Opinions about KISS?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Not a fan personally, but you cannot deny their impact.

2. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I grew up in the 70s but never liked them. Image or the music.
    Yes, there were KISS logos drawn on desks all over my high school.

3. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

I like their hits but I can’t stand Gene Simmons.

4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

An American phenomenon

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

They were my first love. I was all in as a kid until around the time of Dynasty.
    Then I dropped them like a hot rock.
    Tuned back in around Unplugged and the reunion tour.

Other than that, very little rotation in my house over years.

But, lo and behold, the KISS song by song thread, re-awakened my interest - so I picked up the rest (barring the last 3) of the albums I didn't have and dug in.

I think there's quite a bit of good, fun rock and roll across their discography.

Of course, they have made plenty of missteps, done very stupid things and certainly have said a LOT of dumb crap - all of which makes them an easy and often well deserved target.

But, man, they were a super entertaining band.

There is plenty of space for them on my shelf. Just as there is plenty of space for Miles, Leonard Cohen, King Crimson and any other band that moves me.

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

They did well in North America, but their appeal wasn’t anything like on the same scale worldwide, so I don’t think they’d ever be considered that important.

Kundalini, Man at C&A and Dodoz like this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love them. Mostly the 70s stuff. I don't have much interest in what they did after, but those 7os albums I love and always will.

And I realize everyone has different taste so I wouldn't tell anyone they're wrong for not liking something, but I believe most people that just dismiss them out of hand haven't really heard the albums. Because there's a lot of great stuff. and just to use these two songs as an examples..

KISS - Let Me Know (W/ Lyrics)

I listen to those and I don't understand how someone can say that's not good rock.

8. I wonder how many of us were obsessed with Kiss as preteens, dropped them as we got older, and rediscovered them in our 30s. I know this is the trajectory for a handful of us.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    wrappedinsky, Sear, The Cat 3 and 8 others like this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The second most interesting band in rock history.

And the FUNNIEST.

10. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I went through my KISS phase like a lot of kids my age did when Alive & Alive II came out. I remember waiting anxiously for KISS Meets The Phantom to come on. I got into other music after Dynasty but always kept an eye on what they were doing. Got all in again for the reunion tour and enjoy them till this day for what they are, a fun rock n roll show. Looking forward to trying to see the farewell tour.

11. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Quite the opposite actually!

The band was/is insanely popular in places like Japan, Australia, South America. Heck, they were the places that kept Kiss afloat when the US gave up on them around 1979-1983.

And any glance at collectibles or ebay listings will reveal an unimaginable wealth of unique foreign pressings, imports, collectibles. Aside from being very "All American" in their drive or topical mindset, I almost think of Kiss as more of a "foreign band" sometimes! At the very least they are certainly out of this world. :p

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Quite possible the second or third most important band in the history of rock.

The Rolling Stones
    KISS
    The Beatles

It's that simple.

13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

My opinion is absolutely horrible talentless rubbish.

:)

14. Even so, what is your opinion of Kiss? :D

15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Good band with a firm commitment to rock music and remembered their primary job is to entertain people.

16. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

The same. :)

MongrelPiano and BDC like this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I can respect that. That's kinder than most! :)

wrappedinsky, MikeInFla and Kassonica like this.
  18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

No, they weren’t insanely popular. You need to check out their record sales worldwide from start to end. Popular in North America. But not so much around the rest of the world.

Kundalini and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  19. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Decent rock band.
    Four very unlikeable people.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  20. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Nice one.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  21. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I was in the my late twenties when I began to explore their music. At that age, I had no illusions about their abilities or their motivation (it was always all about getting rich, getting laid, getting loaded - though only the first two in the case of Gene and Paul). They are a 'fun band' with a fascinating history (just read those autobiographies!) and a surprisingly varied musical palette. A multi-genre band, in fact.

23. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

A lot of negativity here. I think KISS are a brilliant band.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

In my humble opinion, a good Rock/Pop Band that does a very high energy and entertaining show with a few memorable hits and album tracks. Seen them in concert twice during their 70’s/early 80’s heyday, once with Peter Criss at Madison Square Garden and the second time seeing their first show at the Palladium in NYC with Eric Carr on drums.

25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Apart from the comic book image, nothing. The "Detroit Rock City" movie was sort of entertaining though.

Man at C&A, Roger P and The Cat 3 like this.