OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. No and no.

OPPO are aware of the problem, but don't know how long it will take for a new version or how to put an older version back into the App Store. The only way I can think of to go back to 3.0.0 might be to restore it from an iTunes backup. I haven't tried that yet, so I can't say if that would really work.

2. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Maybe someone here can answer this question. I have been unable to get a response from the JRiver MC20 forum. One of the features that made this play work better than I could have ever dreamed is the hdmi input. I have for years used only the PC for movies as well as music files. My Bryston SP1.7 is pre hdmi and has only one 5.1 analog input. Now the BDP-105 owns that input but there may be a time or two that a movie I want to watch is only on the PC so I have the computer plugged into that hdmi input and it seems to work fine.

My question is what happens to the HD audio as it passed through MC20 and my Asus xonar hdav 1.3 soundcard. The image shows that this movie had a dts-hdma input and a 32bit direct connection output. Their help menu says a direct connection is unchanged. So I can expect that signal to still be seen as a dts-hdma fprmat. If so, the BDP105 will down sample to something like dts or ac3. If it was LPCM than it would remain in 24/48 and be close to the dts-hdma format..

If someone with an hdmi receiver using MC20 could let me know how the receiver sees the audio. I hope it’s LPCM but if its dtshd or TrueHD well at least I know how it works.

Thanks
    [​IMG]
    upload a picture

3. ghost rider

It looks like you can only install the latest version. I wanted to try it out on my wifes Iphone 6. There was only 1 download opsion and it had all bad reviews. So I didn't try. I thought the remote download might work but it was only a remote.

4. ghost rider

OK I had the info all the time.:oops: This is the best of all situations, every file played from my computer even the ones I know are AC3 are passed as LPCM 7.1 audio. The picture, sound and flexiblity are amazing with the BDP-105. A special plus the 105D being a DSD player and DAC.

5. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Little confused here. The 105D says it "adds ability to play DFF files from a USB - meaning a USB stick or via USB from a drive? I thought I'd been playing DFF files from my USB stick.

6. ghost rider

It's possible I misunderstood this I got back from Oppo asking.

The player supports DSD from USB files, physical discs, and Asynchronous USB (BDP-105D only).

7. HiFi Guy 008

So the 105 supports DSD from a USB stick? But not DSD via USB cable or WiFi from Mac?

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

And if you want you can burn a data DVD-R with DSD files and the 105 will play it.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'll recheck the Hi Fi World review and come back on this. Quirky as I recall.

11. HiFi Guy 008

And the 105D can read DSD (DFF) files via WiFi and USB cable from the computer?
    Is there a possibility of upgrading my 105 to do this?

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The 105D can read DFF files from asynchronous USB (computer). Wifi might (?) be a possibility, but I personally have not tried that. Sending a big-ass DSD file over wifi sounds like a recipe for disaster, anyways.

There is no upgrade from a 105 to the 105D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Simon A, tmtomh and Metralla like this.
  13. Not necessarily disaster, but it's not without quirks. My 105 accesses my NAS, where my DSD files reside, via Wifi. 2 channel files, no problem. Somewhat picky as to the format of the cue sheets, but it works. Multi channel files, however, get distorted and are unlistenable. The same file on an USB stick sound fine; it's the transport via (my) Wifi that seems to be the problem.

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Is it gapless?

15. No. Furthermore, it doesn't matter it they are DFF or DSF files nor does it make a difference if they are played with or without a cue sheet. As soon as it's a multi channel file, there's trouble.

16. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Is it a known issue that during gapless playback via USB stick* that the last 5 seconds of the album cuts off?

*Beatles USB FLAC

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  17. Brother_Rael

Think I'd be happier if the manufacturers worked out how to get round issues like this on players that cost £1000+ than just let it ride year in year out.

18. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

OK, I feel dumb. It seems to be working now that I updated the firmware. I thought I had just done that recently.

:hide:

Brother_Rael and Simon A like this.
  19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

1,000 Pounds + !!!!!

Yikes, you're getting ripped!!!

20. Brother_Rael

Yes, we are. The 105D is about £1100 here. Which is why when the Cambridge BD752 had £300 off in a Black Friday sale this past week, I snapped it up. If it's good enough it'll replace my Marantz UD7007.

21. ghost rider

I was able to install version 3.01 of the Media contol app on my old android phone and it looks like it will work and does not need to activate to a working phone. It crashes once in awhile when I open it but it does work.

22. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I am tempted to buy Oppo but have heard people complain that it is finicky about playing dvd-audio unless its commercial release. I want to play dvd-audio I burned on my computer

23. ghost rider

Mine just played every dvd-audio disc I put in I made them over 10 years ago and one was a 5.1. So I'm thinking it's fine.

24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'll be interested to hear your comments about the Cambridge vs the UD7007.
    The cost of Oppo has risen hear due to currency fluctuations making is less appealing.

25. Brother_Rael

The Cambridge walks all over the Marantz, proud. Better sounding (more natural, more believable) and a better interface. No obvious niggles, like the Marantz, and arguably a better build too. Got mine in a Black Friday weekend deal and pretty delighted with it already.

Edit: I think I just like the sound of the Wolfson WM8740 DAC which this Cambridge player comes with. I had that in my AVI Lab Series CD player and it sounds amazing. Think I might at last be able to get down to just one player!

When i get a chance later I'll post up a little mini review. I know Oppo is a popular choice but Cambridge uses the Mediatek platform as well, albeit with an eventually different implementation. Either way, the 752BD is a serious option if performance across the board is important - I've already used CD, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD and video and it's consistently impressive. Haven't even had it 24 hours so well see how we go as it beds in.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.