One of my YouTube videos is going to hit a million views sometime tonight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Nov 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I've been refreshing this page, and my Chicago School of Rock video of Judas Priest's Victim of Changes just hit 999,900 views. But I have to get to sleep:

[​IMG]

Got to get up early tomorrow to see The Right Stuff in the theater. It's playing at the Pickwick in the Chicago area, and I haven't seen it in the theater since 1983.

Anyway, if you're completely bored and have absolutely nothing better to do, can someone capture a screenshot of my video hitting a million? Thanks so much!

2. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

That's really cool. A nice video and I've always been fascinated with the concept of viral videos. One of my friends is best friends with a guy who specializes in pranks on YT and makes a whole lot of money from the ad revenue. He has several that have over 20m views each and for some time was averaging at least 1 million views per video and cumulatively has several hundred million total views. Not to derail the topic too much as that's a nice achievement and probably fewer than 1% of people with a channel have hit that kind of milestone. Congrats!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Thanks!

This one wound up blowing up when Scott Ian of the band Anthrax shared it on his Facebook page, saying "I was just like this is a kid except they're a lot better than I ever was!" So it just started going crazy.

I think people also just really enjoy the incongruity of a 12 year old girl singing this song.

4. Chris DeVoe

My second most popular video has half a million views, and the vast majority only have a few thousand.

5. Chris DeVoe

One thing about having a million views is that it really impresses people, and makes them take me more seriously as someone to potentially shoot video for them. The ironic part is that the number of times a video is viewed is the one thing over which I have absolutely no control.

6. Chris DeVoe

A million and twelve:

[​IMG]

7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I am one of those million views! It was probably a mere 300,000 views at the time.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Just think, if you were the artist monetizing the video, you'd finally receive a commision check for $15

9. Chris DeVoe

Actually, I'm the creator of the video and I do monetize it.

forthlin likes this.
  10. So the performer gets nothing ?

Shawn, four sticks and showtaper like this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The performer gets a million views.

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

If the song as identified by YouTube's Content ID system, the songwriter gets money as well.

Looking at analytics, over last 28 days I made $32.36. Since I started monetizing videos back in February 6th of 2017, I have made a grand total of $555.42.

Edit: Actually I take that back. I've only been monetizing for just over a year, and while all the data is available on my phone, if I want to do a deep dive on exactly how much I've earned, I'd have to look at it on my laptop screen.

SandAndGlass and Mazzy like this.
  13. And money ?

14. Chris DeVoe

Yes, and money. I'm not on that side of the equation as I'm not a songwriter, but I created my channel and I chose to monetize it, and I get a share of the ad revenue. YouTube's Content ID system recognizes the song, and links to the publishing company. If the record company has the publishing rights, then they presumably are stealing at all from the artist.

15. Chris DeVoe

I had done the math previously on a post a couple of months back:

I'm not going to post a chart, but here's the income from my most popular video over the last 28 days:

Judas Priest - Victim of Changes - Chicago School of Rock

Minutes Watched: 25,287

Views: 6,899

Your estimated revenue: $18.08

YouTube Premium revenue: $0.37

Again, these are silly numbers. I only post them because, as far as I can tell, I'm the only person who's participated on this thread who's actually earning any money from music.

So, with roughly 7,000 views, I earned $20. (Judas Priest also earned $20.)

If I'd written the song, I would have earned twice as much.

Let's extrapolate. 7,000 =$20
    70,000=$200
    700,000=$2,000
    7,000,000=$20,000

All those numbers are per month. Again, if I'd been the songwriter I would have earned twice as much. Someone writing a song and getting 7 million views a month is getting $40,000 a month.​

That was from a thread about Joe Bonamassa and Spotify. I can only make money from YouTube because I'm videographer. But if I was a songwriter I would be making money from all the other streaming services.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

her voice is surprisingly suited for the song....works well with the band....I dig it! better than the original I would say

17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Congratulatons on reaching the milestone of one million! I'm not in this market but from what I read it is a big deal. And although you say you aren't in control, I would say if your video was very poor you wouldn't be at one million. Nice work. :)

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

I was 1,000,098. Enjoyed it very much.

And unless it's happened without my knowledge, that was the first Judas Priest song I've ever heard.

19. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

That's a cool video, I love that old song, and the band did a heck of a good job.

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice Chris, congratulations over 1 Million hits!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Thank you. My goal is to make it look as if a professional video company shot it, and be able to do a concert shoot for $500. Being to say one of my videos has over a million views is a useful marketing tool.

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

It's great to see these kids rocking out like this.

And now I've heard my first (to my knowledge) Dio song.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

The guitarist's mom commented on the thread that he had, in fact, been listening to Priest since before he was born! She had seen them while pregnant with him. She also said: "I took him him out of school, drove five hours and got front row tickets to see the Priest Epitaph Tour for his 11th birthday. This song is a dream come true for me to hear him play. These kids are awesome."

SandAndGlass and budwhite like this.
  24. I think he was referring to the girl singing it (he used the word ‘performer’) - does she get anything?

25. Chris DeVoe

Honestly? Nobody's asked. I showed up and shot it, and if I hadn't, all that would exist would be a parental cell phone video. I know her mom and dad and they're thrilled that all these people are seeing their daughter, and the parents use these for school applications - some of the kids I've recorded have gotten into schools like Berklee.

SandAndGlass and budwhite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.