"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

LoL. I love "Funky Nassau." It's an underrated track from that decade.

John B Good likes this.
  2. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

262 - Tin

3. trinket

trinket Well-Known Member

#262 - OK, so this is one where I got the answer relatively easy, but I'm not sure how to rate myself. Normally with silver stars, I am pretty sure that I know the answer, but there's a new piece of trivia that I need to confirm. Tin stars are either a slog (I go through some list or another, like the One Hit Wonders list, groups from Iowa, groups that named themselves after a fruit, or whatever) or I do some sort of direct lookup, like looking up facts about Neon Philharmonic.

In this case, I looked up my first guess and had it confirmed. Normally that would be a silver star, but it really was an educated guess. It helped that I had this duo in mind when researching a recent question. Also, there was only one person I could name from NP, and this turned out not to be him.

Of course, as Drew Carey used to state on "Whose Line is it Anyway?", "the show where everything is made up and the points don't matter", I'll give myself a Tin Star+ (or Silver Star-).

4. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hint for #262.......This was the second hit with this title, but not the same song.

5. Oldies trivia guy

In this case, I looked up my first guess and had it confirmed.......Give yourself a Silver.

trinket likes this.
  6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Tin Star for #262. I'm pretty sure I didn't mess this one up.

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Silver Star. Nice duo.

8. John B Good

That was the clue that clinched my educated guess.

9. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.....

6/14/19

This duo was produced by member of The Neon Philharmonic.

"Playboy" / Gene and Debbe
    TRX Records #17 1968

In 1967, while working as a songwriter in Nashville at Acuff-Rose, Gene Thomas met aspiring singer Debbe Nevill and the two laid down some of Gene's songs for a subsidiary of Hickory records. The sessions were produced by Don Gant before he joined The Neon Philharmonic. The song sold a million and the duo later married, had a son and divorced. Follow-ups barely made it and they faded into OHW oblivion.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with.In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION.....

6/15/19

If this single had not been pulled from the radio by a movie producer, I'm confident it would have made the Top Ten.

Please choose from the answer options above.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. tim_neely

I got #262 correct. Yay!

11. Oldies trivia guy

12. ghoti-man

ghoti-man Active Member

Wow, why would a producer want to limit airplay for a song that might be connected to, and promote, a movie? The first thing that comes to mind is Simple Minds "Don't You Forget About Me" for Breakfast Club...but I think this song was a boon for Simple Minds, not pulled from the air...

13. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

I'm a tin based on the emojis, if the answer is correct.

14. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Again, 'I don't know' for this one. For #262 I was never going to get that one right unless I stumbled on the answer by near accident. The same, it seems, for #263. I simply don't have that knowledge.

I think that in future, I won't post at all when I don't know, and will only post when I've managed to find an answer that has some probability of being correct.

15. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #263....(BTW the emojis are not a clue, it's just me wondering why no one has posted yet) Hint....This was a cover of the original version that was also a OHW the year before

16. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

That's the clue I needed! Silver star.

17. trinket

Tin star, thanks to the clue.

#262 - Got it thanks to the Nashville connection. "Playboy" is one of those songs I know only via the '60s Satellite Survey program on Sirius XM. The same thing goes for "Forever" and "Niki Hoeky."

18. tim_neely

Tin Star for #263. This hit song's history is a tangled mess involving two versions on three different labels over three years (and re-releases on two of the labels) -- and based on primary sources (e.g., trade papers of the era and the records themselves), the modern online sources (Wikipedia, Songfacts, etc.) have it wrong!

I'll try to explain later. But even after extensive research, I'm still not sure I have it completely right.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  19. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Silver for #263... My first guess was correct, but I didn't know the record was pulled.

20. tim_neely

Frankly, I don't think it was. It's more accurate to say that its film was pulled, thus everything associated with it was, too.

geo50000 likes this.
  21. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.....

6/15/19

If this single had not been pulled from the radio by a movie producer, I'm confident it would have made the Top Ten.

"One Tin Soldier" (The Legend of Billy Jack) / Coven

Warner Brothers Records #26 1971

I'm a little confused because my memory of the song was solely based on my experiences from playing both versions on the radio. The first issue of the song was by The Original Caste in 1969 and only reached #34 and was only on the charts for 2 weeks. I think my station played it a little longer than that. A year later when the Coven version was released, it made the Top Ten on my station and I don't remember anything about it being pulled. Of course everyone I knew saw the movie. Another puzzling memory was remembering the version in the movie seemed different from the other versions. According to the sources I use, including Wiki, who states that the singer for Coven, Jinx Dawson, recorded the song solo for the movie with studio musicians but insisted that it be credited to the group. It was re-recorded later by the group for the album. I don't remember playing a Warner Brothers single, only the MGM. Wiki also said "The single went to #26 on the pop chart before being pulled from the radio by the film's producer". I remember hearing nothing about that.
    Above Tim Neely said he has more info so I'll yield to his expertise on this one. Also, it was stated that the song only charted in North America so if you guys across the oceans don't remember it, you missed a great song. When people come to me to ask "Who did...."...One Tin Soldier is the one I get asked about the most.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with.In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION.....

6/16/19

A 1966 song from a duo on the same label as Paul Petersen's "My Dad". (Man, is that ripe for research)

Please choose from the answer options above

bluemooze and ghoti-man like this.
  22. John B Good

I think I remember the song, by Original Caste. Never heard of Coven. Maybe it did better in Canada, as Made in Canada.

Adam9 likes this.
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yeah, I was totally confused by that one too. The Original Caste's version was a huge hit in Toronto, making it to #1 on CHUM Radio.

John B Good likes this.
  24. trinket

Tin star for #264.

25. ghoti-man

ghoti-man Active Member

#263: remember that song well! Would not have connected it though...definitely associated with the movie, never heard about the song being pulled, but I was fairly young then.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.