"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Larry Mc and Remington Steele like this.
  2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I know this one!!!!!!!!!!! The O'Kaysions with I'm A Girl Watcher first a regional hit on North State Records then picked up nationally by (I think it was ABC? copy down stairs but too lazy to confirm). They were from Eastern North Carolina, specifically Kenly and Wilson. They didn't actually break up. The original horns players were married and had full time jobs so they didn't want to hit the road. They reorganized and hit the road. The guitar player wrote the hit and another member sang it. The one that sang it left after a while but new members were added and they continued for a few years. They broke up after a while, then reformed and a version of the band still performs. Girl Watcher remained very popular in the "Beach Music" scene and they have been very successful playing that circuit to the present. The guy that wrote the hit is still with them, mostly managing the current configuration. Gold Star, knew this one without reference or reading other posts.

3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Wayne Pittman wrote it by himself, though he has to share writing credits with Buck Trails. You know how the music business works. Donnie Weaver sings lead. Weaver signed a deal with another label after the band signed with ABC and he left after a few months on the road with the band. There was a lot of backroom wheeling and dealing between A&R men, booking agents, etc. and a great deal of band turnover for the next few years. It is probably representative of so many 60s bands, similar to the story line of the movie, That Thing You Do.

4. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess you Carolinians were pretty proud of your "local" guys for giving us such a great song. By your response I would presume every music lover from that era and area would have known this answer. It's an example of the opening I wrote for this thread. This song really stood out from the others of that time.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  5. Oldies trivia guy

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!
    P. S. Please indicate if you deserve a gold star, silver star, you guessed or don't know....thanks.
    (Some kind of response will keep the thread updated on the list)

Answer form yesterday.....

"Girl Watcher"/The O'Kaysions
    ABC Records #5 Oct. 1968

New Question.....

9/19/18

Here's one from the 80's. The artist was born in Hollywood in 1950. Discovered by the moguls at Motown in 1976, songs were gathered and an album produced. But, it landed in flop city and started gathering dust on radio station shelves. Producers could not decide which style to assign to the singer. No one category seemed to fit. The artist dropped out of the music business. Then five years later, then Tampa DJ Scott Shannon started playing one of the songs again. To meet the swelling demand for the record Motown re-signed the singer. The record zoomed to #3.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

well I never...
    this one was a little easier to find info on than the last one
    and there is a connection between this one and a previous one Here Comes Summer

I'm not giving answers because so far I haven't known the answers and had to do research to find out the answer

7. downer

downer Senior Member

This one I know...

‘I’ve Never Been To Me’ - Charlene

SonyTek and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]

9. Oldies trivia guy

I have a suggestion for you guys who are just "too smart". If a correct answer is given within a couple of hours after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to continue giving answers. How about this? Instead of posting the answer that you know is correct, just "reserve your place in line" by posting "GOLD STAR" or 'SILVER STAR". I'll trust you are correct. I will always post the correct answer a little after 5:00PM EST. Maybe leave your correct answers and comments sometime between 3-5PM
    so others will still post throughout the day. Thanks

10. Oldies trivia guy

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!
    P. S. Please indicate if you deserve a gold star, silver star, you guessed or don't know.
    I have a suggestion for you guys who are just "too smart". If a correct answer is given within a couple of hours after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to continue giving answers. How about this? Instead of posting the answer that you know is correct, just "reserve your place in line" by posting "GOLD STAR" or 'SILVER STAR". I'll trust you are correct. I will always post the correct answer a little after 5:00PM EST. Maybe leave your correct answers and comments sometime between 3-5PM so others will still post throughout the day. Thanks

Answer from yesterday.....

"I've Never Been To Me"/Charlene
    Motown Records #3 1982

New Question.....

9/20/18

These guys from Memphis High School became part of the touring edition of Ronny & the Daytonas which was a Nashville studio group. Their song was inspired by Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues". They shopped the song around unsuccessfully until Shelby Singleton heard it and booked a recording session. The organ player was the brother of a founding member of the Box Tops.

bluemooze and Juggsnelson like this.
  11. Oldies trivia guy

Please read the 2nd paragraph above before you answer.

12. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I get a Gold Star for this one.

Once the answer is given, I lay down a subsidiary challenge for anyone to name the artist’s follow-up single!

13. Oldies trivia guy

Thanks Mike, and I like your challenge.

14. downer

downer Senior Member

Silver Star :)

15. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Silver star. Great thread - coulda had a gold star yesterday if I had seen it. Challenging, but fair questions.

16. Oldies trivia guy

Thanks Bryan

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I have to amend my challenge to read "One of the artist's follow-up singles — the one with a quite unusual title," as it turns out the record I'm thinking of wasn't the immediate follow-up to the hit but a later release.

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

OK, going by the rules...

The answer is "Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)" by The Hombres.

I'll leave a little more time before posting the later single answer in case anyone knows it.

19. Oldies trivia guy

P. S. Please indicate if you deserve a gold star, silver star, you guessed or don't know.
    I have a suggestion for you guys who are just "too smart". If a correct answer is given within a couple of hours after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to continue giving answers. How about this? Instead of posting the answer that you know is correct, just "reserve your place in line" by posting "GOLD STAR" or 'SILVER STAR". I'll trust you are correct. I will always post the correct answer a little after 5:00PM EST. Maybe leave your correct answers and comments sometime between 3-5PM so others will still post throughout the day. Thanks

Answer from yesterday.....

"Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)"/ The Hombres
    Verve Forecast #12 1967

I believe the other release Mike mentioned is..(I'll just give initials and let Mike give the answer) is it TMOLACIUYH?

New question.......

9/21/18

This artist once worked as a cotton picker, insurance salesman, miner and mortician's assistant. (One of these could have inspired his hit.) The song was recorded in 20 minutes and he released 6 other tunes and only one charted at #66. He did a duet with Bobby Gentry later and it flopped. Can you name this 50's classic?

bluemooze likes this.
  20. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

my first (incorrect) guess

oh, geeze
    right theme
    but not even right decade
    :wtf:

21. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Doug is correct with the title of one of The Hombres’ follow-up singles.

It’s “Take My Overwhelming Love and Cram It Up Your Heart.”

I have the single, which I either got as a cutout or from radio station stock.

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I had an idea of the answer to the latest question, which turned out to be correct. But I had to look it up to be certain.

So I guess I get a gold/silver alloy star.

23. Oldies trivia guy

I'll be sure to add "gold/silver alloy" to the choice list.

24. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

The only version on YouTube sounds like it was taped under a waterfall. But interesting. I always thought the Hombres "Let it all Hang Out" was a one off deal. Not their only long title "If This Ain't Loving You Baby (It'll Have to Do Till I Get Some Sleep)" was the follow up. Their B side single "Am I high" invites the answer "Sure sounds like it".

Reading about the band on Wikipedia I see that a couple of the band met violent ends.

The Hombres - Wikipedia

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

One more thing about The Hombres. I have their one and only album, and there's a five-minute-plus jam version of "Gloria" on it, in the middle of which they suddenly break out into a couple of lines from "Eight Miles High"!

I've been doing psychedelic jam versions of "Gloria" all my life, but I always thought this was a particularly unique touch.

MarkTWIC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.