OOPS - typos, bad spelling, the wrong name, etc... Somebody screwed up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

There's an interview with Jeff Lynne where he talks about getting his copy of The Idle Race's Impostors of Life's Magazine in the post and him getting excited that his name is going to be on a record for the first time...only for it to end in disappointment when he looked at the label and saw it credited "G. Lynn" as the songwriter.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Dinosaur Vacume?
    [​IMG]

ARK and iggyd like this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Back in 1966, the first album by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 featured their first hit, "Mas Que Nada". Inexplicably, a typo somewhere along the line turned the title into "Mais Que Nada" on both the label and the jacket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem was compounded for years and years as the song appears on many, many compilations and is still, to this day, misspelled as "Mais Que Nada".

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  4. django68

django68 Forum Resident

It's supposed to be Counter Punch...

[​IMG]

ARK, supermd, intv7 and 23 others like this.
  5. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

Those cassettes are great, I have one, too:

[​IMG]

ARK, supermd, jdicarlo and 8 others like this.
  6. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

The 'G' might stand for 'Geoff' or 'Geoffrey' which are the ancient English variants of 'Jeff' or 'Jeffrey'...

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I think that's what whoever typed the credits out on the label probably thought.

ARK, Jarleboy and Ludger like this.
  8. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight

Planet Waves misspells Richard Manuel’s name

[​IMG]

9. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight

Steve Hackett Darktwon on spine

[​IMG]

10. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

I've got the original MFSL CD of Grateful Dead From the Mars Hotel with "Scarlet Begoninas" listed on the back cover and the face of the disc.

I was surprised years ago when I bought a Country Joe and the Fish CD with the word "Rag" tagged on to the end of the real album title: "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die." (The "Rag" was only a part of the title of that song.)

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I believe the liner notes to The Band's Jehrico misspell it that way once. (His name appears several times, spelled correctly all but once.)

12. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

Dutch singer George Baker (Quentin Tarantino is a big fan) has a hit called "Little Green Bag".
    When he informed the record company of the song titles for his new single (LGB actually was a B side) over the phone it was written as Little Green Bag, but the song is actually called "Little Greenback". It's not about a bag of weed, but about money.

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

This wasn't the only error connected with the group. On their subsequent Fool On The Hill album, the lead vocalist on Track B1, "Lapinho" - Mr. Mendes' future wife Gracinha Leporace - had her surname misspelt "Leporael":
    [​IMG]

McLover, HGN2001 and BeSteVenn like this.
  14. W.B.

Some of RCA's pressing plants had a few ringers over the years. The king of typos, however, would appear to be their Indianapolis, IN plant. First example is this Chordettes' 45 where bandleader (and label founder/head) Archie Bleyer's surname was misspelled:
    [​IMG]
    Then some eight years later, they mangled the title of a Balloon Farm single on Laurie, "A Question Of Temperature":
    [​IMG]
    But Rockaway, NJ did have one that stood out like a sore thumb: taking out the second syllable in the Four Tops' "Standing In The Shadows Of Love":
    [​IMG]

jdicarlo, McLover, Wil1972 and 2 others like this.
  15. W.B.

Another "king of screw-ups" was the Alco Research & Engineering facility in Los Angeles. Not for misspellings per se, but switching around lines of type which, in one infamous case, led one to wonder if Yoda was one of their typesetters:
    [​IMG]
    In another case, a Carpenters' single had the producer credit upside down:
    [​IMG]
    Their fonts were very prevalent on Monarch pressings.

PhoffiFozz, ARK, supermd and 15 others like this.
  16. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

I seem to recall reading that the "Harding" spelling was intentional - subtle indication that while the music was acoustic, it wasn't 'folk' music.

Adam9 likes this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

On Dylan's debut a song is listed on the back cover as : ' You're No Good '. On the record label it's called ' She's No Good '
    When the album was released on CD the error remained.

18. W.B.

One wonders if this song title change was in connection with another "You're No Good" that, in the '70's, would be covered by a certain Linda Ronstadt . . . ?

19. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Reggae pressings from Jamaica are well know for...eh...interesting spelling.
    But this Prince Far I LP is a UK release: Prince Far I - Showcase In A Suitcase
    "Meet Veros Artis" :D
    It´s so bad it could be on purpose...

jdicarlo likes this.
  20. W.B.

Some people do, however, carry money in bags . . .

Anonamemouse likes this.
  21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

My favorite example here would be the case of Julian Cope. His album Peggy Suicide was obviously a pun on the old Buddy Holly song. For his follow up album, Jehovakill, on the back of the album it said "That'll Be The Decide" which makes no sense, but of course, it was intended to say "That'll Be The Deicide".

Lost In The Flood and Jarleboy like this.
  22. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Early Thin Lizzy concert poster from 1971.

The band was named after the term, Tin Lizzie, used to describe early automobiles. Spelled how it was pronounced by the Irish according to Phil Lynott as they would drop the "H".

[​IMG]

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Re The Bo Diddly label - Does no one remember that after hitting the charts with You' Can't Judge a Book by the Cover, for Yoda a tribute entitled A Book by the Cover, You Can't Judge did he.

McLover likes this.
  24. It's actually Standing on the Edge, and the misspelling is the least of that record's problems

intv7, MrSka57 and JuanTCB like this.
  25. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

On the liner notes of[Meet The Temptations]David Ruffin is listed as.. Davis Ruffin.