Opeth - "In Cauda Venenum" - September 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Jul 12, 2018.

1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

No further updates on the new studio album but...

Swedish progressive metal veterans OPETH will release "Garden Of The Titans: Live At Red Rocks Amphitheater"on November 2 via Moderbolaget Records/Nuclear Blast Entertainment. This historic event was captured for the DVD, Blu-ray and vinyl formats during the band's May 11, 2017 performance at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado. Both the DVD and Blu-ray formats include CDs containing the audio as well.

OPETH To Release 'Garden Of The Titans: Live At Red Rocks Amphitheater' In November

[​IMG]

Grow Fins, JakeM, Deuce66 and 3 others like this.
  2. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

They sure love "adapting" Deep Purple album cover artwork for their live album covers!

3. four sticks

They do, this one is sort of a DP In Rock / Dead 7/8/78 hybrid.

[​IMG]

4. four sticks

5. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I was big into Opeth about 10-15 years ago. I haven't heard anything since Ghost Reveries. Maybe I should check them out again. I don't listen to much of the growling stuff these days so it doesn't matter to me if they have dropped that.

Deuce66 and danielbravo like this.
  6. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Agreed. Though I haven't heard any of their new releases but I doubt they could really top that. I really loved Damnation album too, I saw them perform nearly the entire album live in 2003. I also saw them do a regular show some time in 2004, which was awesome as well.

7. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Oh! This is my next objetive! Looks amazing! Great set list.
    Thanks !

8. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You should they've changed a fair bit and the growls are gone (last three albums).

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

11. danielbravo

Magnifico!:frog:
    Great perfomance ! It's for sure my next purchase.
    Thanks for share this

Deuce66 likes this.
  12. four sticks

That was really good. I'm looking forward to this release.

Deuce66 likes this.
  13. danielbravo

Mikael Åkerfeldt had commented a few months ago that the next Opeth album would be so complex that he would have instructions to disarm it. If this is true then as far as I'm concerned it would be very good.
    I hope that the next album will be really complex, progressive, heavy and as good as "Pale Communion" or "Heritage" ... personally I do not think Åkerfeldt will return to the growl vocals but I hope that maybe the compositions have a better production that "Sorceress" (which I personally liked a lot)

ceddy10165 and Deuce66 like this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Yes, it sounds like a very honest representation of their show that night when compared to decent quality audience recordings.

15. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Damn, I was hoping they would go back to their roots. They peaked with Blackwater Park. That albums is a masterpiece. It’s been all downhill since then.

wdiv likes this.
  16. four sticks

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Oh, double bill with Gojira, cool. I hope they got their set filmed as well.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

In case you haven't seen this on YT - this will have to do for now I guess.

ceddy10165 and Plan9 like this.
  19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Opeth is one of those bands with a pretty steady transition from the first album to the most recent. That way if you like the non growl vocals you can just work your way backwards until you reach a stopping point. I can appreciate all their albums to date, but prefer the mid period from Blackwater Park through Watershed. I'd like them to make another album with a combination of vocal styles again. I can see Mike not wanting to sing those parts, so maybe bring someone in to do them...?

JoeF. and ceddy10165 like this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It took me awhile to get into Sorceress but the sound is really muddy compared to Pale Communion and especially, Heritage.
    But I'm sure there will eventually be a Steven Wilson remixed version.

21. four sticks

Very muddy mix although I don't notice it that much if I listen to it on it's own.

kannibal and George Co-Stanza like this.
  22. four sticks

Pre order links are up on Burning Shed, I haven't seen any links, other than the digital copy, on Amazon.

Opeth

I guess a standalone blu ray isn't an option.

23. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’d welcome that with open arms. Excellent songs and good album, but terrible sound. I have 4 copies and not one is satisfactory to listen to. The vinyl and 5.1 versions that I have are downright poor and not at all keeping with their normal high level of attention to detail.

24. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Since becoming an Opeth fan shortly before the release of Ghost Reveries, I have gotten a ton of mileage out of all of their new albums since...except Sorceress. It has a few songs I like a lot, but as a whole is just lacking. The muddy mix does not help a few songs, but the songs and flow just sound clunky.

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I have come to love most of the songs on that album, but as I said, the sound is too muddy--it's not crisp and vibrant like their previous albums.

But I also think the track sequencing could have been improved.