Oppo 83 SE and SACD playback

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Percivale, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Percivale

Percivale Active Member Thread Starter

Hello Everybody

I am an owner of 83 SE model. (Bought second –hand, not so long ago).
    I would like to purchase some SACD discs, however I have some doubts about the quality of their playback on Oppo 83se. I mean stereo SACDs. I have tested some multi- channel sacds and they seem to sound quite good to me but I have no experience in this matter and I cannot compare to other Hi Fi equipment.

This model has received fairly good reviews, but none of them clearly indicates what is the quality of SACD playback in comparison to other players.

Therefore, could anyone please write how the quality of SACD (mainly stereo) playback on Oppo 83 SE can be compared to other audiophile sacd players?

I wouldn’t like to invest in rather expensive discs if the quality is not satisfactory.

Moreover, I was also thinking about the purchase of HD tracks 24/192. However, I don’t know how to play them on Oppo. I read that the only possible way is to convert such flacs into waves and make a DVD –audio disc by means of some software.
    The question is here again about the quality. Has anyone ever played 24/192 waves on Oppo 83 SE? If so, could you share your views on this matter (what way and what effect?).

To sum it up: does it make sense to buy stereo sacds or 24/192 flacs to play them on Oppo 83SE?

I will be very grateful for any comment.
    Best Regards
    Tom

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm sorry but I can't comment because I only have a regular BDP-83.

3. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

SACDs, yes. 24/192 flacs, mebbe/mebbe not. The fundamental sound quality of the 83SE is very good but the bother of downloading and burning a compatible DVD is questionable. In fact, I don't know why anyone would bother doing that these days with all the options for direct file playback.

Percivale likes this.
  4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I can't comment on the issue of the 24/192 flacs, but I have the 83SE and the stereo SACD sound quality is excellent. Steve's CCR discs particularly shine. When you add in its capabilities to play DVD-As, stereo and multichannel, multichannel SACDs, and Blu-rays, audio and video, plus redbook CDs, it's quite a unit.

gkella likes this.
  5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

6. olson

olson Forum Resident

I have their BDP-83 and I think that stereo SACD's sound great one this unit. I have greatly increased my SACD collection since the purchase of the Oppo.

I would recommend picking up a SACD of music you are familiar with and having a listen instead of relying on others opinions.

One word of warning. My BDP-83 initially seemed to want to default to Multi Channel, instead of stereo, and there were several WTF moments until I learned how to catch this and change the output with the remote. I now have the latest firmware and it now stays in Stereo Mode for SACD unless I change it.

Additionally this is one of a few players that will recognize and play a SACD.iso (a SACD burned to a DVD silver Disc)

Cheers,

7. Percivale

Thank you ALL for YOUR valuable comments.

I know that Oppo 83se can play 24/192 waves (not flacs). Someone advised me to buy HD-Solo Audio to make DVD-audio from HD waves.

Has anyone tried to play in this way?

Does it make sense? What about the quality?

8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yes Cirlinca will take the wav and create a DVD-A structured disc, works great, Oh I still use my BDP-80 for sacd stereo if that tells you anything :)

9. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

For what it's worth, I burn flac files purchased from HD Tracks onto a blank dvd and it plays just fine on my BDP-83SE. I have also burned cds from flac files and they too play without issues. I have never had a need to convert flac files.

Alan

10. Percivale

Do you burn 24/192 tracks?
    Oppo 83SE cannot play any flacs. So the only way to play them is to convert to waves.

11. Percivale

Have you ever made any comparisons between Oppo 83SE and other SACD players?

I wonder what is the quality of SACD playback (on Oppo 83SE) in reference to other audiophile players.

12. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

I do not do anything to the files and most of them are 24/96. Unless the Burn program that I use performs some sort of trickery on the files these go from HD Tracks to Burn to the Oppo without any problems.

I did try to play some flac files that were on a usb drive and the Oppo would not recognize them but never a problem with flacs burned to disc....strange.

Alan

13. Percivale

These flacs must definitely be converted to waves for the Oppo 83SE to play them.

What can you say about the quality of 24/192?

Is it worth to buy them and then to play on Oppo 83SE?

