Online Editorial: "It's Time to Fire the Boss" (Springsteen)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MusicFan76, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

So.....John DIDN'T sit on a cornflake? :eek:

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Besides the writer and a few folks in this thread who said that fans are disillusioned?

3. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:shake: Nope. Nor did he dig ponies.

4. Teek

Teek Forum Resident

This post is silly. Name one person that believes Springsteen circa 2009 is a working class guy. He certainly grew up working class and often wrote from that point of view. Just because Speilberg made E.T. doesn't mean he is an alien. Though honestly, I have no proof to the contrary since I've never met the man.

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

My post is silly? You just repeated most of what I said. :rolleyes:

Ask Steven Van Zandt what people believe. He sees the fans. He was the one who made the comment.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I find his music of this decade to be lacking. I'm sure Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuce is still the same guy.

Evan

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

In 1985, Bruce was interviewed for ET Tonight. In the raw footage, he was asked how he equates being viewed as the voice of the working man with all the money that he was raking in for the album and tour and the lifestyle he would now be able to have. He gave a nervous laugh and said simply that he couldn't tie the two together.

8. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

1. Compare any interview with Bruce from the 80s (or earlier) with any from the 90's on you'll see a much more articulate person in recent years.

2. Does the questioner in that interview prefer that he make a lot of money and not be an artist voice for the working man...?

9. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:yawn:

10. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Then why are you in this thread?

No the only contempt from this country comes from the wingnuts who puke the fast food they get from their wingnut leaders on the AM dial.

11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'll fire the Boss when he starts writing bad country music like Bon Jovi.

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:laugh: The quote of the day!! Not sure what it means but its funny as hell.

13. tootull

I fired Bon Jovi before they started, too.

14. tootull

Yeah but now we're getting into the no-brainer stuff.

15. There are at least two very wrong points made in that article. Bruce fired the band because he thought he was getting stale and wanted to explore new avenues, he wasn't selling out he was looking for new creative experiences.

Most, not all, of the Magic songs were greeted just as enthusiastically by the audience as the old favourites.

As far as the Darkness 30th anniversary project goes, it seems to have stalled. Last spring people were interviewed for the "making of" video, and audio and video restoration had begun on the Phoenix 78 show. Bruce started playing some oldies he hadn't played since the '78 tour, an indication that he was listening to '78 tapes. But then something happened to grind it all to a halt. Rumours were floating around that video surfaced for at least one other '78 show. All work seemed to stop at the beginning of last summer and I haven't heard anything about the project since.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No thanks - the Stones still are great. It's Rush we really need to get rid of! :D

17. Oatsdad

What's wrong with that? :confused:

18. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

"He could throw that speedball by you"

First of all its called a FASTBALL...no one calls it a SPEEDBALL . What the heck is a speedball ? (in baseball terms)

19. Oatsdad

Wow - a little creative license is such a terrible thing! I can understand why someone would hate a song because it uses a WORD they don't like! :rolleyes:

Seriously, that's the biggest criticism you have for "Glory Days"? :sigh:

20. tootull

:yawn: Continuing the theme...I fired Rush before they started.

21. zen archer

NO, i just don't like that song ..it sounds clunky (the lyrics) "he was walking
    out ,i was walking in . But what i really don't like and Bruce does this a lot is the jaunty nature of the song . You know every one can sing along and raise their beers cause we can all relate la de da......BUT at the end of the song hes jaded and sings:

And leaves you with nothing mister but
    Boring stories of glory days

...but no one in Foxboro heard those lyrics as they jumped up and down like on an episode of Captain Kangaroo , arms around each other..oh honey remember those days?

yea they were boring ......

22. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I've seen James 8 or 9 times. Some shows are amazing and some bore me to tears. The shows I saw on the tours supporting Dad Loves His Work and New Moonshine were great. (The former show had Waddy Wachtel on guitar and his guitar work made a major difference).

I've also seen James when I was really not thrilled. The worst may have been the show in which he covered "The Twist".

23. Oatsdad

Is it Bruce's fault that audiences choose to ignore the lyrics? They do that for "Born in the USA" as well. It happens to plenty of artists and plenty of songs.

MOST of "Born in the USA" has incongruous lyrics and music. "Dancing in the Dark" is probably the worst offender: bouncy tune, serious downer lyrics. Look at "Working on the Highway": it's a peppy rockabilly number about some miscreants who end up in a jail work gang!

Anyway, it's not the artist's fault that people don't really LISTEN to lyrics. How about all the Who fans who go nuts for "Baba O'Riley" due to their perception it's all about getting high? Your anger should be aimed at dopey fans, not Bruce...

24. zen archer

But remember that video for Glory days was pretty upbeat , that is probably what people relate to.

25. zen archer

I have no anger towards Bruce , i just don't like the song and most of that album ...

i like Darkness and The River......;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.