Opitimum Record Level for Reel Tape?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Friends,

I have been recording on Reel tape since I was 15 years old. Of course, over the years the "tape" has changed drastically. I began recording on Scotch 111 in 1966 and I now use EMTEC 900. "900" is a professional grade, high output formula tape.

For the most part, my recording skills have been self-taught as a hobbyist. I have been re-thinking my recording and mastering techniques as result of this Forum and the resultant subtle changes have enhanced the sound quality of my recordings.

Question: What is the proper record levels for professional quality, high output formula tape? With the "900", I have been recording with the highest peaks levels at +10 VU. Through trial and error, I discovered this record level produces powerful recordings while keeping the noise floor less noticeable on playback. I never use any type of noise reduction.

I am now questioning the wisdom of this approach. Any input from those who use a Reel deck either as a hobbyist or as a professional is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob:)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Now you're asking? After 38 years? Heh.

+10 is higher than they hit the meters for mixing "Who's Next"! Gee whiz. (The British engineers never used Dolby A if they could help it, they just banged the meters at +10 and compressesd right on the spot; better than a limiter and the noise level was low--- "Never A Dull Moment" is like this.)

Your non-pro machine is probably saturating the tape at +3! Back off the meters and just have an occasional peak at +3 otherwise you are compressing the whole thing. Take it from one who knows and has made the same mistake.

Now on an Ampex ATR-100 you could probably bang the meters at +6 with no ill effect.

Today, pro engineers (who still know what analog tape is) consider +3 as the standard "0 vu".

3. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Thanks - I know! - you would think after all the recording that I have done that I *should* know the answer to this question readily. I suppose the answer is actually more complex. I am not an Engineer - just a "guy" who loves music and recording. I do get a bit confused. The VU meters go to +20 VU. In my naivety, I thought at +10 VU, I was showing some prudent restraint!;)

I will follow your advise and simply "go forward" with that approach. At some point, I must obtain a *real* machine. Ultimately, that acquisition is my goal.

A BIG thanks!

4. Steve Hoffman

Wait, Bob, your meters go to +20? And it doesn't show red after Zero? I'm corn-fused.

In 1939 "Zero" VU (the loudest point of a given sound before distortion sets in) was standardized. We've only gone up 3 db (decibels) since then. Everything after Zero on a meter is supposed to be marked in red!

A decibel is the smallest amount that the human ear can supposedly detect a sound to be changing in volume, up or down. Most of us (especially those on this Forum) can probably hear changes in 1/2 db increments. (A big pat on the back for us!)

5. Bob Lovely

Steve,

My VU meters show RED from 0 VU to + 20 VU. I have been recording with my highest peaks at + 10 VU. EMTEC (BASF) *says* that with the "900" high output tape that you can drive it hard up to + 12 VU, hence my choice of peak level. However, I was recording "River Deep, Mountain High" by Ike & Tina Turner last night at +10 VU peaks and I was not happy with the sound during monitoring while recording and it struck me that I should ask about record level here!

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The Nashville standard is +6/250nWb/m.

I think LA and NY use 200nWb/m as their reference. Is that right Steve? Does that mean they record at +9/200nWb/m?

7. Steve Hoffman

Bob, as they say in Ireland, "Oy vey"!

8. Bob Lovely

Which means?

9. Angel

Angel New Member

Oy Vey!
    We can learn a lot about people from how they give expression to feelings of shock or sorrow. Different cultures have formulated a variety of quasi-verbal ways of instinctively reacting to distressing situations. In some cases it will be through an obscenity or blasphemy. Among Jews however there are two expressions which are most familiar to us. Ashkenazic Jews will cry "Oy vey!" whereas Sepharadim will blurt out the very similar-sounding "Way, way!"
    The "vey" component of "oy vey" exists in German as well ("weh"), and might have entered Yiddish from there--though, as we shall observe below, this is not necessarily so. The "oy" however does not seem traceable to any outside source. This seems to hold true as well of the "Way" of North African Jews, which does not (insofar as my inquiries have revealed so far) show up in the vernacular languages of their Muslim neighbours. These facts invite further investigation.

