One More Question about Adding a Graphic EQ to a Stereo Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Whidbey65, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

An EQ isn't just about fixing an inadequate amp, it's also for tailoring the sound to one's liking.

An EQ is much more powerful than treble and bass controls. It has more precisely defined frequency bands, separate settings for left and right, and the ranges are wider.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Keep in mind that people have different backgrounds, the very purist/high end oriented suggestions might not be up your street.

And you have one misunderstanding: Your amp does have a tape loop, you just overlooked it. That means you are not limited to an EQ with several inputs, you can use any EQ you want. There are lots of cheap options in the used market.

Whidbey65 and nwdavis1 like this.
  3. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Alright people, let me ask, just to be sure -

If a receiver has only one tape input, can that single tape input serve as a "monitor" or is that the case only if there is a tape 2 input?
    I always though there had to be a second tape input in order to serve as a monitor.

4. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

An unconquerable argument !!

And I think there is the basic objection to eggs eating is the feeling people use ignorantly it to make exaggeration! Some time ago, the winner of eggs eating championship ate 32 eggs and died from his achievement…

Therefore, never eat eggs nor use EQs!

5. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

It’s NOT “14 total bands”, but 7 total bands! And the fact it has its lowest slider at 60 Hz doesn’t allow to get the “deep bass” (“25…45 Hz” band, lamentably rolled-off in practically all market LSs models) reproduction.

Whidbey65 and pterodactyl like this.
  6. Whidbey65

Whidbey65 New Member Thread Starter

The Yamaha A-30 equalizer is, in my humble opinion, is a much more usable EQ than the Rockville REQ42-S EQ, which I made a mistake in buying it and will be returning it because it does not do what I had hoped it would do for me. As far as the "deep bass" comment above this comment, I mostly listen to classical guitar music so I'm not really into the deep bass sounds of so many rock-and-roll fans, but I have bought one more speaker, a small Klipsch subwoofer, which will (I hope) make up the difference in the EQ and some bass sounds my amp/equalizer doesn't have, but, Also, I need one more bit of advice from you experts about setting up my stereo system, and that is how I would properly hook up a small Klipsch K-100SW 10-inch Powered Subwoofer to either one of my amplifiers (preferably, the Yamaha A-30) when none of them have an output specially designed for a subwoofer connected by a RCA subwoofer connection (with 2 RCA male jacks at either end)? Do I go through my regular speakers connections (if so, what connection cable is available for it with 2 RCA jacks to plug into the Subwoofer and 2 bare + and - wires to hook up to my amp speaker connection) or through the Output (Record) connection in my amplifier? If neither of these (or any other ideas from your expert opinion) does not work, then I will have to put them up for sell since I don't have the money to buy a better amplifier that already have the built-in Subwoofer connection in it. Thanks again for your expert help and suggestions on this problem.

7. rp600m

rp600m Well-Known Member

Whidbey65,
    Your subwoofer does not have high level inputs to connect speaker wires. So you will have to connect subwoofer using RCA outputs of amp. If your amp has only one set of RCA pre outputs that you currently use, you will have to buy an RCA splitter to split off to subwoofer. My tape loop RCA will not allow me to connect sub because I cannot adjust volume with knob on amp. Next time buy a subwoofer that also has high level inputs for using speaker wire as connection. Some or all Polk subs have these as do many others.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Whidbey65 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.