Opinions on a reasonably priced transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by matthewp, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthewp

matthewp chronic procrastinator Thread Starter

Hopefully this won't open a can of worms but I'm interested in a purchasing a CD transport. My DAC is a PS Audio NuWave DSD. Presently I've been using a Marantz CD5005 or a Sony UBP-X800 as a transport but prefer the SQ of the Sony. I've been researching the usual suspects, the Cambridge CXC and the NuPrime CDT-8 and the Audiolab 6000CDT seems to be the new guy in town. Has anyone any first hand experience with either of these?

-Matt

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm using the Audiolab with a NuWave DAC--great combo, excellent sound.

matthewp likes this.
  3. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Not that I play CDs very much these days, but I have a CXC feeding the DAC in my Hegel H190. Sounds great and a bargain for the money. I'm sure the others are equally good.

matthewp likes this.
  4. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

If about US$900 is within "reasonable" for you, a used Simaudio 260D.

MGW and matthewp like this.
  5. matthewp

Thanks for the replies fellas albeit 15 mos later :tiphat:. I eventually ended up with a Woo Audio WTP-1 top loader and an audiolab M-DAC +.
    -Matt

Mike-48 and jonwoody like this.
  6. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Congratulations on getting it sorted out. I'll be interested in your impressions of the M-DAC+, and what you're comparing it to. It will be nice to hear if you think it lives up to the enthusiastic reviews.

7. matthewp

Thx Mike. I like the M-DAC+ a lot, with the adjustable filters it's much more enjoyable than the NuWave DSD. The only other DACs that I've been able to compare it with are entry level like the Topping D30 and D50, a Musiland MD-11 and a couple of older Schiit offerings.
    -Matt

Mike-48 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.