"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

If it was Plastic Bertrand, it was.

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

My 9-year-old self really disliked Dominique. I don't mind it so much now but I wouldn't go looking for it.

It is however a good example of the diversity of the charts in 1963.

Manapua likes this.
  3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

As a fellow '54, I can totally agree with your assessment. It sounded vaguely spooky to my ears but as age often softens one's sensibilities, so have my feelings for this one. I wouldn't ever need to hear it again but should it come on, I wouldn't reach for the mute. And if anything, as you say, it shows just how quirky and fun 60s radio could be.

John54 likes this.
  4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I hope all will work out for you, Doug, and that you'll be able to resume. I have really enjoyed this thread.

Damiano54 likes this.
  5. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm Baaaack !

Sorry I had to leave for a bit but everything's OK now.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it or a silver star if you need to confirm it or a Tin Star if you need to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION.....

1/30/19

A writing team recorded this composition of theirs using a name taken from the title of another hit. There was no real group.

Please choose from the answer options above........

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Good to have ya back! And as inscrutable as ever.

7. Oldies trivia guy

Wow! what a big word, lol, good to be back now let's get some responses going here.....

8. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Tin star on No. 127. I had almost given up and then suddenly the writing team came into
    my head.

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Gold Star for #127. Like Damiano, I had nothing at first, then the answer came to me in a flash.

Very glad you're back, Doug!

10. Oldies trivia guy

Thanks..glad to be back.

11. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.......

1/30/19

A writing team recorded this composition of theirs using a name taken from the title of another hit. There was no real group.

"The Kind Of Boy You Can't Forget" / The Raindrops
    Jubilee Records #17 1963

Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich met in 1960 soon after Jeff had written "Tell Laura I Love Her". Ellie was a singer with RCA and had released a single called "Silly Isn't It" under the name Ellie Gaye. Jeff started paying her $15 per demo to record some of his songs. She was later hired as a songwriter for Lieber and Stoller at $100 a week and together with Jeff went on the write songs like "Be My Baby", "Chapel Of Love", "Doo Ron Ron", "Do Wah Diddy Diddy", "Hanky Panky", "Leader Of the Pack", and many more in addition to getting married. They were writing "The Kind Of Boy" with the Sensations in mind but the guys at Jubilee records thought their demo was good enough for a hit. They chose the name Raindrops from Dee Clark's recent hit "Raindrops". They almost broke the Top 40 again with the tune "What A Guy" that made it to #41. The third female on the album cover was just a friend that appeared nowhere on the record.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION........

1/31/19

Known to some as "The Voice" he was beaten to the charts with one of his c0-writer's songs by one of the hottest groups of the day so had to release another one of his compositions instead. He died in 1988 at the age of 38 without having another Top 40 hit.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Tin star on No. 128

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've always loved The Kind of Boy You Can't Forget; had I decided to flog my memory I could probably have come up with the answer to #127 ...

The Raindrops did That Boy John later in '63 and Book of Love in '64, both great and the latter better IMHO than the Monotones' hit. Later (mid-'70s) I found What a Guy, which preceded these songs; it was something of a disappointment.

14. Oldies trivia guy

bluemooze, John54 and a customer like this.
  15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

My Gold Star for #127 is intact!

I never heard "What a Guy" on the radio, but do recall hearing The Raindrops' take on "Book of Love" briefly.

By the way, "That Boy John" was starting to climb the charts in late 1963 and looked like it would be a hit. Then JFK was assassinated, and it quickly disappeared.

John54 likes this.
  16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Glad you're back!

Silver Star for #128. I knew the hit, and the earlier song, but had no idea the singer died so young. So I looked him up just to be sure.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  17. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Tin star for 128. I had read about the two songs in question, but obviously it didn't stick well enough.

18. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Tin star on #128. Never heard of the track or artist but easily researched from the clues.

19. Oldies trivia guy

Thanks, glad to be back.

20. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Glad you're back. Love this thread, even though I'm a 70's guy onwards, and I'm English, so I've actually got no chance with a lot of these!

#127 I looked at Goffin and King or Bacharach and David, but obviously came up dry.

#128 should be more my era, so I'm gonna put my thinking cap on!

21. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.......

1/31/19

Known to some as "The Voice" he was beaten to the charts with one of his c0-writer's songs by one of the hottest groups of the day so had to release another one of his compositions instead. He died in 1988 at the age of 38 without having another Top 40 hit.

"My Maria" / B. W. Stevenson
    RCA Records #9 1973

Once labeled as "The Voice", Louis Stevenson was from Dallas and was given the nickname initials B.W. which stood for Buckwheat. He almost had his breakthrough with "Shambala" which was written by his friend Daniel Moore but Three Dog Night beat him to it. So, they came up with "My Maria" instead and took it to the top 10. In the mid 80's he had a successful Contemporary Christian album and died of a staph infection after heart surgery in 1988.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION..........

2/1/19

This five piece band was founded featuring 2 pair of brothers and had some decent selling albums but only one Top 40 hit.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Gold star #129. I can think of 2 five piece bands with two pairs of brothers. Only one fits the question.

23. Oldies trivia guy

After I post the answer, let me know what other group you were thinking of.

24. Oldies trivia guy

Need a hint for #129?....Some plants were deprived of their homes.

25. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Welcome back,
    Gold for #129

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.