Open joist ceiling and acoustic foam panels?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ron/asheton, May 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron/asheton

ron/asheton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do I understand this correctly--to get the most soundproofing as far as stopping noise from upstairs to downstairs and vice versa, it would be best to not only do the basic layering by putting panels up...

But to have a second layer suspended in between the joists? Like if the joist are 8" deep, you could run trim at about the halfway point and use it to support panels in a sort of suspended fashion? And then put up your ceiling panel foam.

Does that make sense?

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

You can add mass, rigidity, and isolation. Absorption is secondary.

I'm guessing pouring a 3" concrete slab upstairs is off the table...

I was looking into putting a ceiling into a open basement. One could build a drywall over plywood ceiling, or cover it with tiles when you cover the whole thing. A partial solution between beams would be install 2x4s spacers into the side of the beams, and install the plywood panels into that. Lots of precise cuts for panels and tiles between what are surely unevenly spaced beams.

But what was also DIY-able with tinsnips and time was a complete drop ceiling with acoustic tiles. Just a lot of tediousness with putting the frame lip around the walls level, and then hanging the grid with wires.

[​IMG]

This also blocks sounds radiated from the beams, and provides in-room absorption instead of reflection off a hard ceiling.

Installing the edge lips and grid of a drop panel ceiling into and between the beams themselves is just more headache of cutting every single panel to a custom size.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Acoustic panels won't do a thing to prevent sound from going through the ceiling, but you can soudproof with some Sound Barrier (green layer of ,ass-loaded material)AND add panels to prevent undesired reflection, vastly improving your listening experience. Nothing but concrete is going to tame the bass, if that's what the people upstairs is complaining about.

MTB Vince likes this.
  4. ron/asheton

So if I had basically two layers of acoustic panels, with the "ceiling" layer attached to melamine sheets or something else really cheap it won't stop sound?? I'm not expecting 100% soundproofing but I mean...it would do nothing at all in that regard?

Forgot to ad, this is a rental so anything would have to be relatively quick and easy, and cheap.

5. ron/asheton

Is there a relatively cheap and easy soundproof material then?

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If you have an open ceiling and can't mess with that, have you considered hanging pennants, flags, or attractive, subdued-color banners? Or, bunting skrim material?

7. harby

harby Forum Resident

If you have a rental and there are other tenants upstairs, the only advice I can offer is to be the first to complain about their noise before they complain about your noise.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

It will do something, provided you covered most of the roof. But will it be enough ? Acoustic panels are meant to absorb sound and prevent it from going back into the room, not for soundproofing. Melamine sheets have, if anything, a tympanic effect, htat is to say, they'd vibrate and transmit the sound.

May I ask you if you're having trouble with the sound annoying neighbors or family upstairs ? How loud do you listen ?

This membrane is 4mm thick, and it's advertised as stopping the sound in the same manner a 30cms brick wall would. No clue as to how this material is called in the USA. 6 square meters of this costs like 15 buck here, so prolly cheaper in your country :

[​IMG]

9. The Pinhead

Mass-loaded vinyl is the name of the membrane I mentioned earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.