Opinion on blank cassette tape

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gitters, Jan 30, 2023.

1. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

...and it seems that you still missunderstand me.... :winkgrin:

2. CarlosR

CarlosR Well-Known Member

I love sweden, and I agree with your content carrying statements before. Thus I maintain to disagree with your anti-attitude that you want to enforce on me. That's not what I experience with the many swedes I work with every day. Get along and play a record, tape it on FE if you like, just listen to some music, please.

3. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

So this is now about nationality and no longer about how to get the best out of cassette decks and tapes? Hmmmmm…interesting…now I don’t understand anything and it seems you really have missunderstood what this is about. Yeah back to music it is and maybe you should do the same… :wave:

anorak2 likes this.
  4. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I think "only Metal" is an extremely purist attitude. Type II can be excellent.

5. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

They're not being made, but there are used and new old stock type IV out there, at ridiculous prices.

Rich-n-Roll and GyroSE like this.
  6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I agree 100% and some of the Type I tapes can be excellent as well when put in a well calibrated high end deck.

anorak2 and vwestlife like this.
  7. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

I bet reel to reel is probably ridicules in price as well...

8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Certain blank cassettes can top r2r these days. I've seen 300 euros asking price on ebay for a single mint sealed type IV.

TarnishedEars, GyroSE and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Unlike with cassettes, some of the highest quality R2R tapes ever made are being manufactured today. With cassettes, the only tapes being made today are vastly inferior to what was commonly available back in the 80s and 90s.

So, while there is a premium for certain vintage R2R tapes (such as Maxell), there is no compelling reason to spend mega bucks on NOS R2R tape today when the new R2R tape is so fantastic. The same thing cannot be said about cassettes.

GyroSE and anorak2 like this.
  10. CarlosR

this is and never was about what you're trying to make it here, continuously. I never put a ME only extremist position out, look it up, stubborn. And it's not about nationality, at all! You understand as much as I do, but don't give a damn to read a series of post before you let your stubborness get in your way. I repeat myself over and over that all (including FE) is fine to be used, just as you said, too, while I prefer ME (so what?). Thus I continuously explain that we're in agreement technically, but no, you keep on with stubborn establishment that I oppose your position as an extremist ME type a guy, which I am not.

That is what I really only experience from Trolls and I know no swedish troll, a culture that's far more into collaborative approach than any other, which I admire, that's all I'm saying here.

11. CarlosR

Look it up, that is exactly what I said before, you troll.

12. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

o_O huh...? what you said

13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I may be stubborn and it’s because I know I’m right in this case as I’ve been experimenting a lot with different types of tapes when recording on my cassette decks.

Wow! You really like to bring forward that I’m Swedish and that I’m not following your ”protocol” how a Swede is supposed to be and act like. I find that to be very odd….we’re all individuals no matter what nationality…right?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    anorak2 likes this.
  14. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Extremist Type IV cassette guy……? ;)

15. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

You have to like ABBA and eat rotten fish. Everyone knows that :)

GyroSE likes this.
  16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Hahaha….that’s part of my everyday life…. :laugh::agree::laugh::agree:

Michael Macrone and anorak2 like this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

was wondering if anyone wants to trade some of your JVC Dynarec F1/90 Type I blank tapes. I wanna buy some or trade. I have quite some of different brands.
    Thanks,
    [​IMG]

18. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I believe that this JVC blank tape is basically a rebranded Maxell UDI. Correct me if I'm wrong.

19. Classic Car Guy

I'm not sure... I just like the way how it sounds on some music I record in it. and I wanna get a few.
    Thanks..

GyroSE likes this.
  20. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

It's in the same type of tape shell as the Maxell UDI so I believe that we are actually looking at a cassette tape made by Maxell. Do you've a similar experience recording on UDI's?

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  21. Classic Car Guy

It sounds really nice in the Nakamichi LX-3 on playback. (in my personal experience. But its not doing the same in bx-150 or cr-2-cr-3. The tdk premium type I sounds very nice in the later Nakamichi) Full analog sound with a very slight kick of modern bass. It sound like it wants to punch a hole in my speakers

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    GyroSE likes this.
  22. Classic Car Guy

I recorded "not" a whole lot with the maxells so I have less muscle memory with those tapes. That's good to know and I wanna try again on some of my old UDI..
    They kind if do look like the same shell.

23. Classic Car Guy

what type I tapes do you use in your 580 or 582 if I'm correct in the deck you own?

24. Classic Car Guy

The guy from "cassette comeback". He's got very sharp ears and analyze lots of medias with excellent results. Al thought I notice that he likes maxell. But I canst say he's biased to that brand. People just have different preference.
    I really like a lot of type I tapes that sounds surprisingly excellent

GyroSE likes this.
  25. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've a Nak 582 and I use a lot of different tapes- I use Type I's most of the time because I think it's more challenging to make great recordings with Type I tapes.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023