second follow-up, "Funny How Love Can Be," actually fared a little better (#74), though I never heard it on the radio. This was a remake of the song First Class member John Carter did back in the 60s as a member of The Ivy League.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Views of OHWs are geographical in nature.

You're in Canada, where Men Without Hats had 6 top 40 hits.

Here in the US, they had 2 - and few remember "Pop Goes the World".

I listened to a lot of top 40 back then and I have no memory of it. Just played the song and didn't recognize it.

So technically, MWH is a 2-hit wonder in the US, with only 1 hit that really endures in the public memory...

9. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Then You Walk In' - Sammi Smith (Billboard #118); 1971 follow-up to 'Help Me Make It Through the Night' (BB #8; country #1; the first and biggest hit version of the Kristofferson song)

#10 on Billboard's country chart where she had hits all throughout the 1970s

The self composed 'Willie' was the original A-side
    Sammi Smith / Willie

'I've Got to Have You' (1972) was her only other single to cross over into the Hot 100 (BB #77; country #13)

Sammi Smith - Wikipedia

10. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

11. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

12. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Yes, No, Maybe So' - Barrett Strong; 1960 follow-up to 'Money' (Billboard #23; r&b #2)

also issued on the Anna label for national distribution

but had many later hits as a writer with Norman Whitfield
    Songs written by Barrett Strong | SecondHandSongs

13. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'I Am Your Man' - Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers (Billboard #85; r&b #40); 1968 follow-up to 'Does Your Mama Know about Me?' (BB #29; r&b #5)

recorded as a solo Bobby Taylor track, but released under the group name. A rare Ashford & Simpson song for a male singer, the majority of their songs being written for women to sing.

The next single 'Malinda' (another solo recording released in the group's name) fared better, but didn't make the Top 40 (except on the r&b chart)
    Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - Malinda (Gordy Records 1968)
    song by Smokey Robinson with Al Cleveland & Terry Johnson (BB #48; r&b #16)

Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers - Wikipedia

14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Since I Found a New Love' - Little Johnny Taylor (Billboard #78); 1964 follow-up to 'Part Time Love' (BB #19; r&b #1)

His next appearance on the Hot 100 was seven years later in 1971 with 'Everybody knows about my good thing' (BB #60; r&b #9)
    Little Johnny Taylor - Everybody Knows About My Good Thing, Pt. 1 & 2 (1971)

'Open House at my House' peaked at #16 on the r&b chart in 1972, but didn't cross over onto the pop chart
    YouTube

Little Johnny Taylor - Wikipedia
    not to be confused with Johnnie Taylor who recorded for Stax and had his first Top 40 hit in 1968

15. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Ain't it a Sad Thing' - R. Dean Taylor (Billboard #66) 1971 follow-up to 'Indiana Wants Me' (BB #5; UK no.2)

He was not a OHW in the UK where he had four Top 40 hits including 'Gotta See Jane' (no.17; 1968) and 'There's a Ghost in my House' (1966 recording which peaked at no.3 in 1974)

He also had a couple of hits in Canada prior to joining Motown including 'I'll Remember' (1962)
    YouTube

and he contributed to hits for other Motown artists; co-writer of the #1 'Love Child for Diana Ross & the Supremes (with Pam Sawyer, Deke Richards, & Frank Wilson)

Biography

16. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Sippin' 'n Chippin' - the T-Bones (Billboard #62); 1966 follow-up to 'No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)' (BB #3)

The T-Bones - Wikipedia

17. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

18. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'So All Alone' - the Teen Queens; 1956 follow-up to 'Eddie My Love' (Billboard #14; r&b #2)

only listed on the Music Vendor chart (#50)

'Eddie My Love' had to compete with cover versions by the Fontane Sisters (BB #11) and the Chordettes (BB #14). In the UK both cover versions were released on the same label (London); neither was a hit. The Teen Queens' original wasn't released on a single here until 1965
    The Teen Queens - Eddie My Love
    1956 HITS ARCHIVE: Eddie My Love - Teen Queens

Sadly both died when still young.
    The Teen Queens Record Label Shots
    Eddie My Love

19. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

20. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Fickle Little Girl' b/w 'A Letter of Devotion' - the Temptations; 1960 follow-up to 'Barbara' (Billboard #29)

'A Letter of Devotion' may have been the original A-side, but 'Fickle Little Girl' (by Wes Farrell & Artie Ripp) appears to have received some airplay

1960 HITS ARCHIVE: Barbara - Temptations
    Their hit was the first release on Goldisc (one of George Goldner's labels)

The Temptations (New York vocal group) - Wikipedia

They would later be eclipsed by the Motown group with the same name

21. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'The Rosy Dance' - Johnny Thunder (Billboard #122); 1963 follow-up to 'Loop de Loop' (BB #4; r&b #6) - didn't work for him a second time

aka Gil Hamilton.

He did have two later records on the Hot 100, 'Everybody do the Sloopy' (#67; 1965); and with Ruby Winters 'Make Love to Me' (#96; but much higher on the r&b chart, #13 ; 1967)
    Johnny Thunder & Ruby Winters ~ "Make Love To Me"

and his 1969 single 'I'm Alive' (BB #122) was Bob Dylan's choice in his first Rolling Stone interview as the record he had then recently heard on the radio that impressed him the most
    Johnny Thunder "I'm Alive"

Johnny Thunder (singer) - Wikipedia

22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Accidents' - Thunderclap Newman; 1970 follow-up to 'Something in the Air' (Billboard #37; UK no.1)

One week outside the Top 40 at no.46 in the UK; almost twelve months after the no.1 hit

TheMovieRad and MikeM like this.
  23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Edited version of a track that was 9:40 on the album. In retrospect, this is pretty commercial-sounding. Surprising it didn't do better.

24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Possibly radio programmers did not like the theme of the song

25. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Bring Back those Rockabye Baby Days' - Tiny Tim (Billboard #95); 1968 follow-up to 'Tip toe thru' the tulips with me' (BB #17)

song performed by Eddie Cantor in 1923

'Great Balls of Fire' peaked at #85 in 1969