"Oy" is actually an old and authentic Hebrew word. It appears with some frequency in the Bible, where it is usually rendered in English as "woe!" It is not always spoken by Jews, and hence we find such scenes as that in 1 Samuel 4:7-8, in which the Philistines are depicted as crying "Oy!" in confused anticipation of an Israelite attack.

In the book of Ecclesiastes we find a variant of this interjection, pronounced "Ee!" as in: "Ee to him that is alone when he falls" (4:10). This form seems to have become the prevalent one by the time we get to the era which produced the Mishnah (1st to 3rd centuries C.E.), and appears in such phrases as "Ee to me whether I speak or remain silent!" and "Ee to the wicked and to his neighbour!" [By the way, you won't find this form in the normal printed editions of the Mishnah, which replaced the strange-sounding "ee" with the more familiar "oy." The quotations listed above are from reliable manuscripts].

It is when we reach the period of the Talmud and Midrash (3rd to 6th centuries) that Jews begin using a new expression in order to give vent to their pain and tribulation: the familiar "vay' or "way!" This word appears in dozens of passages in rabbinic literature, as the equivalent of its older cousins "oy" and "ee." "Vay" (or "way") was apparently not considered a distinctively Jewish expression at the time, since the same word was in use in both Greek ("ouai") and Latin ("vae"), carrying precisely the same meanings as their Hebrew counterparts.
    Thus for example, the midrash relates the following charming anecdote about Rabban Gamaliel who blessed his daughter on the birth of her first child with the rather upsetting prayer "May the word `vay" never budge from your lips." When his daughter voiced her dismay at receiving such a "blessing," the doting zeydeh explained his real intention: His wish was that she might have many occasions to lament about such domestic "troubles" as "Vay, my baby won't eat! Vay, my baby doesn't want to go to school!" Rabban Gamaliel astutely perceived that there are certain types of parental torments that we learn to prefer over the alternatives.

And just so that you should not be mistaken into supposing that Jews only knew how to suffer, we should make it clear that talmudic literature knows also of an appropriate interjection for joyous occasions: "Wah!" The similarity between the sounds of way and wah often furnished occasions for elaborate word-plays, which hinted subtly at just how fragile the borderline between sorrow and joy often is.

10. Bob Lovely

Angel,

Thanks - very interesting! Thanks for sharing. As to how this expession pertains to my "situation" here, in this thread, I am as dense as a metal doorknob.

11. Steve Hoffman

Oy vey, you've believed the tape box and have been recording too hot for years. OY: Shock and sorrow. :)

12. Steve Hoffman

Some studios only; not many though.

13. Bob Lovely

Ding! - I get it!:D

Life is filled with revelations. I am glad I asked.

Well, going forward, no more than +3 VU peak it is.

Steve, thanks for the class!

Humbled,

14. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

In Ireland they tend to say Feck :) :agree:

All the best - Andrew

15. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

16. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Bob,

If your meters go up to +20 they are not real VU meters. They may be some sort of peak reading meters, but on the other hand they may not. Settings for PPMs (peak meters) are quite different from those for VU meters. That being the case it's impossible to guess at what the proper levels are. Anyway, your ear is always the best judge. And anyway VU meters only give an indication of average loudness so you need to know what kinds of sounds you can get away with pushing and what kinds you need to back off with. (VUs will largely ignore large, fast transients.)

In my experience the super-high-output tapes can really be slammed in the midrange, but not in the bass. And not as much in the treble.

17. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Thanks - I know that you have a lot of experience with Reel machines. Not *real* VU meters, eh? Well, that is distressing to hear after all these years since I purchased the deck. They are labeled as "VU" but, that may be an inaccuracy.

