OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

The QDEO processor applies some NR when playing content through HDMI-1. How much? No one knows. Currently there is no way to disable this "feature" but some owners have asked Oppo to allow this behavior to be disabled by the user.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

The amount of NR/processing via HDMI 1 (QDEO), with all defaults set to 0 (or Source Direct) is practically nil. If you really want to go the purist route, HDMI 2 can be used to achieve that.

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Thanks for confirming that. I will request that of Oppo as well.

And yet, I distinctly see less text blur on DVDs using Source Direct on HDMI 1 than I did using HDMI 2. :shrug:

I understand your request that I re-calibrate...but I really like the calibration settings I'm already using. My cable looks great. So does the other video coming out of the '103 (Netflix, Blu-ray, YouTube HD...). It's just DVD upconversion I seem to have an issue with. So I guess I'll just live with it or go Source Direct.

I can't complain about anything else with the '103 (the analog audio is great, Blu-rays and streaming services look excellent...), so I guess this is my bugaboo. Shame though, since I have a pretty nice-sized DVD collection.

4. SamS

You're seeing text blur from you seating position, or right up (a foot away) to the screen? Remember, DVD text is never going to be razor sharp. Here is the path, for your situation:

480i DVD image->QDEO processor 1080p->QDEO downsampling to 720x1280 HDMI->your TV takes 720x1280 and must convert to 768x1024. That is a lot of conversions!

5. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Time to give up on DVDs pal

6. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

NTSC DVD's are even worse :shh:

7. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Going forward, I will...but I'm not about to replace an entire collection!

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Forgive me if this has been covered but I was reading HiFi News and Paul Miller is claiming on the 105 that even with the DSD setting engaged, all SACD out is downrezzed to 24/88.2. Is this true?

9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Yeah, right pal.

10. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

11. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

12. everton

everton Forum Resident

This thread is now very long, and I apologize for not being able to read it all. I have a question. If I only want to use the 105 for CD playback and as a DAC, would people recommend it? Or can I do better with the same amount of money? Thanks.

13. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Well, for 8 years I owned a NAD M5 for 2 Channel audio (SACD, Redbook, HDCD). I have had my BDP 105 since Thursday playing many titles in my collection that I know well. And my verdict is that this player is fantastic and blows away the M5. I am hearing things that I did not hear before in my discs. It is solidly built, can play any disc that you have, and has XLR outputs that I was looking for. This is the best CD player I have ever owned. Also, OPPO has amazing customer service. This unit is amazing for the price, the SABER DACs are top notch! Clear, concise and lush sounding. I am one happy guy.

Cardanken likes this.
  14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good report - thank you.

15. everton

everton Forum Resident

PROG U.K....Thanks for your comment.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

2 observations:

1) I have set the option for volume 100% (turns off remote control volume). Anyone else? I use my amp volume control when I want to adjust the volume.

2) Does anyone have the CD/DVD of Guero by Beck? When I play the video portion, the BDP103 freezes when it progresses to the next track. If I press forward or backward chapter it proceeds to play, but that gets a bit frustrating to do for each song.

17. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

18. SamS

I think my wife has this one. I'm pretty sure it's MIA, but I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can find it. Is it DVD-A, or just DVD-V?

19. stereoptic

Thanks Sam. It's a DVD-A (48/24)

20. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I am playing the MLP 24/48 advanced audio/video track on the DVD and it played tracks one and two without freezing. Is this an issue with any particular track transition?

21. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

I have this title and a BDP-103. I can check it out when I get home tonight.
    Which Oppo do you have - the 103 or 105? Your profile says Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai...

22. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I have checked it already. He has a 103 and that's what I tested it on. Guero plays all the way through with no issues. He must have a damaged disc.

23. stereoptic

Tracks 1 and 2 play fine. The issue starts with 3 on. Thanks to all for testing. I guess the disc is damaged.

24. stereoptic

Thanks for reminding me to update my profile!

25. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

I don't own one yet, but the 103 is an exciting release for me, since I handle audio D/A conversion externally from the transport.

I love the video processing capabilities, faster loading, 3D processing, and 4K upscaling capabilities.

It's all of the video stuff I want, and none of the analog audio features that I don't want or need.

Even if I don't always choose an Oppo for playback, I do love that they are out there putting such great pressure on the rest of the industry. We all benefit from having them around.

I saw some brutal televisions at CES this month. Stuff I would not yet pay for, but in a few years I'm very much looking forward to. They're miles ahead of what I bought two years ago.

Now all we need is that 4K consumer format...

ccm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.