One thing I've noticed about Little Richard over the years...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Timmy84, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe I'm just now realizing it but dude told a lot of tall tales, didn't he?

That whole thing about the Beatles in Liverpool and Hamburg and him being asked to have some ownership or some kind of stake in their future (I seriously don't buy it).

I was watching his BBC documentary from 1985 when he claimed he wasn't bisexual anymore and was serving the Lord (the second time around ;) ) and he always seems to mention how he was "the first" to do this and that when we all know it wasn't true (him being the first black artist white folks openly bought music from being one major thing).

Richard Penniman was a great musician and showman in his heyday but he also seemed to be a great exaggerator more often than not. It was great when he WAS sincere about who paved the way for his style (like him mentioning Billy Wright and Esquerita, who basically were the two men from which he styled himself after).

Another thing I noticed in the documentary - and in that GQ article I read on him - his girlfriend Lee Angel not only doesn't buy Richard being gay but has often laughed at his "recollections" of orgies and seeing Buddy Holly naked before a show.

Today, Richard just strikes me as some bizarre old man who is at his last legs and basically being ridiculed for being brought out like a puppet for some supposed religious crusade. But I wonder what would've happened had he not decided to quit secular music in 1957.

His legacy was great but it could've been greater and when I think about it, I just shake my head...

2. Ratto

Ratto Forum Resident

People in Rock & Roll not telling the truth....who knew?

Murph, MitchLT, ConnieGuitar and 23 others like this.
  3. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

His interview segments in A Film About Jimi Hendrix are highly entertaining -- largely because he was basically full of sh#t regarding Hendrix's stint with him. You could sort-of tell that he knew that everybody would be onto him, but it didn't slow him down one bit. You gotta admire that. :agree:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Little Richard's talent was underutilized into the 1960s and beyond, but the body of work he leaves behind is of a high quality. LR became wheelchair bound about 10 years ago from a hip surgery, but kept performing sporadically. LR didn't do a farewell tour, I think what became his final concert was the 2013 Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend. After that concert, LR announced he was officially retiring from music to focus on preaching. I believe Richard is genuinely sincere in his beliefs, although it's hard for the public to get used to the "real Richard."

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The only time that I believe Richard is when he is singing: "A wop bop a lu-bop, a wop bam boom". That was/is the TRUTH!

Yes, Richard was part-storyteller and part-mental patient. Seriously, he was nuts. But he was one rock and roll's innovators and originators. Probably top 5. He shone brightly for less than 5 years, but that was all he needed to do. His music in that period is peerless. The rest of his career was a haphazard but humorous footnote.

6. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I just remembered something:

In 1991, my older brother was nearing the end of a losing battle with spinal cancer. Richard was in the middle of some kind of tour as a Preacher, and was making a stop in Oakland, CA.

My Mom contacted his people to see if he could drop my brother a note of encouragement or something. They said that they'd see what they could do, but that we shouldn't expect anything.

A couple of hours later, the phone rings. It's Richard, and he spends a bit of time giving my brother a "pep talk", evangelical-style.

So, yeah -- God Bless the guy.

(I had totally forgotten about this.)

7. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I still view him as the King of Rock n Roll.

8. Arnold Grove

And as Richard himself once said, he was also the "Queen" of Rock and Roll too!!

9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Here's a more in-depth video where Richard speaks at the 3ABN Fall Homecoming Camp Meeting. With the utmost respect to his music career, Richard is still very moving and passionate.

10. Arnold Grove

Still despite Richard's often-exaggerated stories, it must have been a supreme thrill for the pre-Fab Beatles to meet and see Richard in 1962. Look at the sheer happiness on their faces. It's like they don't want to ever let go of Richard:

[​IMG]

11. Arnold Grove

And the members of Richard's band look just as young as the Beatles. Where are those other fellows now?:

[​IMG]

12. Arnold Grove

^^^EDIT: Just learned something. Those other fellows were part of a Liverpool band The Chants. They were not members of Richard's band:

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love Little Richard, tall tales and everything. The man is crazy and to me it just makes him more charismatic. He's a one off and his legacy is those timeless and exciting rock 'n' roll records from the 50s, which are fantastic things to be remembered for, even without being a huge influence on The Beatles, Hendrix and Lemmy as well as many many others. He can say what he wants, he's Little Richard, a true original.

The MEZ, Shak Cohen, smoke and 18 others like this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don’t know what he’s said over the years, but the footage that exists of him shows an amazing performer. He sparkles in his scenes from The Girl Can’t Help It. Love the drummer - can’t get cooler than that. Paul McCartney stole quite a bit from Little Richard. It’s great that he’s still alive.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The also completely brilliant Bo Diddley included his tall tales in his records!

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

His induction of Otis Redding into the RRHOF is eitherthr greatest or worst induction ever. I can’t decide which.

Yes he’s a raconteur and doesn’t let truth get in the way of s good story,but he had a crazy life. He was a huge star and he crossed paths with everyone from James Brown, to Hendrix to the Beatles. The truth of his story is fascinating enough that I don’t know why he has to embellish.

He was a ground-breaking gender bender, racial pioneer and rocker. He’s somewhat of a footnote now, but he definitely had “it” and influenced everything that came after him. I love his music.

17. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

SHUT UP!

Timmy84, Larsen, felvis and 22 others like this.
  18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Exactly what was going through my brain when I read the OP's intro!
    I will Never forget his words in The Hendrix film and I have often wondered just how to make music whereby my big toe would shoot up in my boot!

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Don't tell Tina!

squittolo and Timmy84 like this.
  20. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The girl actually could help it.

DrJ, All Down The Line and Timmy84 like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I see many people confuse this. Elvis sang "... bam boom!", Little Richard originally sang "... bom bom!".

22. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

He's Little Richard, a rock n roll legend, he can say what he likes as far as I'm concerned. All thoroughly entertaining.

23. Sound of the Suburbs

Sound of the Suburbs Forum Resident

It doesn't matter what he says really. Those Speciality sides he cut in the 50s are some of the most thrilling records ever made.

I'm just glad he's lived long enough to get the recognition he deserves. Many of his peers didn't...

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think he deserves more recognition. Little Richard is an influential man in many ways.

25. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

He is one of a kind. I am glad I got to share my time on the planet with him. So what if he doesn´t always stick to the truth, when the fantasy is more interesting? Love the guy. :righton:

agundy, Crimson Witch and delmonaco like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.