OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

3. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

103D will not be the same price as a regular 103. Unless you almost pulled the trigger on a Darbee Darblet, I think you'd do just fine sticking with a standard 103.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

Exactly what I wanted to hear! I hate buyer's remorse.

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I agree! I just bought a 103 & am very happy with it. I don't have a 4k set and DVDS/Blu rays look outstanding on my system.

HAmmer and jeffsab like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I guess I'll have to eat my hat as I didn't think Oppo would offer the Darbee in their players :tiphat:. How much more will the 103D cost over the 103? I'm very happy with my 103 so I'm good :).

Bill

HAmmer likes this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Part Three - impressive.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

So the 105 will play gapless streaming from iTunes?

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

In the prior thread AztecChimera asked:

"Just to clarify, that's with multiple files (in the "Emperor" example that would mean Movement1.flac + Movement2.flac + Movement3.flac), correct?"

No - as I said in my prior post if you use cue files as I described - and what I described was an edit master, easily obtainable when ripping SACDs. I assume joining FLAC files would accomplish the same thing.

BTW - I join my multi-movement classical files in iTunes as a matter of course to allow for shuffling complete works.

13. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

OK thanks for the clarification.

14. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

SamS,

I asked a simple question about the "improved" CUE support and you reply by insulting me and suggesting I buy a Mac mini.

Oh, and dial down the pedantic snark, chief. "Network" vs. "Networking"? Really? Check the thread title. N-e-t-w-o-r-k-i-n-g.

FYI I currently own three Oppo players and I've owned three others previously. So I don't need Oppo fanboi schtick. I'm simply thinking of upgrading transport and processor/receiver and if the BDP-10x can do proper gapless then I don't have to limit my processor/receiver search to the brands (Denon, Pioneer Elite) that have implemented proper gapless.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I insulted you? I offered a legit suggestion to solve your concern, one that would meet the requirements you appeared to lay out.

Is "networking" synonymous with gapless audio playback in consumer electronics?

I'll cool off with the pedantic comments when people quit griping about missing features the player was never advertised to perform, and act like it's like some kind of obligaton owed. Fair?

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I quoted your post, which used your original emphasis on "network". I am not being pedantic about the difference between the two words, only pointing out that you described the player as a "networking device", when it should be described as a "network Blu-ray player". Two different things.

17. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

SamS, instead of coming up with all kinds of crazy workarounds for gapless file playback, why don't' you use your influence with Oppo and get them to make gapless file play back work properly. Cue sheets is a crazy way of getting this done. It may not be what the player was designed for, but this forum surly shows that it is what people want. If Oppo could get this thing to play back gapless from any media source it would be a sure crowd pleaser. Why it was not considered from the get go is beyond me. Gapless playback has been part of how people listen to music since time began, Vinyl, Reel To Reel, Cassette Tape, CD, DVD-A, SACD, Live Performance and so on. Why it has been neglected for the computer file format is beyond me. The excuse that it is a Blu-Ray player first is baloney. Blue Ray is already a dying format, and the future is with file based media and cloud storage. Oppo needs to fix the problem, not keep coming up with band aids for a feature that people really want. An I-Pod can do it and so can many cheap mp3 players, there is no good reason that Oppo could not have implemented this properly.

18. The problem is that the SOC used by Oppo (Mediatek, I believe) doesn't support gapless, so Oppo's engineers have to kludge their way around this shortcoming. The CUE sheet solution is one way of doing this. If gapless would have been easy to implement in the 103 and 105, Oppo would have done so already.

eddiel likes this.
  19. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

They should have never used that chip in the first place, It's some what dated. They should have commissioned their chip suppliers to come up with a chip that could do what needs to be done today, not what was supported 4 or so years ago. They just wanted to use an off the shelf chip to save on costs.

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I like my 103, as is.:laugh:

stereoptic and audiomixer like this.
  21. john greenwood

It may be what the people in this forum want, but it doesn't seem to be the primary preoccupation of people in the AVSForum. Of over 7000 posts in their Official Oppo 105 thread, only 65 contain the word "gapless." Speaking, anecdotally, there are a lot more people frustrated by syncing problems with Netflix.

22. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

My opinion is that the player, whatever it may be, should have the primary purpose of playing music as it was intended to be listened to. You would not buy an amp unless it faithfully reproduced what was fed into it, nor would you buy speakers that can not re-create the signal being fed to them. Why have a unit that can play a particular format, but not as the Musician/Artist intended ? Reproducing the Music as intended should be top most especially at the price point of the 105.

23. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Streaming to the Oppo is a bonus that the player provides as far as I'm concerned. Gapless playback can be achieved by inserting the disc and pressing play. While I would like gapless streaming, it doesn't diminish the fact the Oppo is a great player. Let's not single Oppo out as the only vendor that has struggled with gapless playback. PS Audio has been working on this problem for over a year.

SamS likes this.
  24. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

The Oppo is a great Disc Player, but I don't recall ever seeing Oppo market this a s a Blu-Ray Player with "Bonus" Features. It's amazing that some people are willing to settle for a compromise to justify a product. At $1200,00, I just do not have that much room for compromise. Why put in a half baked feature in an Audiophile Grade piece of equipment and than say it's better than nothing at all, when there are solutions out there that smaller and far less expensive file based players have accomplished years ago.

25. john greenwood

Let's start with the fact that for most people the 103 at least is a video player, not an audio player. Given the discussion on the Oppo 105 thread, it seems that most people see that as a video player as well. For those people streaming means streaming movies.

Oppo describes its SMB/CIFS network feature as experimental. (I am not familiar with how the Oppo handles music via DLNA.)

As for reproducing classical music (and half of my collection is classical) let's face it - we're an afterthought - as we are in most digital contexts.

Oppo is paying some attention to gapless playback, but I doubt it is first in their priorities.

And finally - if you want to have any impact, you would be much better off making your feelings known there than here.

Edit - over at the Official threads you can find posts such as this:

"Statement from Oppo about gapless playback
    No one here answered my earlier question about whether there was any chance that a future firmware update from Oppo might fix the current poor support for gapless playback, so I sent my question direct to Oppo UK. I have just received the following reply from one of the OPPO European Support Engineers:

"Gapless playback is under development and will be added in a future firmware. I have no date for this yet. The plan is that the HDMI input also will support gapless playback if possible".

The first sentence of that reply relates to my question about gapless playback via DLNA.

David "

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    HAmmer and gd0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.