OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

That should work fine. I have the same settings on my Oppo and it sounds like everything is getting correctly downmixed if I play a 5.1 recording and listen via the line out.

2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find the answer! I am aware of the major differences in the stereo analogue sound between the 103 and the 105. Is there a difference in the multi channel analogue outputs between the two players as well?

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I suppose the most significant questions they themselves won't answer directly in one easy place for us to check are, "Does the new firmware update make it easier to stream the way I want it to without breaking some rule or regulation?", and of course, "Does the new firmware update take away my ability to rip the SACD that Sony didn't want me to have the ability to rip?"

I wish somebody could stick and update those answers, specifically tied to the name and date of release of the firmware, in some general area, like that billboard in NYC where you can always look up and see the current trade deficit figures.

Doesn't have to be up on some billboard in NYC, of course; just someplace we all look for answers to stuff like that, such as....a sticky on a thread on AVS, for incstance...?

4. That's not a question of OPPO firmware, but an exploit of the Mediatek chips in the 10x series. The 20x series uses different chips, for which that exploit is not available (yet?). No firmware updates for the 10x series have addressed that exploit. I doubt OPPO will start now.

5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

The OPPO 103 uses the same Cirrus Logic CS4382A DAC for MC as found in the OPPO 93.
    The OPPO 105 uses the much vaunted ES 9018 Sabre DAC for MC.

From a technical standpoint then I would expect the OPPO 105 to offer superior SQ over the OPPO 103 in analog MC.
    The actual level of improvement might be a bit less than in the stereo area though where I would assume even more attention was paid.

At the end of the day you are probably better off using a HDMI connection to an appropriate AVR or Pre/Pro for MC anyway.
    IME......this method has the advantage of allowing access to handy features like Room EQ, DSP and higher quality bass management
    which all become unavailable when using an analog connection.

No harm at all in hooking up at analog level if that's all your current gear supports though!!!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Bill Mac and scobb like this.
  6. Sevoflurane

Every time there is a firmware update somebody will have to install it and test whether SACD ripping works or not, which is a risk as not all firmware updates can be rolled back.

People have reported their experiences on particularly the Computer Audiophile thread, which is probably the best place to look given that people involved in discovering this post there. If SACD ripping is important to you, and your Oppo player is otherwise working well, then I see no reason to take a risk and update the firmware. Now the players have been discontinued I cannot envisage Oppo continuing to update the firmware unless a major bug becomes apparent or they decide / are encouraged to actively block the ability to rip SACD.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent post :)! I agree with you 100% as to using HDMI for multichannel due to the examples you list.

Linger63 likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

So far all the FW updates for the 1xx series players have not removed the ability to rip SACDs. I'm not big on FW updates unless the 103/105D in my system have issues or there's a beneficial feature addition. One can always load the beta FW that Oppo usually releases before the official FW update with the ability to go back to the last installed FW. I won't be installing any new FW dates on either player unless the update is needed and that the SACD ripping feature is still available.

9. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Like many of us, my room is not the best for music reproduction.

That is why the room eq and bass management capabilities of my AVR far outweigh the small SQ improvement I would get from going analog out from the OPPO.

10. Dillydipper

My point wasn't whose tech was behind what makes what work, just ergonomics. It was referring to people like me (and obviously othere) who have to scour the web before updating firmware when I'm informed there's a fix for something. I suppose now, "I doubt OPPO will start now" will be yet another irrelevant link that Google will dig up next tine somebody wants to know it it's safe to upgrade without losing a ripping capability or a gap-free stream. If somebody with enough experience could just post their findings in some general area an Oppo owner might easily find it. Something like, "New Oppo firmware for the 105 and 103 (includes the "D" models as well): new firmware #L-S-M-F-T-M-O-U-S-E, released last Tuesday, still allows backing up of your SACD's", et cetera. That's all we need to know, in a convenient place to find it.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My suggestion would be to check in over at AVS any time you plan to do a FW update. Posting over at AVS will get you quick answers to your questions such as that. Doesn't get any easier than that :). Oppo certainly isn't going to say in the FW update notes that "the SACD ripping feature is still working" after the latest xxx-xxxx-xx FW update ;).

12. Dillydipper

-which of course, why I never suggested them. Oppo's attention to the AVS community (just as MOXI's was in its' heyday), is a great way to get a reputation of being forefront for answering owners' questions. And I certainly would not fault them for not talking about things going on behind the scenes that make their products do what they do. They do, as most of us have found out firsthand, a tremdous job at customer support, a rep that any similar corporation would love to have.

But no, I would not expect them to start talking about chinks in the armor that are no fault of their own. So if people needed another place to access said information...I hope such a place becomes regularly maintained and communicated to Oppo owners in some other way.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

AVS........... If that doesn't work for you start up a blog or something yourself. I really don't see how easier it could be than posting on AVS. But that's just me ;). It's not like there is a new FW update every week from Oppo. I think you're making this more difficult than it actually is :).

14. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Allow me to suggest another source for the future firmware update information you are hoping for, even if it may not exactly meet your full desires. One thing is that, by definition, the concern is more Oppo SACD ripping than Oppo gapless capabilities...though I expect gapless issues would certainly be surfaced.