Here is a a link to a pic and specs of my machine:

http://www.retroaudio.ru/others/decks/Teac X-1000R.shtml

I appreciate your advise, insights and experiences!

18. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Or more food for thought--is the deck calibrated properly? Could the meters be under-reading the actual level, and therefore the 10dB doesn't sound as distorted as it usually would?

I also wonder how many meters marked "VU" are actually true VU meters. VU meters are weighted to respond a certain way, more of an average reading vs. a peak-reading meter.

19. Bob Lovely

Rudy,

I will tell you that my recorder has been over-hauled twice by a local guy who is a legend with Reel machines in this area. He set the bias to match the tape I use as well. The pinch rollers have been replaced twice as well.

My recorder was designed to use both conventional and "EE" tape (a short-lived tape formula). I recorded test recordings last night deploying (3) different peak level settings on (2) test tracks. I will post the results of the test here shortly.

20. Bob Lovely

Peak Level Test

Friends,

Last night I decided to record some tests deploying different record levels. I decided to record (2) different tracks at (3) different peak level settings. Because I am presently recording vintage tracks on my project, I choose (2) tracks from the early 60's - one compressed and one more dynamic:

1) The Loco-motion - Little Eva (underdub) 1962
    2) Torquay - Fireballs (Stereo) 1963

I recorded each track (3) times with the very highest peaks during recording hitting the following levels: +3, +6, & +10 on the VU meters. I did not re-master either track - I recorded them straight, as is.

Again, these tracks were recorded on EMTEC 900 - a professional, high output tape.

Results: On my recorder the most pleasing sonic results were +6 on the "The Loco-motion" and +10 on "Torquay". The differences on "The Loco-motion" between +6 and +10 were nearly indistinguishable. At either level (the +6 or +10 peak level setting), this track simply "cooks". Both tracks sounded "wimpy" at +3 and I could hear just a "tad" more tape hiss during playback. "Torquay" really cooks at +10 (highest peaks). This is a very high fidelity recording with deep bass, great mid-range and impressive dynamic range.

In my experience, Reel tape has a "sweet spot" that is just below the record level of tape saturation and compression. Record too far below this "spot" and the recording has less life and power. The real trick on Reel tape recording is understanding that each track has a "sweet spot" on tape as you record it that is unique to the track. One great quality about recording on Reel tape is that if you do not like the result you can simply record the track over.

21. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

A guide to the Twin Cities that my sister got when she moved there described some of the locals' language oddities, most of which are equally applicable to this part of Wisconsin. One of my favorite lines in the whole book was about the upper Midwestern phrase "Uff da!" It was aptly described in the book as "Norwegian for 'oy vey!'"

22. Steve Hoffman

I've never heard of that before Bob. Could be that your meters are reading higher than the actual signal is hitting the tape.

If I recorded at +10 on my machine, the tape would be slightly saturated, meaning the machine was doing it's own "remaster". It's possible that your machine is adding a sound that you like to the tape. Or, it's possible that you are 100 percent correct. Either way, as long as you are happy with the result, I'm happy. :)

23. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Thanks for your comments. What have you never heard before?

I did mean to expess that the tape on my machine liked +6 and +10 but not +3. I should also add that on my machine, I have decided, going forward to record with my highest peaks at +6 v. +10. I think this is a wise decision....

24. Steve Hoffman

What have I never heard before?

A tape that sounded better at a higher record level. Usually at +10 I can hear the artifacts of pushing the tape: Slight clipping, a "rounding" of the sound towards the midrange, etc.

25. Bob Lovely

I see!:)

When I first recorded on this machine, I used regular formula tape and I recorded with the peaks in the +3 range. With Super High Output tape, I noticed through some tests that you can drive it harder. In fact, it almost demands it based on my tests from last night.

However, I have decided to "back-off" the levels going forward to a more modest +6 highest peaks. I would never record that high on conventional formula tape.

I learned a valuable lesson by starting this thread!

Thank you,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.