A friend of mine made two DVD-As for me from his 24/192 HD tracks (Joy Division "Closer" and Prince "Purple Rain").
    Both versions on DVD-A played worse than standard CDs which I have in my collection. I was dissapointed.

I have been wondering what's wrong with these HD tracks.

Is Oppo 83SE able to give good playback of 24/192 files?

14. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

The Oppo 83SE is capable of great hi-rez playback.

15. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

16. Percivale

quote="Kal Rubinson, post: 10096647, member: 13381"] http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/music_in_the_round_41
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-50-page-2-0[/quote]

Thank you for your comment.

I read your review with a big interest. I even managed to get hold of the issue of Stereophile from April 2010.
    What fascinated me was the reviewers’ placement of Oppo 83SE ranking it in class A.

I found out that Sony 5400ES (the model you referred 83SE to ) was placed in class A+. It is quite understandable.

I realise that this tabulation is very approximate and cannot be taken as a precise verdict but still…, a closer look at the chart made me baffled a little.

It’s hard for me to realise that Oppo 83SE is placed on the same shelf as Ayre CX-7EMP (class A).

Can the sound of Oppo 83SE be (more or less) really comparable to the top notch quality of Ayre CX-7EMP or Meridian 808i.2???

Or my reasoning is completely false and the such suppositions are soundless?

In the same chart, Cambridge Audio Azur 740C is placed in class B with the comment “With its precise and certain timing, exceptional bass authority and dynamic range, the 740C was close to the best CD player I’ve heard to date” said S.T.

Can I conclude that Oppo 83 SE (class A) outperformes 740C or maybe is close to model 840C (missing in the chart)?

At the same time, Oppo bests Cary Audio Design Concept CDP1?

I will be very grateful for your comment.
    I appreciate your great experience and knowledge in reviewing Hi-Fi equipment.

Best Regards

17. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

The Oppo BDP-83SE is an exceptional piece of audio artistry....It may not sit on the top throne anymore, but all the players on the top thrones still take advice from the 83SE and admire him ! If you want to get a better player than the 83SE I am sure there are better ones starting at $25,000.

Percivale likes this.
  18. Percivale

I realise that Oppo 83SE may be considered a very good player. But placing it in on the same shelf Ayre CX-7EMP or Meridian 808i.2 makes me dubious.
    I would never have thought that Oppo 83SE's musicality can be assessed in class A and put in the company of other very distinguished Hi-Fi equipment (at a price from 2500$ to 17000$) . Oppo 83SE price: 900$.

For me class B would be an appropriate assessment. But I have very little experience in comparing and listening to top notch quality equipments, So I expreesed my doubts. I presume there might be some mistake in this chart from 2010 April issue of Stereophile.

In this chart Oppo 83 standard version was placed in class B so cosequently reviewers had to place 83SE in class A.

Some other comments would be very welcome.

19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have a comment...just buy a 2-channel SACD and listen for yourself. You could have already ordered one on Amazon last Thursday when you started this thread and had it delivered by today.

paddycook, Limelakephoto and SamS like this.
  20. Limelakephoto

It to me spending double to get 10-25% more performance is silly. If you have the money to do it ! And I wouldn't fault you for doing it. If I had to pick a fault with the 83SE it would be...I just doesn't like some of my sacd's...it skips a few tracks on some sacd's. And rejects a few others. It's been that way since new.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is the best advice you will receive on this thread. I have a BPD-83SE and I think the sound is quite good for SACD. Better than the $5K SCD-1 I used to own!

mikeyt and Limelakephoto like this.
  22. Limelakephoto

Better measurements may put things in higher classes.....Will they sound better ? That's subjective and personal.

23. Limelakephoto

I had an expensive solid state amp for a while....Man it sounded delicious ! I sold it and bought a tube amp that cost a quarter of the price.....I love the cheaper amp more and I used the proceeds to buy more music, nice pair of cans, headphoneamp, and most importantly....I took my darling wife out for dinner and sent her to the spa. I like nice specs too.....nice specs of pepper and fine spices on my supper while I listen to my OPPO.

24. Limelakephoto

And I still had money left over !

25. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I have the 83 SE and I use it mostly for movies and DVD-A playback. The SACD playback is fine but my Arcam CD37 blows it away for SACD/Redbook playback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.