Oppo 105D with Modwright Modification

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, that Sony should sing with these mods...

econalan likes this.
  2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think most of the units Dan modifies have both those options. He usually throws them in free for previous customers, and has sales (to get them free) a couple of times a year.

3. Tullman

I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully, if in the future Oppo comes out with the new improved model and Modwright has mods for the Oppo, I would like to be able to use the power supply with it.

4. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I heard both the modded and standard version. Save your pennies and you'll be greatly rewarded.

econalan likes this.
  5. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

ahhhh....now you've done it :). Maybe next time he offers one of his flash mod sales on his circle.

6. Tullman

You may want to call and ask about a deal, all they can say is yes or no.

econalan likes this.
  7. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I agree that a call to Dan might get you where you want to be.

econalan likes this.
  8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

FWIW, I was at a get together a couple years back and met some of the guys from Oppo US including the lead designer.
    I asked him about Oppo mods and the only one he gave a nod to was Dan.

9. Tullman

F
    For sure, Dan has a good relationship with Oppo. Not only are the mods sonically impressive but Oppo trusted modwright to install my replacement transport. I didn't have to spend time or money sending it to Oppo.

10. Tullman

How about a picture or two?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DPM, IAMBLEST, econalan and 5 others like this.
  11. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I've been enjoying my 105 Modwright since late last summer; swapped out the stock tubes for what was recommended by Kristin and Dan; Sophia 6SN7's and Philips 5R4GYS for the pwr supply.
    I love it, but unfortunately the Sophia's I rec'd from Galen Audio are pretty darn microphonic to the point where it's difficult to listen to acoustic jazz because the vibrations from the double bass set these tubes ringing and singing like crazy, pretty frustrating. Shame on me for not sending them back to the mfg yet since there is a one yr warranty on them. I will do that but haven't yet. The stock 6sn7's weren't microphonic at all but just do not have the same sonic bliss the Sophia's provide. Listening to the classic rock etc that I favor outside of jazz is no issue with the microphonics simply because there's not much "quiet" background, it's just certain low freq's usually associated with the acoustic double bass that presents the issue.
    Other than that minor quibble, and that's no fault whatsoever of Modwright, this thing is a beauty! Something about that sexy blue umbilical cord between the pwr supply and player!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  12. Tullman

Had no issues with the Sophia tube, thankfully.

13. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I'll be joining this club soon. I've ordered a brand new oppo 105D in silver and Dan is doing the full mods for me with the bybee rail and the other upgrades along with the Sophia 6sn7 and Philips 5R4GYS tubes.

Should be arriving in two weeks and shipping to Dubai is going to be ridiculously expensive.

Can't wait to hear it tho.

IanL likes this.
  14. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I've had my Modwright 105D for about 18 months and it's great tho I mostly listen to vinyl. I too upgraded to the Sophia and had the same microphonics issue and didn't buy from Galen. replaced with Shuguang and life is good.

15. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

What about using the Modded 105D as a DAC via USB. Is that part of the improvement, or disc play only ?

Is anybody using it as a USB DAC , in addition to the disc playing capability ?

16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The improvements are all to the DAC section of the player. So I would expect that its use as a DAC should be improved by about the same amount as would its use as a disk-spinner.

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

You're using the $150.00 version of the Venom too? Made a huge difference in the sound for me. They should provide a cable this good with their players. And charge just a little more. The difference is astounding.

As you confirmed with me recently, the electricity down here is awful. And the electricity up where you are now is much better.

18. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I got the modwright with all available upgrades. Bybee rail, audio magic pulse mod etc.

I have my stock tubes in for the first month and it sounds astonishing.

I cant wait until I put the new tubes in.

The only way I can describe the sound is the warmth and thickness of vinyl, with the lower noise floor of digital cds.

I got the silver one and it looks so good.

IanL and Tullman like this.
  19. Tullman

How about some pics of the silver modded Oppo?

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im not clear on this. He puts a tube stage in the power supply? What will a tube stage in the power supply do?

21. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

If you go to the show off your system thread in audio hardware I posted a few pics of it.

22. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

It's a rectifier tube in the power supply.

23. Tullman

I see you have the big hole on the power supply for the new tube. Please let us know how it sounds with the new tubes.

[​IMG]

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, Im ignorant about how that would help the sound. Can you explain?

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.