One LP I should add to my collection and why

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sillycornelius, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

[Head_Unit sez: that was not released on vinyl either :shake:]
    Ah, I absolutely LOVE everything S.O.S. has done. On vinyl...huh. I was going to nominate Where Our Love Grows, so lush sounding, that would sound fabulous on good vinyl but seems only released on CD. Looks like you have to go all the way back to
    Swing Out Sister - Get In Touch With Yourself
    for vinyl. I was "done" with vinyl long ago but if there was ever a band to spinning on retro hipster platters in cool downtown loft conversions, Swing Out Sister is #1 on the list methinks! Gotta lobby them for Record Store Day...or generally, I'd think they could make some business with vinyl.

sillycornelius and tug_of_war like this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Meanwhile, my nomination is Motorhead: Ace Of Spades. Because, the cover! Because, the title track! Because, how can you go wrong with a song title like "Love Me Like a Reptile"? Because, I bought it for 10 cents at a garage sale, and it opened the flood gates to a metal life!
    Alternate nomination: their No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith, perhaps the nastiest ass-kicking ever committed to grooves (I edge it out over MC5's Kick Out The Jams). The toughest "separate the REAL speakers from the weenie pretenders" test material I know.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is what I wanted to post. Especially since the current reissue is quite cheap and cut by Bernie Grundman!

4. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

This record, Pirate's Choice, was recorded in Senegal by Orcestra Baobab in the early 1980's. It's a mellow, moody masterpiece. The current World Circuit pressing is demonsration grade and inexpensive.

5. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Fantastic Blues man we lost way to early. Not of the traditional way we think of seasoned Blues Men. Hard. Dirty. Rough. Bold. Steeped in tradition, slithering, always percolating below the surface. This guy is f***in’ heavy. I never hear mention of him and if I do it’s a sure indication there’s an appreciation of The Blues much deeper then that of the causal or even many educated listeners. There are a number of guys, many actually, that are only in the pockets of those in the know... John Campbell is one of them. I’m by no means completist just for the sake of being a completist... I have everything John Campbell has recorded and what’s more important; play it all with some regularity.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Rob6899 and sillycornelius like this.
  6. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, these are some great recommendations. After reading your responses, if I had a do-over I'd probably replace "favorite" with "your highest recommendation" - or something like that - in my original post. I totally understand the pressure that the word "favorite" causes for obsessive music fans like us. ;)

Keep 'em coming!

jupiterboy and rainbow dome like this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

All time favorite lp is kind of an impossible question though. All time favorite in which genre? On what day? I mean I have no idea whether you are completely opposed to classical music. You may be a huge Chipmunks fan but dont have their very best album.

sillycornelius likes this.

9. Welcome! Any background info? You came of age in the 70s? 80s? 90s?00s? You worked at a record store. Beatles obsessive?

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

In the rock genre Buddy Holly From The Original Master Tapes, Little Richard Here's Little Richard, Chuck Berry The Great 28 and Elvis Presley Elvis Presley album/Elvis At Sun/Elvis' Golden Records. For me, that is the Mount Rock-more of the genre.

Just one? Chuck Berry.

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Worst cover ever in the history of Prog.

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Great choice.

13. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

Welcome! I'd recommend Broadcast - Tender Buttons (Warp, 2005). Electronic art-pop with a stark, retro-futuristic sonic palette and surrealistic lyrics stoically sung by the incomparable Trish Keenan, who tragically died in 2011 of a prior pandemic (H1N1). This album didn't bowl me over at first, but it's proven to be one of the most addictive in my collection, probably a top 10 album of all time for me.

Of what's already been recommended, I second Blue Bell Knoll: the most baroque and psychedelic of dream pop records.

hman, Echoes Myron, Davey and 2 others like this.
  14. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

If you don't own it already, there really is only one answer.

The reason? It's may be the greatest rock album ever made. Certainly it changed the way we look at what an album can be. It changed me.

[​IMG]

15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

If you like that old Stax/Motown flavour in your music, an obvious one to check out is the first Dexy's Midnight Runners album; 'Searching For The Young Soul Rebels'. Go for the expanded deluxe with all the relevant singles and b-sides.
    Big 'horn' sound and some very danceable songs with GREAT lyrics. The 'Projected Passion Review' live album's pretty awesome too.

Shame they blew it all with 'Too-Rye-Ay'.

16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

And that would be ' The Chipmunks Do Dylan '. Incredible album.

sillycornelius and mpayan like this.
  17. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Led Zeppelin 2 because it's their heaviest & most rockin' & with fabulous riffs.
    There are a few songs with a bit of acoustic guitar, too, so there's that.

18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I was surprised I never heard of him before, I could invision him playing in the same clubs as SRV back in the day. However something stopped him from being mainstream and widely known. I like his dark raw blues sound, like he really did sell his soul at the crossroads. The record store put this title in my box as it's new on vinyl, that's how I heard of him. Know I Know:righton:

Rob6899 and sillycornelius like this.
  19. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

I did not mention this guy either but before my Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher rabbit holes, I was really going deep on Bo Diddley. Have Gun, Will Travel and Black Gladiator, fantastic albums. Loved his sound and seems to get lost in shuffle of guitarists and blues/funk.

20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Beatles "White Album"

Sprawling, diverse-as-hell collection of songs from the greatest pop/rock band ever -- a combination of them all harmoniously playing together... and others which are closer to solo outings when they were pissed at each other.

fab4ever, Rob6899 and sillycornelius like this.
  21. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Hi Silly,well who do you like?-Jazz-Soul-Classical-Standards-Rap-Hip Hop-R&B? just find the ones you like,take the best LP and there ya go!

22. sillycornelius

Thanks! I suppose I was initially trying not to divulge too much so I wouldn't influence suggestions. But... I was born in 1972, I'm a musician, and I regularly listen to music from all decades (but rarely anything prior to the '50s). And as I mentioned previously I'm not fond of modern/contemporary country music, but someone may be able to convince me otherwise. In fact that would be pretty amazing if someone could convince me! I like the Beatles but I'm far from being an obsessive (but I am a music obsessive and a vinyl obsessive). And yes, I worked in record stores from 1990-1995.

Is that helpful or did I just write a riddle??

zphage likes this.
  23. sillycornelius

Your responses are a great reminder that although I tend to think that I know "everything" about music, I really, really (really) do not.

I'm seriously starting a spreadsheet to keep track of all of this!

24. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

Public Image Limited

Metal Box

I remember when I originally purchased this I had not heard the first PIL album and was expecting something akin to The Sex Pistols.

To my amazement the sonic landscape was something new and exciting.

Well worth your time to dive into.

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland - because it's the greatest rock album ever made.
    You have soft soul, hard rock, deep blues, spacey prog, blues-rock, jazzy blues, pop and All Along The Watchtower! No other album matches its majesty, depth and scope (oh, and the guitar playing is off-the-scale brilliant).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.