"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trinket

trinket Well-Known Member

Tin (but relatively painless) star for #265

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Re #264:

Minuteman was a local Boston-area label and is the original. It managed to scrounge up enough money to take out a full-page ad in the March 12, 1966 Billboard promoting the single.

When the Just Us song started to become a hit, it was picked up by Colpix. Just two weeks after the Minuteman ad (March 26, 1966), Colpix took out its own full-page Billboard ad for "I Can't Grow Peaches on a Cherry Tree." But Colpix was on its last legs as a label; it folded in May or June 1966. Therefore, Just Us was left without a label.

Eventually, Just Us landed on Kapp Records, which released a new single in July and the album in October 1966.

3. michiganman45

michiganman45 Forum Resident

Re: #264... Chip Taylor wrote a few really, really good songs!

Re: #265 - Silver... I'm pretty sure, but need to confirm

4. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

:tiphat:

5. Oldies trivia guy

Welcome to the thread. :righton:

michiganman45 likes this.
  6. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've always liked I Can't Grow Peaches on a Cherry Tree, and I've posted it on the forum a few times, such as in the song-titles-that-have-fruit-in-them thread ...

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  7. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I burned a CD of the album and non album tracks. Good duo.

8. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Tin star for #265..

9. downer

downer Senior Member

$265 Gold

10. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #265.....Everytime I hear it I want to go jog on the beach.

11. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Got it with the hint, so some sort of alloy again.

12. tim_neely

Gold Star for #265. The 45 was issued with two different titles.

13. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

#265 - Silver (needed confirmation)

14. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

#265 gold

There's an obvious one that springs to mind first. I was gonna check that he was in fact a OHW in the States, but the hint means I don't need to.

15. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.....

6/17/19

This artist was once asked to join Yes as a replacement for Rick Wakeman.

"Chariots Of Fire -Titles" / Vangelis
    Polydor Records #1 1982

Greek composer, innovator and musician Vangelis, also contributed to the soundtracks of "Blade Runner", "The Bounty", "Missing" and many more. Formerly with the group Aphrodite's Child, their album"666" became a progressive-rock classic. Although he declined Jon Anderson's request to replace Rick Wakeman in Yes, he and Jon formed a partnership and released several albums as Jon and Vangelis.
    In 1981 he composed "Chariots Of Fire" and, due to the movie, became his only American hit. He went on to an extensive career that is too detailed to mention here. (I don't have enough fingers to type out his actual Greek name)

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with.In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION........

6/18/19

Many of you will get it from thinking of the girl on the motorbike:tsk::yikes:, others will have to wait for the hint.

Please choose from the answer options above.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. michiganman45

#266 - pretty sure Gold Star.

Re: #265 - I didn't know that one (although the hint was excellent!).

17. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I'm going with gold star for #266. I'm not going to do any research or checking so I don't spoil my potential first gold star. I'm reasonably confident.

18. tim_neely

Re #265:

I remember answering Vangelis incorrectly a few weeks ago, so I'm glad he finally popped up.

When "Chariots of Fire - Titles" was first issued as a 45, Polydor released it with the inscrutable name of "Titles." It hovered in the lower part of the Hot 100 for weeks (94-92-88-88-85-78-75 its first seven weeks) before it finally started to climb faster, after the movie was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar and then finally, in a big upset, won the Academy Award. Polydor changed the name of the song and gave the single a scarce picture sleeve as it rose up the charts. It eventually hit #1 in its 22nd week on the chart, a record at the time for slowest climb to the top.

Two other Vangels songs became reasonably familiar in the States, though most people had no idea of either the title or artist. The first minute or so of his 1970s recording "Pulstar" was used as the original theme song of "ESPN Sports Center":

Another Vangelis tune, "L'enfant," was used in advertising in the States for, among other things, Old Style beer:

Vangelis - L'enfant

19. Oldies trivia guy

after the movie was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar and then finally, in a big upset, won the Academy Award......Just shows how many radio listeners still need some kinda hype to recognize great music.

20. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #266.......I guess only 2 of you saw the movie. One member was later shot by his wife.

21. tim_neely

Tin Star for #266.

I'd only heard of the film; I've never seen it, nor did I know the plot. So the question was meaningless to me. I was able to find the musician who was shot by his wife, which led to the band and, by extension, the hit song, which doesn't need more cowbell.

22. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Oh no. That hint doesn't match what I thought the song was at all :(

23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

OK, the hint finally clicked with me. With that help, Gold Star for #266.

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The only thing that comes to my mind is Marianne Faithfull on a motorcycle, so I know that it isn't her :)

There should be plastic stars for eliminating possibilities :D

25. michiganman45

Same here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.