Opinions on tusk by fleetwood mac

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EchoStars24, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EchoStars24

EchoStars24 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It's a very controversial album. For instance, I love it, but my dad hates it (except for like two songs)

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Do you mean "shouldn't have been a double album"? Because it was a double album.

steelinYaThighs and Scope J like this.
  3. EchoStars24

EchoStars24 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

yeah I messed up

4. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

If ever an album needed reprogramming it is this one. The album does not flow at all. They should have put Stevie on one side, Christine on another and Lindsey on his own. The extra songs put on the last side.

5. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

This is the one from the commercially viable line-up that I listen to the most frequency - probably because it's the one I didn't overplay as a young person. It's grown on me tremendously over the years. I voted for "it's awesome."

6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I never was a fan of the cover; it looks like a Formica sample. Still, it's what's inside the cover and all those multiple liner sleeves that count.

Consider me a fan of all the quirks of this double album.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I thought it was a great album

8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Liked it immediately upon release and I have grown to love it more over they years... my personal favorite by the band (although lots to like on the other albums).

The massive impact of "Rumours" may have led to a bit of burnout... no such problem with "Tusk" as it was never in constant rotation everywhere I went unlike its predecessor. ;)

9. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

It's the only Nicks/Buckingham era album I like.

10. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I like Tusk - but agree that the album lacks any sense of organic flow, starting right from the get-go with the less-than-gripping album opener "Over And Over". Maybe the unsettling sequencing was deliberate, given Lindsey Buckingham's obsession about the album not being "Rumours, Part 2".

Having said that, when Tusk is good - it's great. The title track is the kind of strange but gorgeous pop madness Buckingham wanted the album to be and "Think About Me" is THE lost Fleetwood Mac classic.

hiterss, Royce, Vinyl_Blues and 5 others like this.
  11. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I like it but as California Couple mentioned, the track sequence could have used a little tweaking. As much as I love "Over and Over", it just doesn't work as an album opener.

sunking101 and California Couple like this.
  12. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I think Buckingham tried his best to sabotage it but it didn't work. Great album but not easy listening.

hiterss and zebop like this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

For me, it's good. Think About Me and Sara are two of my favorite Mac songs.

14. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Should've been a double album.

15. gsmile

gsmile Forum Resident

I understand why people might not like "Over and Over" as the album opener: dirge-like, sparse, not really single material. But it's actually one of my favorite ever album openers.

When I became a Fleetwood Mac fan in the late 90s, the legend of the Tusk album was really cemented. I read that it was highly expirmental, not exactly the shining beacon of pop music that Rumours was. When I got a copy (original CD with the edited Sara, sounds good if not for that unfortunate edit), I was preparing for some far out Lindsay weirdness from the first track. When "Over and Over" started it's loping groove, I was taken off guard. The music sounded spaced out, druggy even. Christine sounded at her most lonely. I got goosebumps at the dynamics of Mick's drumming, especially THAT fill near the end (you know the one). This track could almost make you believe you were preparing for a double album of future radio hits. And then BAM, The Ledge starts skronking about, all wobbly guitars and pitch shifted vocals, with nothing even approaching the hi-fi sound of Rumours. The album had me in the palm of its hand then!

"Over and Over" is a great song and an effective opener in that it sets you up to be perpetually surprised by the eclectic styles found on the Tusk album. I voted "It's awesome". Love my bog standard Canadian pressing of the 2LP and I've enjoyed both CD deluxe editions for their excellent extra tracks and a pretty decent modern remaster.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the cover is unwieldy, hideous, and an affront to my eyes.
    the music is pretty good.

17. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

My favourite album of all time. I don't I've ever partially played it - always the whole way through.

rischa, Stencil, Bananas&blow and 7 others like this.
  18. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

There are one or two clunkers for sure on there (Sisters Of The Moon) but overall, wow what a ballsy move to make a record like this after Rumors. Who really takes risks like that anymore, or ever? Pushing the boundaries and not at all giving people what they expected. And what we got is a record that just keeps getting better over the years, but not everybody understood or appreciated when it came out. That is true artistry.

willy, Vinyl_Blues, Rickchick and 6 others like this.
  19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This album for me has always been a big old mess and VERY hard for me to enjoy as it sits. I'm happy that many find solace with this thing and naturally, after "Rumours" what could really be expected, but it just seems so undone. I enjoy some of the songs on it now in hindsight, but the only song that has ever made me go back and say, "Lindsey was really onto something here", was "That's All For Everyone". The songs starts off very dirge like, but once it gets to that Brian Wilson like harmony part, then it really takes off for me. I'm sure if the drugs, the sexual partner exchanges and the overall excess of everything that comes from the type of $$$ provided all of them from the massive sales of the prior album, then maybe this album would've been a little better executed, in my opinion.

ted321 likes this.
  20. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's the Buckingham/Nicks era album that I listen to least. I don't hate it. I just don't love. The Nicks songs are the strongest songs. Probably the only reason I ever play these records.

Vinyl_Blues and maui jim like this.
  21. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Tusk is my fav FM album the fact it's sort of a mess and all over the place is probably a perfect reflection of themselves... It's strange and has some weird jams and some beautiful tunes. It's quirky and fun at times, great album IMO

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

It would have been perfect had they kicked Stevie out.

boyo likes this.
  23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Great song, great opener, and completely sets you up for the entire album to follow.

Which I think is sequenced wonderfully, too.

My Canadian pressing is lights out, as well.

24. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Favorite FM album and Over and Over is close to my favorite FM track. Ballsy move to place it first, really sets the tone that this is not gonna be your standard album.

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Huh? This set of performances is her strongest as a member of Fleetwood Mac.

mark_j, gregorya, mbrownp1 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.