"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I'll second that, #141 Tin Star.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm always happy to put Denise on a Doo Wop comp, and catch a few listeners who think it might be a Four Seasons song.

hugh . g. likes this.
  3. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

BTW...here's the Blondie version of "Denis".

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Tin Star for #142. I'm a big fan of the song that contains the lyric you quoted and still couldn't place it without looking it up.

John B Good likes this.
  5. John B Good

Silver star. He was also responsible for writing Story song.

6. John B Good

Missed the Scooby doo but liked the French augmentation.

7. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION....

2/14/19

In one of his previous hits, he wrote "You came upon a quiet day, you simply seemed to take your place".

"Welcome Back" / John Sebastian
    Reprise Records #1 1976

One of "his" previous hits refers to a song he wrote and sang as part of the Lovin' Spoonful, "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice". "Welcome Back" is a separate song by a separate artist. Yes, a solo performer can have a OHW even thought he, as part of a group, had previous hits. NOTE: The first song in this thread is one by Sonny apart from Sonny and Cher. This title by this artist is a OHW.
    When they asked him to write a theme song for a new TV show he was told that the title was "Kotter". He read the script and wrote "Welcome Back". They liked the title and changed the name of the show to "Welcome Back" and then thinking that may be a little too nostalgic, they combined the two and made it "Welcome Back Kotter".

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION......

2/15/19

These guys won recording time in a California Battle of the Bands contest. That effort failed but later went in and recorded this song while basically ad-libbing most of it.

Please choose from the answer options above........

bluemooze likes this.
  8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

#142 was easy for me, since "You Didn't Have to Be So Nice" is my favorite Lovin' Spoonful song, although there are so many others I love as well.

9. John54

John54 Senior Member

I could / should have got that, I love You Didn't Have to Be So Nice! But I couldn't place the lyric to a melody ...

10. Oldies trivia guy

Re: #143.....They were from San Jose. (Thought maybe I made it too hard)

11. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Tin for #143.

12. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Gold Star for #143.

13. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Tin star for 143. The clue helped, as I only know of about half a dozen San Jose bands.

14. Oldies trivia guy

One source says they were forerunners of psychedelic rock...Hmmmmm, I would've never thought that.

15. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Tin Star for #143.

16. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION......

2/15/19

These guys won recording time in a California Battle of the Bands contest. That effort failed but later went in and recorded this song while basically ad-libbing most of it.

"Hey Little Girl" / The Syndicate Of Sound
    Bell Records #8 1966

From San Jose, California, they were up against 100 other bands in a Battle of the Bands contest and won. The prize was recording time with Del-Fi Records which produced a single called "Tell The World" that went nowhere. Their new manager asked if they had any other new material so they came up with "Little Girl" for which they had the music but no words till the day of recording and still were ad-libbing some of them on the spot. Released by Bell records, the song took off. Two other releases failed along with efforts by Capitol and Buddah records. Some say this garage band were forerunners of psychedelic rock.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION.....

2/16/19

This band became a label's house band and 2 members later became part of the new house band who had multiple hits on their own..

Please choose from the answer options above........

bluemooze likes this.
  17. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I thought I had a silver star for 144, but the two bands had 5 members in common, not just two, according to Wikipedia.

18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Silver for #144.

19. Oldies trivia guy

You still may be correct.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Got my Gold Star on #143.

Any time The Syndicate of Sound is mentioned, I have to talk about the B-side to their big hit "Little Girl."

It's hard to think of two songs that are so totally different from one another. But that B-side, "You," has haunted me ever since I heard it played repeatedly in a Woolworth's in Midland, Michigan in that summer of 1966. (Remember how if you left the arm that held the records on an automatic 45 record player up, the tone arm would get to the end of the record, then swing out and settle at the beginning of the record again? That's what happened that day.)

Anyway, here's "You" — a unique song from the 60s that still gets to me after all these years.

bluemooze, troggy, geo50000 and 2 others like this.
  21. John B Good

Excellent. And I kept thinking Riders on the Storm as I listened.

22. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #144........"PLAY IT, STEVE!"

Adam9 likes this.
  23. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I was thinking along the lines of the 2nd band so the hint confirmed the OHW band.

Tin for #144.

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I forgot how incredibly hot she was. :cop:

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The hint for #144 clarified it for me. So Gold/Silver alloy, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.