Onzow Zerodust Stylus Cleaner Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul G, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I have used it without difficulty or the worry of damage to the stylus that comes with some liquid cleaners like 'LAST' products. I didn't do any large comparison between products as to effectivness though. My priorities were adequacy and safety.

3. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Hi Paul - I bought mine new on eBay for $27 from this seller . I notice he sells these quite frequently, but has now increased his starting bid price (still cheaper than $69.99, though).

I find the Zerodust to work great and it does not seem to leave any sort residue on my stylus...

4. rpd

rpd Senior Member

For those of you that use the Zerodust, how often do you use it? Every play? Every 5 plays?

If you don't use it on every play, do you use brush in between plays when you don't Zerodust? If so, what brush is the best???

5. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I know I'm answering my own post but I want to let everyone know that Extreme Phono, who makes the stylus cleaner I mentioned in my previous post has a web site at www.extremephono.com. I was able to order the "Solid State Stylus Cleaner" (which is what they call it) for $26.00 plus tax and shipping. The total cost for me was $28.34 and they take Paypal.

7. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I own it and highly recommend it, too. I used to use Last, and I had heard about the residue and damage it could potentially do, but I was using cheaper cartridges then and really wasn't THAT worried. Once I started using Koetsus, however, I knew I had to switch to something cleaner, and the Zerodust is the only thing out there that works and won't cause any long-term damage.

8. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

To change the subject a little - the eBay link above also shows a "Nagaoka cleaning roller" for records. I wonder if anybody used the thing... looks too much like a washable roller to remove lint from clothing :p

The eBay seller is a good guy, incidentally... bought some Japanese records from him in the past.

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I have the Onzow zerodust. It's very gentle and works well when the stylus is not too dirty. I've seen the competing Extremephono and it's not the same (its a lot softer, and comes with a warning not to let the stylus sit too long or it will submerge).

The rolling cleaner is indeed just like a sticky lint roller. It will take fluff off, and charge your disks up with static electricity very efficiently. It will grab and lift the label if you're not careful. Use at your own risk. There's no way it pulls anything out of the grooves, despite some pictures on the box showing the sticky surface reaching past the groove top. Remember most of what you can see on a disk in bright light is harmless and will be easily pushed out by a stylus.

Preferred cleaners: stiff brush for stylus w/liquid (Disc Doctor, even Discwasher); carbon Fibre for records (of course cleaning them wet once when they need it). Now those work, you can see the dust, or lack of it, when you're done.

10. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I have used the extreme phono product for the last 2-3 years without a problem. There is considerable discussion on the vinyl portion of the Audio Asylum on using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I have no experience with this, but it certainly is cheaper than the audio specific solutions discussed in this thread.

11. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

question for those who own / use the Onzow Zerodust - how far down do you let the needle go into the gel? until the needle is totally submerged? :help:

also, do you use the stylus lifter to lower the needle into the gel, or do it by hand? :help:

just curious as i'm about to receive the Onzow Zerodust very soon, and want to make sure that i use it right.

thanx! ;)

12. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

the Decca is the best brush

13. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

I have one and it amazes me when I look close at the gel and see that black gunk from the stylus. I use the zerodust between records and RRL stylus cleaner every 4 or 5 records.

14. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

I let the stylus rest upon the gel. It goes in a little. I do this with the phono section "on" or selected and normal volume on the preamp. That way you can also "hear" what's happening and use this as your guide.

There was a guy who used to sell these on Audiogon. Not sure if he is still doing that.

Paul :righton:

15. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

hi paul,

thanx for the advice. i'm looking forward to getting the Zerodust.

can you elaborate on how it might compare to using a brush and fluid stylus cleaner (if you have ever used one)? :help:

thanx. :righton:

16. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

apesmu,

I haven't used the liquid stylus cleaner. I know many do with good results. One of the reasons I went with the Enzow was to avoid my butterfingers-certainly didn't trust them with a dry brush. :eek:

I imagine others here will chime in with more experiences.

Paul

ps-the Zerodust is very easy to clean!

17. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

paul,

thanx again for the response!

not sure if it matters, doesn't seem like it would - but, when you use the Zerodust are you supposed to leave the tracking force and anti-skating as is, or do the directions call for one to remove the anti-skating and tracking weight(s)? :help:

thanx!

18. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

apesmu,

I leave the tonearm settings as-is. Does not effect cleaning of stylus or playback, as far as I know. If you did have to do this it would be a MAJOR p.i.t.a..

I think you'll do just fine. :thumbsup:
    Paul

19. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

paul,

thanx, that's what i figured - i'll leave the tracking force and anti-skate all set. :righton:

p.s. how often have you found yourself using the Zerodust?

20. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

well, i received the Onzow Zerodust last night, and all i can say is WOW! :)

this stuff works incredibly well and is easy to use - took the dirt and dust right off my stylus with no repercussions, and now it sounds like a veil has been lifted from my rig!

highly recommended! :edthumbs:

21. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Yeah I have two of them. Garrott who makes my cart says no wet cleaners so that's the way I went. I use it on every spin. When it gets too funky I wash it off and go to the other one.
    One thing I really do dig about it is that it's so compact I can sit it right on the plinth and just cue the stylus down into it although I do get impatient sometimes and raise it up to the needle. I do cover it between uses though..
    I e-mailed Garrott Brothers and asked them about it and they said they have never tried it. I kinda thought for the lousy $25 they would order one and hit me back but so far nothing.
    Good Luck
    Cheers-
    Norm

22. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I am going to look into this myself. I have switched to the brush supplied with my Benz because I was afraid to use my old stylus cleaner. My old stylus cleaner was a battery operated brush made by Audio Technica or Signet, same company I believe Signet being the upper end name.

Anyway I was afraid to use it on the Benz for a few reasons. One the Benz is expensive, Two - it was to be used with a little stylus cleaner and I was afraid it might migrate up the cantilever and booger up the works, and three the frequency it operated on may damage the cartridge as well.
    Am I being anal or are these legitimate concerns?

The Zerodust looks like the solution to me, thanks for bringing it up!

23. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

hi Norm,

yeah, i love the fact that you can just sit it on the plinth and cue the stylus down into it - what i did is i put a few small pieces of paper from a pad i have under the Zerodust to raise it a bit - that way, i don't have to raise the actual Zerodust to the stylus. :righton:

works nicely, and if you use the Zerodust every once in a while, there's really no need to even brush off any LP's - unless they are super dusty / dirty ;)

glad to see their are more fans of the Zerodust on here.

24. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I've been using the Zerodust for about a year or so and it's the best stylus cleaning product I've ever owned.

CAVEAT: DO NOT PAY $69 OR WHATEVER THESE AUDIOPHILE RIPOFFS ARE CHARGING FOR THIS. USE THE DOMESTIC ALTERNATIVE OR SEARCH THE NET FOR A CHEAPER PRICE. THESE COST LESS THAN Y2,000 IN JAPAN (ABOUT US$18).

Dale

PS: You can wash the Zerodust when it gets dirty.

25. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Here's A Deal

I've tried wet cleaners and also the Extremephono. Exremephono is not bad for the price but sometimes leaves it's sticky substances on your needle. You just need to knock it off with a dry brush.

Zeordust is my favorite.

Buy a Zerodust here http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1133269032 from this guy and give it a try. If you don't like it, I'll buy it back from you, minus 10 bucks.

I need a spare. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.