"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone have a copy of the Hondells album? Does it list who played what?

2. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION......

1/14/19

This band contained members that once played with Otis Redding and were discovered and promoted by The Impressions.

"Color Him Father" / The Winstons
    Metromedia Records #7 1969

Richard Spencer was the leader, songwriter, singer and sax player for this group formed in the late 60's in Washington D.C. Their drummer was G.C. Coleman, a Motown session drummer and member of the Marvelettes touring band. Guitarist Quincy Mattison was with Otis Redding protege Arthur Conley and they all had formerly played with Otis. Other members were Ray Maritano, Phil Tolotta and Sonny Peckrol. They were discovered by the Impressions who took them on the road as their back up band and would give them a solo spot during the show. Spencer's "Father" came to the attention of Atlanta's Metromedia records and went Top 10 on both the Pop and R&B charts.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it or a silver star if you need to confirm it or a Tin Star if you need to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION........

1/15/19

The writers of the song (one who went on to be a successful arranger and "wrecking crew" session musician) worked across the hall from where the artist worked as a photographers assistant. They invited him to a studio session and surprised him when they asked him to do the vocal to this future hit. After the limelight faded he worked building Hollywood sets.

Please choose from the answer options above........

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I wuz wrong - thought it was the Mar-kays "Last Night."

4. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Tin star for 119.

5. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Okay, I either have a gold star or am completely wrong about question 119. The part about building movie sets is what makes me think I know the answer.

6. Oldies trivia guy

Let us know if you were correct when I post the answer.

7. Oldies trivia guy

#119 hint......One of the writers had a lot to do with Glen Campbell's early hits.

8. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

The rules says I can state a guess because I'm not at all sure.

My guess is "The Land of Oz" by Le Cirque

9. Oldies trivia guy

1/15/19

The writers of the song (one who went on to be a successful arranger and "wrecking crew" session musician) worked across the hall from where the artist worked as a photographers assistant. They invited him to a studio session and surprised him when they asked him to do the vocal to this future hit. After the limelight faded he worked building Hollywood sets.

"Mr. Custer" / Larry Verne
    Era Records #1 1960

It's interesting that in the sources I've found, none mention the fact that the writer's credit on the label is incorrect. In 1960, Al DeLory, Fred Darian and Joseph Van Winkle worked in an office across the hall from a photographer's studio where Larry Verne worked as an assistant. They became friends and the writers invited Larry to the studio with them the day they were to record "Mr. Custer". When they got there, they told Larry to go into the booth and voice it. Eight other singles and an album were released but nothing happened. Larry went on the work as a set builder in Hollywood and died in 2013. Al DeLory went on to play keyboards for Phil Spector sessions and was the producer and arranger for most of Glen Campbell's early hits.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it or a silver star if you need to confirm it or a Tin Star if you need to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION.......

1/16/19

Jerry Garcia played steel guitar on this hit that was born as a backstage ad lib by the artists.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Silver star for #120

11. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Yes, I was correct! Very happy because I'm not familiar with at least 95% of the songs or artists that have made up most of this thread, but I find it interesting enough to visit on a mostly daily basis.

Anyway, although I have Mr. Custer on a Dr. Demento compilation, it was the booklet for the Ace records compilation - "The Golden Age of American Rock 'N' Roll - Novelty" that I remembered reading about Larry's job working on and building movie sets (I also remembered that they found the singer because he worked in the same building). I didn't know that one of the song writers was part of The Wrecking Crew and for a moment started to doubt my guess.

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder if in today's climate Please Mr Custer would not get banned?

13. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

By who? Back in the 50's and 60's the Old West was all over prime T.V. and the story of Little Big Horn was pretty common knowledge. These day very few people, in particular, anyone under the age of 40-45, has much, if any, knowledge or interest in the west. It wouldn't get played as it has no resonance with the current market...unless they did a real banging remix and had Drake drop a couple of rhymes on that track.
    Then you might have something.

14. Farmer Mike

Gold for #120

15. Oldies trivia guy

LOL....I'm trying to imagine a dance mix of Mr. Custer.

16. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Silver Star for #110, though according to one source the clue, while in the ballpark, is not quite accurate.

17. Oldies trivia guy

Did you mean #120?

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Oops, sorry…yes, #120.

19. Oldies trivia guy

1/16/19

Jerry Garcia played steel guitar on this hit that was born as a backstage ad lib by the artists.

"One Toke Over The Line" / Brewer & Shipley
    Kama Sutra Records #10 1971

Mike Brewer said "The song came about by chance in a dressing room one night. We had one too many and broke into song, just kidding around, not really trying to write anything". Neil Bogart, founder of Buddah records, heard us do the diddy as an encore one night and thought it was a natural and made it our next single. Jerry Garcia was on steel guitar and Mark Naftalin on keyboards. (Although Wikipedia says that Garcia was on another track on the "Tarkio" album called "Oh Mommy") Check out this other video of it being performed by Gail and Dale on the Lawrence Welk Show. Welk called it a modern spiritual.

One Toke Over The Line - Lawrence Welk - WTF! (1971)

NEW QUESTION.........

1/17/19

Their name came from a box of cough drops and the song was originally meant to be the "B" side of a Commodores song.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Farmer Mike

On the original LP, the only pedal steel credit is for Jerry and it doesn't identify a specific track. The Discogs listing for the CD reissues gives credits Jerry for one track and gives Mike Bloomfield a credit for guitar that is not on the original LP notes.
    Did Bloomfield or Nick Gravenites play on that song and is it a pedal steel or is it slide?

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol at the synergy of One Toke Over The Line and Neil Bogart.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  22. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Gold star for 121. I think I remember reading this some time in the past.

23. Oldies trivia guy

:tiphat::biglaugh:

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I think I remember reading this, too. Just wish I could remember what "this" is.

25. Farmer Mike

Silver for #121, the second part of the clue is tricky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.