This thread is the godfather of all Oppo/Mediatek SACD ripping matters: here. It's where all the potential, and the procedures, for Oppo 10x SACD ripping were originally surfaced to the greater computer audio world. And member "ted_b" has been the focal point for getting SACD sourced audio into computers even before PS3 ripping became available. (Note that ted_b has also been the focal point and primary documenter over the course of the entire PS3 SACD effort.)

Problems with Oppo firmware updates and SACD ripping will only be surfaced when a new Oppo release is tried out with ripping in mind. Most of the people involved with that will be looking at, and posting to, the thread I've linked above. It's now at 79 pages, obviously a lengthy read in full, but I'd expect you would only need to keep a watch on the end few pages. Also nothing is preventing you from signing up, and even posting questions about gapless around the time of any Oppo 10x firmware releases. By the nature of the people posting to that thread, they will certainly be keeping a sharp eye on gapless changes as well as ripping changes.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  15. Sevoflurane

Sorry you found that irrelevant. As Darkmass has posted above however, and as I mentioned in my post, the Computer Audiophile thread remains the definitive one for this.

16. So sorry I don't do your research for you.

Not sorry.

17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Confirmed it works just fine. Have digital connection via Coaxial "BD/DVD" and analog connection via RCA L/R "CD", and now I can listen to SACD/DVD-A via "CD" and CD via both "BD/DVD" and "CD".

Also confirmed (by Oppo themselves, via CS email) that the "LARGE" speaker setting disables the Crossover. So I'm all hooked up, literally. Thanks.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Oppo App problem on iPhone:

"Tap to reload" message comes on intermittently on the phone and app doesn't respond. I have to restart the app, sometimes more than once, to get it to work again. Is this a problem from my router's WiFi or are other's having the same?

19. Dillydipper

Guys, ever popped-in on one of our largish threads discussing subjects that are popular and intriguing, only to find, "gee I wonder if they've announced that release date yet" is a harder thing than you might think to find the answer? Ever find a novice or a casual fan post in threads such as that, "without having to wander through 600 posts, does anybody know exactly when it's going to be released?"...but the babble continues on and on over irrelevant fringes of the discussion? Ever find, every 20 posts or so, yet another casual fan has to also post, "without having to wander through 620 posts or so..."...and becomes a part of the babble?

Ever wonder how much easier it would be to get along with people if there were a stickey'd post near the top of a particular forum saying, "Ya know, there's a lot of interest about 'X-Y-Z''s box set...we don't know when it's coming out, you you might go here occasionally (link) to check, because they tend to have pretty reliable updates about 'all things X-Y-Z..." And then, imagine somebody knowing where to find information without having to put up with people who resent the fact that some lowlife newbies don't know the same thing we all want to know about. Without slogging through 640 irrelevent replies. Or getting taken to task because "I don't do your research for you".

I kinda think, if I ask a question and somebody resents the spirit in which it was intended...maybe they just don't have any real reason to offer their "help".

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You're at the point of just being difficult IMO. If you "honestly" want to know if the latest Oppo FWs are safe to load and won't negate the SACD ripping feature post a question over at one of the 103 or 105 threads over at AVS. How hard is that? Or would you prefer a personalized call, email or text from someone saving you that trouble? It seems that even when you're offered advice that you're going to ignore it or shoot holes in it. Sheeesh :rolleyes:!

Sounds like it's time for you to start your own forum so you can show everyone here at SH and every other A/V forum how it's done :winkgrin:.

tmtomh, RolandG, Sevoflurane and 2 others like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Let. It. Go.

22. Sevoflurane

I'll post (and have posted) my experiences on the Computer Audiophile thread. However, my Oppo is doing everything I need it to do, including SACD ripping, and I don't think there is any great rush to upgrade the firmware unless there is an obvious bug.

It's not impossible that if the SACD ripping ability attracts too much attention Oppo might be pressured to issue a firmware update blocking it. I believe the ability to play SACDR discs has been removed by firmware updates.

However, I would hope that as the players have been discontinued that Oppo simply won't bother.

bru87tr and tmtomh like this.
  23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

If some of you guys are interested how I finally solved the problem of not having gapless playback when streaming to the Oppo, here is a thread about my way to my solution: Raspberry PI3 with Kodi over HDMI, is it bit-perfect? Is there an alternative for 5.1 Flac playback?

It includes one of these small and cheap Raspberry PI 3 thingies and after some trial and error I found a way (or rather two) to stream lossless up to 24/192 in stereo and 24/96 in multi-channel perfectly gapless while using the Oppo's DAC. My current set-up for that is described in this post.

tmtomh, rbbert and SamS like this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Have anyone tried wav files of 24/192? I read somewhere that it would work better with gapless than the flac files. Haven't had the time to test for myself yet

25. oppoman

oppoman New Member

Hello Guys and Gals

I have a question regarding BDP-105D

I connected a WD My Cloud NAS directly (no switch) and it is working perfectly. However I can only play the songs alphabetically. The device does not see the tract list. I cannot manage to create a playing list. I cannot repeat shuffle or play gapless

Are there any solutions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.