Only Murders In The Building- Steve Martin/ Martin Short series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Jun 22, 2021.

1. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

SPOILER!

I've always felt that Amy Ryan was capable of anything and it turns out I was right. Expositional maniac is a difficult schtick but she charmed it right out of the park. Having the victim break the fourth wall is also tricky but it made Tim more real. Screwball comedy, character study and murder games. I think Steve and the gang asked themselves what they wanted to do and did it.

Dignan2000, woody, Isamet and 3 others like this.
  2. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

just saw the last episode - I've liked the series, for sure (note to the prior poster david egan- you might want to 'hide' that spoiler info (there's a way to do that here, I understand)

its been a fun fun ride, ... the cast is great, martin short in particular, I think (everyone is good tho, including the great support actors, including nathan lane, sting, jane lynch, jaboukie young-white, jacob ming-trent, and so many others...)

enjoyed it- and i see it has it been renewed for another season...

OldSoul likes this.
  3. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Absolutely adored this show, although Martin Short's character got on my nerves at times - and I thought Selena Gomez was excellent in her role

Very prescient mistake...

violarules, mike s in nyc and OldSoul like this.
  4. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

What a fantastic series. The season finale was incredible!!

5. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Great last episode! I loved when Steve Martin got up and told her off. Haha.

Weird final scenes but… still fun.

mmars982 and Nightfly68 like this.
  6. Nightfly68

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Loved the series overall but what was up with that final scene? Get out of the building on the cellphone, police sirens in the distance and then they discover Mabel covered in blood as the SWAT teams rushes the room? What?

Oh well season two.

8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Good conclusion to a fun show. Bring on season 2!

9. Nightfly68

Remember early in the series there was a brief clip of Mabel covered in blood. Now we have an idea why.

mmars982 and marmalade166 like this.
  10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I think it opened with that scene no?

mmars982 likes this.
  11. Nightfly68

I think so. Im definitely going to watch the series again.

marmalade166 likes this.
  12. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

I'm glad somebody enjoyed my hastily composed post and I will use the spoiler blocker next time. When Hulu says an episode plays Tuesday that means 12am and that means 9pm Monday PST. I'm glad I took advantage of this because Tuesday morning the New York Times and Vanity Fair had interviews with the crazybomb and while they both warned of spoilers the headlines told the tale. The Ep9 surprise could have turned out to be another ruby trout but I'm glad it wasn't. Since S2 will necessarily involve a murder in the building could that mean that, bassooner or later, they will need a little help from a former resident?

13. 905

905 Senior Member

I'll try and watch this soon. How I Met Your Mother is one of my comfort shows, and I enjoy Martin Short as Marshall's environmental lawyer boss, Garrison Cootes.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    JohnG likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Steve Martin in that last episode was just brilliant! Cannot wait for season 2!

Dan C, woody, Isamet and 3 others like this.
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, he was underplaying for much of the series, then let all of his physical comedy hang out for the last episode.

JohnK

Dan C, mmars982, JohnG and 2 others like this.
  16. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Steve Martin babbling and rolling around on the floor was actually just what my pandemic-addled mind needed. It's a side of his acting he hasn't shown much in the past 20 years.

Dan C, eddiel, Nightfly68 and 5 others like this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it was nice to see some real "jerk" vibes to finish off the series!

mmars982, Isamet and JohnG like this.
  18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

That’s what I said to my wife as he lay on the floor and rolled to the door, wow I haven’t seen this side of him on a long time! Great fun!

eddiel, violarules and 905 like this.
  19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

OP must have a crystal ball........:laugh:

woody likes this.
  20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It was the same scene, or at least parts of it. I definitely remember Martin and Short running down the staircase in a panic.

The finale was the funniest episode of the season. I don't care much about the actual murder mystery but looking forward to season 2!

GentleSenator and Nightfly68 like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

22. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I’m avoiding reading too many posts here since I’m in the middle of the series but I gotta say I’m really struggling to finish it. I find it pretty boring with fewer comedic elements than expected given the cast. And I’m not convinced by Selena Gomez’s performance so far. She seems a bit…I guess wooden is a good word.

MikaelaArsenault and Veggie Boy like this.
  23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Binged it. Loved it. Liz Lemon dropped an F bomb. Looking forward to Season 2.

--Geoff

Nightfly68 and Dan C like this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

25. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

Murders in the Building was a great binge watch for the wife and I. Looking forward to S2.