OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Thanks for the useful advice. Unfortunately the TV doesn't have analogue outputs (yes, I was surprised when it arrived!).
    I've adjusted the delay in the set up; it now reads at zero. The delay is improved though still visible, but it's not going to spoil an otherwise fabulous machine. I've played BDs, DVD-As, Blu ray audio discs, CDs, and loads of hybrid and SHM SACDs and the Oppo is simply an amazing sounding piece of kit. As I said in my previous post, I prefer the sonics of the Oppo to my previous Esoteric SA50 which cost me considerably more £.

Billy Budapest, tmtomh and Simon A like this.
  2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Well, I finally got the 105 to connect wirelessly to my Mac Pro - and all the drives connected to that.
    Thanks to someone who recommended SMBUp - a free program that runs Samba. I don't know if upgrading to Yosemite has anything to do with this, but, I'm utterly delighted.

The sound is wonderful. It seems that gapless playback is not available unless I'm using a direct connection to a USB stick or drive, but I'm very, very happy.

Simon A likes this.
  3. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I sent an email to Oppo Tech support about this as I was experiencing the same problem, but at random points in playback. They suggested turning off all network settings. I did this last night and have played through a couple of SACDs (The Stones ones) without issue. I'll probably re-enable networking tonight just to see if I can repeat this crash then give them a final report.

Simon A likes this.
  4. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The BDP-105D (the Darbee edition) has a DSD USB DAC. I don't read Japanese, but I'm guessing the 105DJP is just the Japan-market version of the 105D and likely has no different features.

6. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Thanks for clarifying this.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

No problem - but SamS or others may know more.

8. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

OPPO BDP 105D EU - European model
    OPPO BDP 105D AU - Australian model
    OPPO BDP 105D JP - Japan model

I guess OPPO thought there was no need for a 105D "U.S." designated model!!!

ALL 105D MODELS HAVE IDENTICAL FEATURES.

The Japanese have simply chosen to describe the enhanced DSD capability a bit differently.

In our terminology the 105D does "double rate" DSD 128 ........versus the DSD 64 of the 105

The Japanese however say the 105D JP does DSD at 5.6MHz.

Regarding the 105's USB capabilities with DSD the term "DSD 64" simply relates to the fact that DSD samples at 2.8224 MHz
    which 64 times the RBCD sampling rate of 44.1 kHz.

The 105D's USB can handle "DSD 128"...128 times the RBCD sampling rate or DOUBLE the 2.8224 MHz sampling rate of DSD .....which is 5.6448 MHz

I guess the Japanese just decided to "round down" to 5.6 MHz

Cheers,

John

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    tmtomh likes this.
  9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks for this explanation. One question, though: I thought the regular, non-D 105 couldn't do DSD at all through its DAC. I thought SamS posted earlier in this thread saying the D edition has a new/different circuit board in it that allows DSD streaming to the DAC, and that a firmware update could not add this capability to the standard 105 model.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks!

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

I was ONLY referring to the regular USB inputs and have listened to DSD on my OPPO that way.

Does your question relate to the USB "Asynchronous DAC" input??

If so then sorry I don't know about that.

Cheers,

John

tmtomh likes this.
  11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The non-D Oppo 105 can not play DSD files through the USB DAC, it can only play them from a USB device (HD or stick).

tmtomh and Linger63 like this.
  12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Yeah what wolfram said!!!!!!! :righton:

Sorry... forgot to mention I was using a stick :crazy:

tmtomh and wolfram like this.
  13. Sounds like it's just the Japanese market edition of BDP-105D. The only difference should be the firmware.

14. HiFi Guy 008

Maybe this is a stupid question, as I haven't perused the 41 pages here.
    Can I watch Blu-ray files (not on the disc, but ripped accurately from the disc) on the Oppo 105?

Well, after just trying it appears no.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If you rip to MKV, then yes.

16. HiFi Guy 008

How could I transfer the files to MKV from
    file:///Volumes/THE_DARK_SIDE_OF_THE_MOON/0012FA/
    file:///Volumes/THE_DARK_SIDE_OF_THE_MOON/AACS/
    file:///Volumes/THE_DARK_SIDE_OF_THE_MOON/BDMV/
    file:///Volumes/THE_DARK_SIDE_OF_THE_MOON/CERTIFICATE/

?

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You'd need ripping software. It's generally pretty self explanatory to use. I use Handbrake for the Mac, not sure of options for other OSes.

Simon A likes this.
  18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Download and run MakeMKV, and use it to covert your BDMV folder. Your resulting output will be the main movie as an .mkv file.

Simon A and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  19. HiFi Guy 008

I didn't know that Handbrake could do this. I'm assuming it's a bit of a hassle. But I'm gonna try.
    Also, I just experienced that the Oppo 105 won't play DFF files - at least some of them - streaming from my Mac.
    I'm SURE it played them before I updated the firmware.

Thanks! I'm gonna try that.

Well, just tried it. No go.

I got this message:
    "MakeMKV v1.9.0 darwin(x86-release) started
    Optical drive "DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N PA03d" opened in OS access mode.
    Opening files on harddrive at /Volumes/THE_DARK_SIDE_OF_THE_MOON
    Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
    The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
    Failed to open disc
    Using direct disc access mode
    Failed to open disc
    MakeMKV v1.9.0 darwin(x86-release) started
    Optical drive "DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N PA03d" opened in OS access mode.
    Opening files on harddrive at /Volumes/THE_DARK_SIDE_OF_THE_MOON
    Failed to open disc
    Using direct disc access mode
    Failed to open disc"

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Might have to try to convert using the actual disc. Or, use Handbrake to make an .mp4 file, but that can take a long time.

Best way is to simply insert the BD disc into your computer, run MakeMKV, and in about 30 minutes you'll have a file than can be played on the 103/105 via USB.

Scott J likes this.
  21. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Hey guys
    I have my 105D on order but have a non-D store model setup in my system. I read the last 3rd of this thread and I want to thank everyone for answering most current and many future questions.

I will be playing movie and music files off on 2 or 3 HDDs. Can I name them to make it easy for navigating?

22. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Tangential: has anyone gotten the latest version (3.0.2) of the Oppo Media Control app to work? Mine crashes when I try to play back anything from a USB source. Previous versions had bugs but worked most of the time.

23. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I have a windows phone and I know there is not an app for it but plan to upgrade my phone and could go either way android or Iphone 5. Do either work better? I'm leaning toward Iphone.

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I haven't tried that version yet, but I think your experience with this one is not uncommon.
    Yes you can rename HDDs and the player will recognize them. Make sure you format them correctly. Further details in the OPPO manual.

ghost rider and Simon A like this.
  25. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Any way to roll back the version? The earlier versions worked most of the time. I got used to keeping the TV off. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.