"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hint for #202......I could give you 73 hints but I'm just going to give you one.

2. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I can only think of one band from Tampa, and they did have a one hit wonder, but they don't fit any of the other clues.

3. Harry Hood

Ah, tin star for #202

When the singer joined the second band, they had already had their one hit wonder.

4. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.........

4/15/19

These guys originated in Tampa. After their OHW the founding singer/guitarist left to join another OHW group who had a classic hit.

"Ride Captain Ride" / Blues Image

Atco Records #4 1970

Founding member Mike Pinera and the rest of Blues Image were from Tampa, Florida and built a pretty good rep for themselves before taking off for Miami and becoming house band at a popular club called Thee Image. Moving on the L.A., they were signed by Atlantic Records where their second album, "Open", featured this OHW. Pinera left the group to join Iron Butterfly (after "Da-Vida") and was replaced by Denny Correll. Since Wiki says that Pinera left during the recording of the "Open" album, my sources are unclear on which sang lead on "Captain", Pinera or Correll. I'm sure one of you will let us know.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with.In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION.........

4/16/19

He wrote the tune after seeing some kids doing the dance. He also was singing background on "Rockin' Robin".

Please choose from the answer options above.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

If you know who's who (I don't), this could be your answer:

6. Harry Hood

I was thinking of The Outlaws, by the way.

7. Oldies trivia guy

The photos of Denny that I found resemble the guy in this video. But, we still don't know how long after the recording this video was filmed.

8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I watched a clip of a Pinera performance from around 6 or 7 years ago and he mentioned a few times that he wrote the song. Can't say whether that's his vocal on the original though, since his voice has a higher pitch than that heard on the record. A site called Rockzion Records says he wrote and sang it in a bio. Interestingly enough, the Pop Singles chart book doesn't even mention Correll being a member and it's usually pretty good at that sort of thing.

9. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I've honestly never heard this track in my life before. It's not bad, I'm sure I'd have remembered it if I had. I'm from the UK, they presumably didn't do anything over here.

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was huge in Australia. It still gets played on Oldies radio.

downer and MarkTWIC like this.
  11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Re #202:

It was said in the 1970s that the song was inspired by a now largely forgotten international incident involving the U.S.S. Pueblo, which was taken captive by North Korea in 1968 with 83 (not 73) men on board. One man died during the attack; the others were held as hostages/prisoners of war. The soldiers were finally returned to the U.S. almost a year later after tense negotiations. The Pueblo remains in North Korea to this day.

The band said the song was completely unrelated. The number 73 had a prosaic origin: It was the number of keys on Mike Pinera's Fender Rhodes.

12. Oldies trivia guy

1. Maybe we can presume that Pinera sang it since he wrote it.

2. I remember the Pueblo incident quite well, it's Commander, Lloyd Boucher, was severely disciplined for it.

13. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i had always wondered what that song was about. it sounded so "happy" and yet.

now i know.

14. Oldies trivia guy

Hint for #203.....Then song was not all it was "quacked" up to be.

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Silver Star for #203 following the hint. The intersection of the artist with various other artists/records is an interesting one.

16. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Guessing at 203. Had a slight acquaintance at the time named Doug. He was the butt of some joking references.

17. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Silver for #203, the second hint did it. Sly Stone produced a cover version by Bobby Freeman.

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It was Pinera. He even wrote a soundalike sequel a couple years later for the odd "New Cactus Band" album:

Manapua likes this.
  19. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

203 - Tin

20. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION......

4/16/19

He wrote the tune after seeing some kids doing the dance. He also was singing background on "Rockin' Robin".

"The Duck" / Jackie Lee
    Mirwood Records #14 1966

Bobby Byrd and Earl Lee Nelson had been members of The Hollywood Flames who had a hit in 1958 with "Buzz-Buzz-Buzz".
    Byrd also had a solo career where he recorded "Rockin' Robin" under the name Bobby Day. Earl sang back-up. In 1962 Bobby Byrd was replaced by Bobby Relf . In 1963, they wrote and recorded "Harlem Shuffle" which was arranged by Barry White. Later Earl, aka Jackie Lee, (his wife's name and his middle name) wrote "The Duck" after seeing some teenagers doing the dance. Mirwood records was impressed with the song and released it nationally.

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with.In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart.
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know that you know the answer, without any doubt, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. Good luck and have fun !

NEW QUESTION........

4/17/19

He was formerly bandleader for The Everly Brothers and wrote a hit for Linda Ronstadt.

Please choose from the answer options above.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

204 - Tin

22. John B Good

I was thinking of Disco Duck by Rick Dee. No tin star for me :(

23. John B Good

Gold Star!

24. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras