"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The only thing that Delft suggests to me, leads to guess at two possibilities, but neither can be confirmed by my research.

2. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I think I've got a Tin Star. Delft is just outside of what most maps define as The Hague, so maybe some of the articles lump Delft into The Hague as it the bigger entity.

3. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

You are correct about Barry Mann. That's why I said it was a semi-trick question. The answer was Ron Dante as a singer. He got into the bizz when Kirshner hired him as a songwriter. I love all the comments this question has generated.

4. John B Good

Well, then maybe one of my guesses will be right.

I did figure that the collectible porcelain was NOT the subject of the hint. :)

If it's one of the hit songs I am thinking of, I did buy the album but didn't like it at all.

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

My initial four guesses did not identify Delft as a point of origin. The song I now think is correct does. This is fun. Merci beaucoups.

6. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.......

11/10/18

A group from Delft. (sorry, I couldn't find anything else to use that would not make it too easy)

"Ma Belle Amie" / Tee Set
    Colossus Records #5 1970

The Tee Set hailed from Delft, a tiny town in the Netherlands best known for it's blue and white earthenware. When American producer Jerry Ross met them they consisted of Pete Tetteroo on vocals, Dill Bennink on guitar, Joop Blom on drums, Franklin Madjid on bass, Hans Van Eijck on keyboards. Weeks earlier Jerry Ross had seen Holland's Shocking Blue and, anticipating a "Dutch Invasion" signed up the Tee Set and The George Baker Selection and some other Dutch acts that didn't make it in America. (Hey John54, your comment about Waterloo (Tetteroo) was clever) I hope you see how much more easier it would have been if I had mentioned any of their names or even Northern Europe. Anything about the Dutch would've surely given it away.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

NEW QUESTION.......

11/11/18

His hit was originally titled "Eine Schwarzwaldfahrt" :hide:

Please choose from the answer options above........

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Too easy friend! I got the answer in seconds. Tin for me.

Damiano54 likes this.
  8. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Ok, I thought the Waterloo clue referred to Shocking Blue. They kinda rhyme. :doh:

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Me, too! The four groups I initially considered were that one, Focus, George Baker Selection and Golden Earring. Who knew the Dutch did so well on the American charts!

10. John B Good

I also considered Shocking Blue, but my book of top 40 hits shows a second hit for Golden Earring.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  11. John B Good

The title being in French, I would not have thought the performance was from Holland. Perhaps Belgium if not France.

12. John B Good

#54 Gee, my first Gold Star!

13. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

What I love about the "George Baker Selection" hit "Little Green Bag" is it's title is I believe a record label error as that's not what they're singing at all. It was too late to correct it by the time it became a hit.

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

Yes, it was the Tee Set I was thinking of. The name of the singer, the late Peter Tetteroo, is what I thought "almost rhymed" with Waterloo!

I think I have a gold star for the new one too! I can (more or less) translate that German word.

15. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    need more of these :whistle:
    [​IMG]

John B Good and Damiano54 like this.
  16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

For me, it generally falls in the hard category. Like I said before, personal trivia is not my forte but in this case, it didn't take much to bring me to the answer.

17. Oldies trivia guy

There are some of you that know much more than I do that I want to vary the difficulty of the questions.

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Tin Star for #53

Gold Star for #54.

19. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Tin for #54

20. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

.... and Venus by Shocking Blue was the second track on that compilation album !

Discogs linky ---> Various - 20 Dynamic Hits

#54 - Silver again, my smattering of German language helped :righton:

21. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Question #54: It's a guess but I think I've got this one. If I'm right, the artist's last name (if the spelling is altered slightly) has a connection to a word in the English title of the song.

22. John B Good

Have to admit that it was such a catchy record I totally enjoyed it without paying much attention to the words. But I've just listened to it on You Tube, and he is singing about a little green bag.

And a lyrics site shows this

Yeah
    Lookin' back on the track for a little green bag
    Got to find just a kind or losin' my mind
    Out of sight in the night, out of sight in the day
    Lookin' back on the track gonna do it my way
    Out of sight in the night, out of sight in the day
    Lookin' back
    Lookin' for some happiness
    But there is so a loneliness to find
    Turn to the left turn to the right
    Lookin' upstairs lookin' behind
    Lookin' for some happiness
    But there is so a loneliness to find
    Turn to the left turn to the right
    Lookin' upstairs lookin' behind
    Lookin' back on the track for a little green bag
    Got to find just a kind or losin' my mind
    Out of sight in the night, out sight in the day
    Lookin' back…

23. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

That's wrong. Once you know what they're singing it's obvious. Because you're reading the lyrics you're hearing them. There's another site with different, more correct lyrics here: George Baker Selection – Little Green Bag Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Little Green Bag - Wikipedia

"The track's original title was "Little Greenback", in reference to the color of the US dollar. The first line of the lyric, "Lookin' back on the track for a little greenback", has three rhymes (underlined); "green bag" would not be a true rhyme. However, the single was given the erroneous title, "Little Green Bag", which some took to be a "bag of marijuana". The "Little Green Bag" title was then retained for all subsequently released versions of the single as well as the group's 1970 debut album, also titled Little Green Bag."

24. John B Good

That's cool. Thanks!

MarkTWIC likes this.
  25. Oldies trivia guy

If you listen closely you can hear that he sings Greenback and not Green bag.

crustycurmudgeon and MarkTWIC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.