OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Thanks for letting me know.

By the way, I'm a couple of firmware releases behind; mine is BDP10X-80-1031.

Good to know. Thank you. I may just take the plunge.

Doug

2. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Can anyone tell me what firmware introduced the issues with gapless playback. I still have the firmware that came with my 103 and wasn't planning to upgrade unless absolutely necessary...

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I had the problems with the 83-0715Beta (didn't risk to try the official), but the latest 83-1226 solved again them already.

Simon A and Robert van Diggele like this.
  4. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Yes, latest firmware fixes the previous annoying gap between flac tracks
    Thank you finally Oppo

5. randy9700

Not to seem redundant but have anyone else who rips found that the new firmware does not affect SACD ripping? I just want to be very sure before I risk upgrading to the newest FW....

6. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

It was confirmed Wednesday.

TarnishedEars, Simon A and tmtomh like this.
  7. randy9700

Not to offend Schorman but SACD ripping is so important and has been so elusive for so long that I really wanted more than 1 person to verify the ability to rip with the newest firmware. I just did not want to make a mistake that would haunt me.

That said, I read the thread over at Computer Audiophile which is where the whole SACD ripping for Oppo's and Pioneer players was first broken and found a number of folks who verified that the newest firmware will still allow ripping. I did then update my firmware as gapless FLAC playback is second only to SACD ripping in importance for me. I then successfully ripped an SACD and I can now add some corroboration for folks here at SHF.

8. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I have turned off updates until I finish all of my SACDs. So much to do but so little time.

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Tunrs out I have a CD that shows as DTS. Had no idea! All I get from the 105 is silence. Is there some setting I should be adjusting to get this to play properly. (Pretty sure it played just fine on the BDP 83)

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

What is the title of the disc? Is it double sided cd/dvd like the Talking Heads remasters?l

11. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I have a 103D (which is pretty closely related to the 105) and have just played a DTS CD without problems (On Air by Alan Parsons). The player recognises the disc as a "DTSCD". I don't have a surround system connected to this player, so in the speaker configuration menu the player is set to downmix to stereo / no subwoofer. I get stereo audio from the analogue out connected directly to the soundbase I have on this TV, and also from the TV's optical out. The TV is connected by HDMI and doesn't itself decode DTS. How is your player connected to your amp? If I can get analogue audio out from a DTSCD the player is clearly able to decode it.

Edit: The 105 differs from the 103/103d in having the additional set of dedicated stereo outputs as well as the multichannel ones. A quick look at the manual suggests that there is a setting buried in audio processing options which specifies how these should be used when multichannel audio is in use. From the manual: "Stereo Signal" : To select the audio source that will be processed and sent out through the STEREO and the XLR BALANCED STEREO audio terminals.

I wonder, if you are using the dedicated stereo out, whether you need to try out different settings in the above menu. Similarly, if you are connected via HDMI, changing the HDMI output to PCM forces the player to decode any surround format to PCM before sending it to the amplifier, which may get round the problem.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, I'm using the stereo analog output; my system is strictly old school 2.0. The audio processing options are limited: I have the "stereo signal" option set to "down-mixed stereo' and the "DTS Neo:6 Mode" to "off."

mrz80 likes this.
  13. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

14. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

As well as Linger63's suggestion above about that forum, you might ask Oppo customer service; they are great at responding usually.

gd0, Linger63 and Simon A like this.
  15. HiFi Guy 008

Is it just me or is the title "down-mixed stereo" a misleading term? Shouldn't it be something like "Pure Stereo pass-through" to indicate the crossover settings do not apply?

Btw, what exactly is DTS Neo:6 and how does it impair pure stereo listening?

tmtomh likes this.
  16. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    JediJoker likes this.
  17. HiFi Guy 008

Thanks!

Linger63 likes this.
  18. Solarophile

Solarophile Forum Resident

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Bill Mac likes this.
  20. stampie

stampie Forum Resident

I can confirm that I ripped a Depeche Mode SACD today using latest official firmware version 10XEU-83-1226 on my Oppo 105.
    Nick

21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Questions on the 103...

I've only ever needed to use the analog audio outputs, but I just replaced my old all-Analog Pioneer with a new Onkyo TX-8160 Stereo receiver. I did not realize Coaxial Digital will not transmit SACD/DVD-A audio. Most of my listening will be CD or streaming-oriented, but I do have some SACD/DVD-A media.

Can I connect to the Onkyo via both Digital Coaxial and Analog RCA outputs concurrently, so I can have the best of both worlds and just switch to the analog inputs when listening to SACD/DVD-A? Or do I need to eliminate the Coax and go all Analog?

Also, a question I've had ever since I got my Polk Monitor 70's (no additional subwoofer): I have the speaker settings on Large, and Down Mix to Stereo, but the default Crossover setting is 80 Hz. Should I leave that setting as is, or should the Crossover be set lower or higher?

Thanks in advance.

22. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Give "the best of both worlds" a try. I think that will work well for you.

The Onkyo should let you switch between coaxial/optical input and analog inputs. From the Onkyo's perspective, the two inputs would be treated as if they are two entirely different components. And if your 103 is anything like my 105D (and by all accounts it should be in this context), I'm pretty sure the device should be outputting both analog and digital signals so that you don't have to do anything special on the Oppo side to make this work... but read the Oppo manual to be sure (I've set up my Harmony Remote to take care of any switching/setup when I choose the "Play Stereo Disc" activity, and I've forgotten exactly what the settings are...).

For your crossover question, I am not knowledgeable to answer it. Hopefully someone else can take that one.

Craig.

Simon A and tmtomh like this.
  23. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

If your speaker settings are Large then the crossover setting should be irrelevant. Is there a Subwoofer present option on the amp as well? If so set that to no sub and everything will go to your main speakers including the LFE channel of a 5.1 recording.

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Thanks, Craig. There is both a coax digital and an analog input labeled as "BD/DVD", so I'd guess to allay confusion and ease switching I'd just use a different analog input labeled something else like "CD". I figured the concurrent outputs wouldn't be an issue, but figured I'd check to make sure.

I recalled reading that the Crossover setting becomes irrelevant when "Large" is chosen. Would be more clear if "Crossover" was simply greyed out when "Large" is selected, but so be it. I do have Subwoofer set to "No", so between that, "Large" and Down Mix "Stereo", I gather I should be good to go for good, old-fashioned Stereo sound. :winkgrin:

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yes, I do the same thing (using different inputs on the receiver, with different outputs from the same device) and it works well.

Good or bad, please let us know how it goes after you've tried it.

Craig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.