OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thanks. I can wait for the official, but I'm not sure any of those fixes apply to my usage.

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Me neither.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have a question for those playing DSD SACD files from a hard drive connected to the USB input on the 103. I get a faint click between tracks once when the track ends and then once when the next track starts. Is this normal? It's not a big deal but if I could do something to eliminate it that would be great. The interesting thing is when I play the same files with DSD converted to PCM there are no clicks between tracks. Is it possible in DSD direct that the clicks are not muted for some reason?

Bill

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Could be a bug. I would troubleshoot by first doing a full player reset. If problem still persists, roll back one firmware.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm using the 105 and have no such problems with DSD files from hard drive.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Another issue I found is that I'm unable to use gapless playback with SACD DSF files. Gapless playback works fine Hi-Res FLAC files I have. Is there an issue with the Oppo's playing gapless with DSF files?

Bill

7. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Very happy with my new 105D, BDs look amazing and I'm pleased (and surprised) at how good it is with SACDs; it's replacing an Esoteric SA50 and I'm not at all missing the latter.
    The only issue is with the TV, which is connected to the 105D's optical input, there's a noticeable 'time delay' when watching programmes - the sound lags behind the speaker's mouths!! This didn't occur with the Esoteric's digital input. I've tried turning the TV on and off and have looked at the audio set up on the TV and 105D but to no avail.
    Anyone else had this niggle?

YorkeS9 likes this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's a useful comparison.

9. Lip sync issues can be very common in digital video. My suggestion is to adjust the speaker distance and delay in the Oppo setup menu--ie, set everything to zero if you have to.

Or, if what you are doing is connecting your TV digital audio output to your Oppo's digital audio input, don't do that anymore. Instead, connect your TV's analog audio output to your amplifier.

One of the above should fix your sync issue.

10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I have searched and have not been able to find the answer to these questions. I just bought the 105D for my theater/listening room and moved the 105 upstairs for my wife. I have DSD albums in DSF in my JRiver library and lots of 24 and 16 bit files as well. I am running straight from the OPPO (in ASIO) to my Krell integrated via XLR. What are the proper JRiver settings to play the DSD files native to the OPPO USB DAC and let it play FLAC 16 and 24 bit files without making changes in DSP every time I want to switch between FLAC and DSD? I removed the old drivers from my PC and downloaded the new drivers when I switched machines. Thanks in advance.

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have been hoping for an answer to this, as I also have an Oppo 105 (not 105D) and JRiver. At present, I am controlling my system through Squeezeboxes, but I assume I will have to move on at some point.

Have you been able to get gapless playback with your set up? From what I've read, this does not work in DLNA for FLAC and may not work at all for DSF. And I listen to a lot of classicall music where gapless playback is a necessity.

EDIT - is your computer connected directly to the 105D. That woud give you more options than I have.

Coricama likes this.
  12. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I have had gapless since the day I hooked it up to the 105. My computer is connected directly to the new 105D via USB in back. Right now, my DSF files are being downmixed to 192 K. There is a section in DSP that allows you to pick gapless if I am not mistaken. I will look tonight and see what and where those settings are. When OPPO touted a DSD capable DAC, I assumed that meant it would take DSD raw from JRiver and convert it in the Oppo, so far I have not accomplished that.

13. Can you set JRiver to output DSD as DoP? If so, that should do the trick.

If you can't get JRiver to operate correctly, I suggest moving to another music player. There are plenty of choices out there that will transmit DSD over the DoP protocol, rather than transcoding it to PCM.

Coricama likes this.
  14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

A USB DAC doesn't take files from a computer, it receives a digital audio stream from a computer. You have to configure your computer to output DSD when playing the files. It's a issue with JRiver, not with the Oppo.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Coricama likes this.
  15. What he said. JRiver's default behavior is to transcode DSD to PCM. You need to turn that option off and then enable DoP so that it will transmit DSD over USB to your DAC in a packetized format.

Coricama likes this.
  16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Look under
    Tools
    Options
    Track Change
    Check "Use gapless for for sequential album tracks"

17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Thank you both. I have enabled DoP. How do I go about turning off the option of transcoding DSD TO PCM? Did enabling DoP do that?

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I think I've got it now! The Oppo is showing it's receiving DSD now, thank you so much for the help. :edthumbs:

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

thanks

20. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Let me know if that works or not.

21. Sure thing! You can try ASIO streaming too, but it didn't seem to be working for you. That's why I suggested DoP.

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Since I upgraded to the latest firmware on my 105 yesterday, I've been experiencing frequent freezes when playing back hybrid SACDs. They always happen within the first 90 seconds of playback.

Advice?

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Report it to Oppo? They are very responsive from what I understand and may try to resolve it with you.

Simon A and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Reset ALL factory defaults. Unplug for a bit, then try a SACD again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.