Onkyo DX-C390 overview and issues…

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ocean56, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A year ago, I had to buy a new CD player because the Pioneer player I had finally died.

I bought the Onkyo.

I LOVE the way the player sounds in my system.

I posted in here about cleaning discs because the Onkyo seemed to be very particular about skips.

Several of you said I should take it back under warranty.

I did, right before the one year warranty ended. It’s being repaired (or possibly replaced) now. It got to the point where it would barely play ANY disc without skipping.

Here’s the irony - as a substitute player, I connected up an el cheapo $20 Sanyo DVD player. The Onkyo sounds better, but HERE’S what gets me…

THE SANYO HASN’T SKIPPED ON ANY DISC!

Rant over….

2. Ocean56

Bump!(

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Unless you absolutely need a changer, I recommend staying away from them. I owned a 390 some time back, and it was very touchy on discs. A look inside will tell you why: loads and loads of imprecise plastic. OTOH, my ancient Onkyo Integra DX-706 still works just fine....of course it was, like, $800 new! (I paid $50)

Ocean56 likes this.
  4. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

The only issue I ever had with my 390 was when a disc popped out of the tray and got stuck inside. Held the unit sideways with tray open, disc fell out, and the unit went back to playing discs without so much as a nod or a wink. I did have an issue with a single-play Onkyo unit (C7000R or very similar), and dealing with Onkyo's service contractors was trying. They wound up replacing it. I eventually sold the 390 to a former colleague, who AFAIK also had no issues with it. Good luck...probably best if it gets replaced.

5. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

I had two. One lasted about 4 years of pretty regular play. Another lasted about 6 years of lighter play time. I had no trouble playing any discs on them at all. Thought they sounded wonderful. But when they quit playing, they quit entirely. I cleaned the laser on both to try to save them but neither one ever worked again.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Every single CD changer I have ever owned eventually failed.

7. Ocean56

I wanted a single disc player. Couldn’t find one in metro Detroit!

8. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Just purchased a DX-390 and right out of the box, it won't recognize discs. Ugh.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

SO what did you do?

10. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

I listen to almost all my music on cd changers. They do break a lot; usually the changer mechanism. For a combination of sound and reliability, I'd rate the Onkyo 390 the best of the bunch.