OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

No real issues Bill. I've used wireless via Airplay and DLNA and it's fine. No loss of data and works nicely.

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No, it can't do it now. That doesn't mean it's not a realistic expectation , though, as time and technology march on.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  3. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

wasn't version 3.02 bad, crashed all the time. I have a windows phone but had an old Android lying around and I install version 3.01 and it works fantastic. It is so much easyer than using the remote, so just hold on for an update. I may never update mine, if it works perfect why fix it!!!

4. 3.03 shouldn't crash very often. It was mainly when trying to access a NAS or an external USB drive that 3.02 crashed.

Not displaying disc menus in the app may be disappointing (if one can be disappointed by the app not having a rather unrealistic feature), but that hardly makes the app "a joke".

Stonegarden71 likes this.
  5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'd say that most users have their OPPO connected to a display of some sort (it's a Blu-ray player after all). And I wonder if any app can access a disc menu, though I see why it would be practical in your case.

I installed the latest version on my Samsung pad and had no problems so far. Runs stable and is easier to use than just having the remote control (though mostly that's enough for my needs).

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

This is true, I just checked and a newer version is available for download. I must have downloaded the previous version. Not sure why both apps would be available for download? Shouldn't there be one, and then update the version as it improves? Thanks for the heads up.

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

I guess I'm the type of person that simply doesn't accept how things are, but rather how they can be improved upon. My vision of the app might not be necessary for the few here, but trust me when I say many people would love to navigate a bluray menu on an app. Especially for those that use the Oppo as a media player and do not have it connected to a TV. Just because that feature does not exist now, certainly doesn't make it irrelevant or unnecessary, or even a bad idea.

I'm not an app guy so it's easy for me to call it a joke. If it's not going to add any benefit to my life, I don't have much use for it. The remote works just fine in that regard. I was looking for a solution or added value, not to replace something.

robertawillisjr and Linger63 like this.
  8. I really don't think there are many users who navigate Blu-ray discs and don't have the player connected to a TV. Blu-ray discs are primarily for video content, after all.

The few that are for audio content and have menus, well, those menus are video content. The player would have to stream the video content to the iPad. That was never what OPPO advertised, so I don't think it's fair to call the app a joke.

The OPPO guys are really great when it comes to customer feedback. So send them a mail and ask them if that function moght be added in the future.

Linger63 and stereoptic like this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Already done, well it was a suggestion I offered up.

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The BluRay menu content is contained on the disc and would require a ton of bandwidth to move to a remote app. At least as I understand what VF1973 would like. BluRay also has very severe licensing issues as to what can and can not be done with the format.

SamS and RolandG like this.
  11. It does a lot more than the remote without a monitor, like for example browse into a hard disk connected to it by usb or wifi or whatever... It just doesn´t do what you want cause it´s imposible. Some people are never happy, if it did it what you want, then they would probably complain because they can´t watch movies or concerts played through the blu ray through the app on the tablet, it´s insane... It´s a great app and a great player, best in the market and I think your complaints are very unfair...

Linger63 likes this.
  12. BayouTiger

I don't hear unhappiness with the player, just that it would be nice to have an added feature that's likely not reasonably possible. I wish my Cronus had more buttons than just volume up and down, but that certainly doesn't mean I am unhappy with it!

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

My comments were towards the app, not the player. The player is fantastic. As I stated above the app is worthless to me, but I can see its value to someone that streams music over their server. I don't do that, so the strength of the app in that regard is lost on me.

Linger63 likes this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Well said. I think some people are carrying on a tad much in regards to my comments on the app. There is a missing plane with 162 people on board, let's put things in perspective. After all it's just an app. The player is fantastic and a welcome addition to my setup.

Linger63 likes this.
  15. BayouTiger

I am anxious to see! I got my 105 on Wednesday and left town before even opening the box. Looking forward to next weekend and some listening time.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Well, one of the best players on the market...

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

To those who asked, no, I haven't tried a connection to the Oppo via network cable. WiFi only. Interesting idea, though.

18. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Streaming via ethernet will almost always provide better results then wireless.

19. I am talking about Anagram upsampling chipset AND the Analog Devices DACs.

20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The DAC in the 103 or 103D is going to be better than the DAC in my Pioneer VSX-43. So while I'll use HDMI for movies, I'll want to go RCA out to my receiver for listening to CD's. Looking at the back of the 103, would I use the FL FR outputs? Or is my only option HDMI or coax which would bypass the Oppo's DAC, correct?

I noticed the 105 has a dedicated analog out (white/red).

Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

My Pioneer Elite VSX-43:
    [​IMG]

21. artfromtex

Here's the back of the 105:
    [​IMG]

22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Yes.

You can switch between the HDMI input and the analogue input on the receiver to check which DAC sounds better. There may be a difference in volume which you need to compensate.

artfromtex likes this.
  23. artfromtex

Thank you, Claude.

I'll be getting my 103 next month. Can't wait!

24. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I just pulled the trigger.... bought a BDP-105D straight from Oppo. :eek::goodie:

25. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Nice! :righton: Saving up the ducats for mine.

RTurner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.