"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. Hey, you just created a new star - alloy!

2. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.......

2/16/19

This band became a label's house band and 2 members later became part of the new house band who had multiple hits on their own.

"Last Night" / The Mar-Keys
    Satellite Records #3 1961

Starting in 1957, The Royal Spades attended Messick High School in Memphis. The original group consisted of "Packy" Axton on sax, Steve Cropper on guitar, Donald "Duck" Dunn on Bass, Charlie Freeman on guitar and sometimes Jerry Smith on piano. Estelle Axton and her brother Jim Stewart set up a small studio in Brunswick, Tn. and decided to call their new label Satellite. After the success of "Last Night", they were threatened with a lawsuit from a similar sounding company out of California so they changed the name to Stax (STewart & AXton) The group changed their name to the Mar-Keys after recording "Last Night" and numerous member changes evolved them into Booker T & The MG's. These guys along with others supplied the Stax sound and were heard on many, many Memphis hits. In the song "Soul Man" by Sam and Dave, you hear Sam say "play it Steve" referring to Steve Cropper.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION......

2/17/19

This song by a white group was written by a soul singer with 4 hits to his own credit.

Please choose from the answer options above........

bluemooze likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Gold Star for #145.

4. Oldies trivia guy

Anyone know if Estelle Axton was related to Mae Boren Axton?

5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

If she were, it would be by marriage only, as Boren was her maiden name, and Axton was the name of her husband. As you probably know, they were the parents of Hoyt Axton.

ETA: And Axton was also Estelle's married name. She was born Estelle Stewart, and of course it was with her brother Jim that she started Stax Records.

6. Oldies trivia guy

Yes, I knew the "by marriage" aspect. Probably should've just asked if there was a family connection. In addition to being the mother of Hoyt, Mae also co-wrote "Heartbreak Hotel".

7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Right!

I didn't turn up any evidence that Estelle's and Mae's husbands were related. Mae came out of Texas, while Estelle was a native of Memphis.

8. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.....

2/17/19

This song by a white group was written by a soul singer with 4 hits to his own credit.

"Oh How Happy" / Shades Of Blue
    Impact Records #12 1966

They started out in high school as the Domingo's. They were discovered by Edwin Starr (real name Charles Hatcher) who took them to Golden World Records. Sources differ about their tenure there, one saying they were never accepted when Starr presented them so he took them to Impact records. Starr wrote the song while in the service in Germany back around 1961 and gave it to the new Shades of Blue to record for Impact. Edwin went on to have four hits of his own in the late 60's - early 70's. As with most OHW's other songs were released but went nowhere.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION......

2/18/19

This artist had a song recorded by a then current megagroup and was the cousin of another established artist.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Silver star for #146. I was unsure that the two artists were actually related.

10. Oldies trivia guy

What! only one response? I thought this one would be rather easy.

11. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

A clue can be inferred from my post.

12. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #146.....He was from Tennessee but wrote about the Northeast.

13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

OK, Silver Star for #146 with the help of the hint.

14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I got it from the hint. Silver Star for #146. I always wondered if the two guys were related.

15. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION........

2/18/19

This artist had a song recorded by a then current megagroup and was the cousin of another established artist.

"Please Come To Boston" / Dave Loggins
    Epic Records #5 1974

From Mountain City, Tn., and second cousin to Kenny Loggins, Dave got his first break when Three Dog Night recorded his "Pieces Of April". After that step up he was approached by Epic for some other acoustic hits. "Boston" made it, other attempts didn't. He did contribute songs to many Country artists into the 80's.

NEW QUESTION......

2/19/19

The first British group to have a #1 hit in the U.S..

bluemooze likes this.
  16. downer

downer Senior Member

#147 Goldstar

17. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Silver for 147.

18. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Gold for #147

19. John54

John54 Senior Member

#147 EEEEEE-ZEEEEE!

Not a one-hit wonder in the UK though.

20. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

Had a long think about this one - had to check - so Silver :)

21. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

silver I guess
    knew but looked it up to be sure

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Gold Star for #147.

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Silver for #147. Couldn't decide between 2 songs so had to verify.

24. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #147.......A couple of days ago, the OHW was on "Satellite" records.

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Gold Star for #147. I had to stick up for this tune in another thread recently, when someone said it was terrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.