One of their Best Albums But It was their Worst Selling

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dandelion1967, Oct 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Its sales may have paled in comparison to Rumours, but it still sold at least 4 million copies worldwide. So it's not even close to being Fleetwood Mac's worst-selling album.

2. Arnold Grove

Exactly. It's a big difference.

3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Of the Buckingham Nicks era. Anything else would be apples to oranges.

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I would think it would have outsold 2 Virgins, Life With the Lions, and Wedding Album. There may not be a kind way to say this, but Yoko getting equal billing on all 4 of those albums may have hurt their sales.

5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I’m not sure about the sales but The Cars Panorama

6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

To what album are you referring?

7. Arnold Grove

Someone mentioned TUSK by Fleetwood Mac. So I said: "Its sales may have paled in comparison to Rumours, but it still sold at least 4 million copies worldwide. So it's not even close to being Fleetwood Mac's worst-selling album."

8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I guessed as much, but since you didn't quote the post about Tusk, it wasn't absolutely clear you were referring to that album.

9. Arnold Grove

The post prior to mine just said "Tusk". And it was quoted. See post #126 above.

10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Oops! I see what happened now. Sorry about that.

11. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Anthem Of The Sun - Grateful Dead

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Hunky Dory didn't sell well or chart either until after Ziggy. His Deram debut has to be his worst selling album though.

pauluz likes this.
  13. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

Actually, the fact that White Light White Heat charted at all is even more unbelievable.

14. Arnold Grove

Lou had a lot of relatives in Queens and Long Island. ;)

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

You expected reading comprehension or following directions?:help:

Oatsdad likes this.
  16. user119861

user119861 Forum Resident

The Prodigy : Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

[​IMG]
    After the absolute blaster The Fat Of The Land and with 7 years of waiting, the expectations about this work were simply too high.
    At the time I was also a little (just a little, not very much) disappointed, but this album it's a winner bit by bit as time goes by.
    Very diverse, very "rock", very powerful, very solid, a little dark, and, as I like the vocal featuring especially in electronic/dance music, very "happening".
    For me, the last great album by The Prodigy.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm naive that way!

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think "Tusk" and "Mirage" had comparable sales, though I'm not sure if the 2 million US of "Tusk" means 2 million actual copies or 1 million copies and they count each as 2 since it was a double record.

Footnote: I'm always surprised to see how successful "Tango" was. I thought of that as being the weakest selling of the Buck/Nicks era but it did better than "Tusk" and "Mirage"!

mbrownp1 likes this.
  19. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Jethro tull: Roots to branches 1995. A very well crafted, late period tull album that didn´t did that great I Think.

20. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

badfinger "wish you were here" ?

21. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Maybe not their best, but it was definitely an excellent return to form. But yeah, I can’t remember what else Red Ant put out, but I believe they folded not long after.

DME1061 likes this.
  22. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

A few sprang to mind

The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers
    Bare Trees by Fleetwood Mac
    Amarok by Mike Oldfield
    Butterfly by The Hollies

23. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I believe they did as well.....that album didn't even have a chance. Mine came with came with a bonus disc with two songs "Baby Talk" and The Move's "Brontosaurus".

24. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

Beastie Boys - Paul’s Boutique is a complete master class on sampling and mixing. They never made a dime off it because even to this day people are suing them for using the samples. Lots of interesting stories out there on the net about it. It was and still is my favorite Beastie Boys album. Even DJ Shadow could not of mixed it that well, or as well as Matt Dike did.

TheVU and Beamish13 like this.
  25. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

I was surprised to see Bee Gees' Life In A Tin Can listed in this thread as their worst-selling album, when it wasn't even close. It charted at #69 on the Billboard 200 and stayed on the charts for 13 weeks.

No, their worst-selling album was the album that I thought of instantly when seeing the topic of this thread. Mr. Natural (1974) was the lowest point of the Bee Gees' commercial fortunes, and it is one of my two favorite Bee Gees albums, the other being Main Course, its follow-up, also produced by Arif Mardin in his second attempt to move them in an R&B direction,

Mr. Natural didn't even make the top 100 on the album charts. In fact, at #179, it just barely made the top 200. Its chart stay was a total of 5 weeks. It was the first Bee Bees studio album to ever miss the top 100 since they debuted with the Top 10 Bee Gees' 1st in 1967.

The treasures to be found on Mr. Natural are endless. I've been listening to it since 1975, and it seems like every time I do I discover even more great things about it.

I'm not going to do a whole review here, just highly recommend it to anyone interested in hearing a band on the brink of a major breakthrough in their sound and direction, and a fulfillment of their long desire, expressed perhaps best earlier in "To Love Someboady", to be the best white R&B band they could possibly be. With the considerable help of legendary producer Arif Mardin, they're experimenting and largely succeeding in ways that an album that sold so poorly shouldn't be able to contain.

The title track, a mournful, soulful and powerful Barry/Robin back and forth switchup, is worth the price of admission alone. True to the fortunes of this album, that lead-off single, "Mr. Natural", peaked at #93 on the Billboard Hot 100 and lasted for 3 weeks.

I mean, with sales that bad, and a cover that good, it's just got to be great, right?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Photon, Folknik and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.