Opinions about KISS?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That’s just one criteria though, and sales figures can be outdated and/or have a margin of error.

2. Efus

Efus Senior Member

You're right.
    When you headline sports arenas and multi-act festivals for the better part of an almost 50 year music career, thats big time.
    It places you among a very small group of bands that have actually accomplished that in their careers.

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Not that much of a margin of error for a group from that time period, and worldwide too.

4. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I never got the memo! Great music knows no one period of life. In fact I appreciate them even more as an adult than a kid. I'm not saying that makes me "normal" mind you. :laugh:

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I still love comics.

Scotbot, GrayMouser, moomaloo and 5 others like this.
  6. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I like them. They were popular when I was a teenager (or younger). That's why I like them. I can't understand why anyone else would.

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, I'm pretty decrepit and I still find most of their music thrilling.

Vinyl_Blues, vamborules and Curveboy like this.
  8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Funnily enough, I first became aware of them through their appearance as 'demons' in Howard The Duck (HtH author Steve Gerber was a big fan).

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A lavish pantomime act that produced some of, or rather the worst music I've ever heard. Utter garbage.

10. If I Can Dream_23

Yes, Kiss is notorious for not renewing their RIAA certifications. Even in America, their sales are under-represented. By a lot? Perhaps not. But they are indeed less than "actual sales". As are the sales of a lot of other artists where the record companies don't apply for re-certifications.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

As a kid I lived and breathed KISS from 75-78. I was very aware of their missteps with the solos and KMTPOP at the time and my enthusiasm plummeted. By the late 70s I was out and Unmasked was the first release I didn’t buy.

From there I moved on to more authentic and serious music. For me they laid dormant and were largely ignored until 1996 and the reunion. Paraphrasing Ace it really was like time traveling. It felt like 1977 all over again and was great.

After Ace and Peter left I lost interest again but I kept all the albums I had repurchased. Now I listen once in awhile it’s like visiting old friends or revisiting your youth. I know it’s schlock but it’s good schlock and so intertwined in my DNA I’ll always be a fan of the originals.

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

They are the teddy bear you never threw away.....

13. If I Can Dream_23

Another one I respect. And, again, kinder than most. :)

14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Interesting that most of the negative contributions on this thread are coming from Britain, a country that - in truth - never entirely embraced Kiss. They were more popular here post-1983 than before.

15. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Never liked the songs, the presentation or the image. Didn't even like the song that has ' Detroit ' in the title.

drobo and dalem5467 like this.
  16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I don't see as it's negative pointing out that they didn't sell anywhere near the same amount of records in countries worldwide as they did in North America. It's just the way it is.

Kundalini and Man at C&A like this.
  17. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

Yes he did. He was talking about "the facts, merchandise, pressings, fans or history they have worldwide".

Their albums sales reveal they weren't huge. There are many bands that are huge worldwide. Kiss isn't one of them.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Kundalini and Dodoz like this.
  18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Indeed not, and I wasn't referring to you.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  19. luckett

luckett Forum Resident

I own one album which is Destroyer.....I am not a huge fan but I do enjoy that album.....I am not here to bash them or say they are crap.....For how long they have lasted they must have had something to offer people.....

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love 'em. Their early albums (incl. Alive) are pretty awesome!

21. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Ok from 74-77, but nowhere near one of my favorites. Overrated? Who’s to say? The critics never rated them at all, and everyone is overrated by their biggest fans. Important? Again, depends on who. To me, no, not at all. To big fans of 80’s glam metal? Undoubtedly.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd say every band that uses a flashpot owes something to them...

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

sort of

MHS3, Osthagen, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  24. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Ah ha ha ha ha, this will end in tears.

Curveboy likes this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Also very country tinged...

KISS Mr. Speed