Opinions needed on these 1969 B & O speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by loomis, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loomis

loomis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi. Opinions wanted. Please take a look at my picture:

http://home.neo.rr.com/bughead/beovox.jpg

These are my 1969 Beovox 5000 speakers. They were the flagship of the line. They are somewhat similar to Bozak speakers I am told. Rosewood cabinets, 4 2" tweeters, 2 mids, 1 12" woofer. 4 ohms. Big and heavy. They cost a decent amount of money back then!

I realize that today Bang & Olufsen is this weird esoteric Bose-esque company that makes gear that isn't audiophile grade. But what do you guys think about these early speakers? It would appear that B & O made audiophile grade gear once upon a time.

The reason that I ask is becuase I am trying to decide if I should restore these speakers or buy new ones. The crossovers need rebuilt and there are some tears in a few of the speakers, but they do sound nice. I just dont want to get into a situation where I have to spend a slew of money to find a comparable speaker. I went to the local audiophile store and I really didn't hear anything affordable that really sounded that much better than these IMO, and that's with these needing the crossovers rebuilt.

Opinions? Thanks

2. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Welcome to the forum :wave: ... sounds (pun intended) to me like you have answered your own question ... what difference does it make if someone else doesn't like them? ... or prefers a different speaker? ... you like them ... isn't that what matters? :) ...

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have the same situation with my Tangent RS8 speakers. I've tried quite a few different speakers ($3,000.00 and under) and although some equalled the Tangents, I've not heard anything better. I guess that's a good thing.... :)

But can they (your speakers) be repaired?

Another thing you could consider is replacing the speakers internal wiring as sometimes really cheap stuff was used. This would improve the sound even more.

Good luck!

Gary

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

The wiring in a lot of speakers is just standard hookup wire, probably just 18 or 20 gauge. I've been meaning to do that to a few pair of my own speakers, perhaps even soldering the wire to the speaker connectors to eliminate a mechanical connection. Can't hurt. :)

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Use quality wire, Rudy. :) Cardas makes some.....

6. loomis

loomis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you guys tell me what kind of wire to use if I should decide to rewire these cabinets? Also what type of solder? Also, should I attempt to somehow and add a banana plug setup?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.