Online Buyer Holding Me Hostage

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by bullmkt3, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullmkt3

bullmkt3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently sold three McIntosh amplifiers online on an “audio only” site. I received dozens of offers and sold each one individually. I ordered new boxes from Mac and shipped ground to each buyer. Two buyers called me immediately after receipt thanking me for a great experience. Unfortunately the third buyer told me some light bulbs had burned out and he was not happy. I offered to purchase a replacement set and send to him. I also offered to refund his purchase price, although I don’t think I should be responsible for shipping. I still receive offers even though they are gone. The buyer is using “feedback” to threaten me. Has this happened to you?

2. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Yes, I had a similar situation on what I imagine was the same "audio only" site. I contacted the site for assistance and you know what? They got involved and helped me. They reviewed the online conversations between the buyer and me, the seller, and didn't suggest I cave in. Ultimately, I think all they could do was protect me against negative feedback. They couldn't make the bad buyer change his demand for a partial refund.

Having offered several times to simply refund the buyer his purchase price and all shipping, to which he demurred because he really only wanted to renegotiate the purchase price, I went to the UPS website and purchased a return label for him. It cost me about $36 but I never heard from him again. He disappeared. Not another response from him.

The website suggested and supported me in this -- I was surprised and delighted they did -- and the nightmare ended. It did cost me a lot of time and aggravation, and the price of the UPS return label, which was $36 versus the $80 he was trying to exploit from me. But it was totally worth it.

Get the site involved first. If they see it your way, they might suggest you simply buy him a return postage stamp (you should know the weight and dimensions of the box because it will be identical to the box you shipped to him) and buy him the postage stamp with your name and address as the receiver and his as the sender. This is all done online. You forward the online shipping label to him so he can print it up on his end. Tell him you are going to do this. His only recourse is to return it or end the harassment. That worked for me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  3. My biggest worry about returns on an item like that is safe shipping: buyers (and for that matter, sellers) who don't know how to pack fragile items. A solid state amp, okay. Tube amps are more of a problem, because some people can't be bothered to do so much as pull the output tubes. Receiver or tuner with a glass front, watch out. Paper cone speakers, the bigger they are, the more the problem. Horn speakers, it's a nightmare.

Turntables? I'd almost rather take the loss than have return shipping on a turntable. I've bought turntables by mail- after getting an assurance from the seller that they'll pack them according to my instructions. I typically provide extra money for them to buy packing supplies, too. But I don't know if I'll ever buy another turntable by mail. People routinely destroy independent suspension turntables when they ship them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.