OPPO BDP-105 Tidal not playing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sacsongs, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

I have the 205 OPPO, will the app work for me with Tidal?

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Does the Tidal app show up on your home page?

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I think those mixes are app specific, as they don’t appear in the Sonos or Bluesound environments either.

audiomixer likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have a few questions regarding the Oppo app and using Tidal with the 103 and 105. I just figured out how to connect to Tidal using the Oppo app and playing back using my 103 from my iPhone 6s. The 103 is in my main system but I also have a 105 in a small bedroom system. What I'd like to do is also stream Tidal to the 105. Is it possible to load a second Oppo app just for the 105? If not is there a way to use the Oppo app for two different players? Thanks for any advice on this :)!

5. Well, I only have one but when I turn on the app, it detects my oppo 105. I think that if I had more of those connected to my local network, the app should detect them and I´d have to click on the one I want to use, so I think it is possible to manage two oppos with only one app.

Bill Mac and Agitater like this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks! Well everything has seemed to have worked out fine. Have both players connected to a single Oppo app. The one thing that confused me is that the 103 and 105 have the same IP address except for the last three numbers. Once I figured that out both players (for now) are saved in the app. I was even able to add the Oppo app for the 203/5 series players. I'm not too well versed with computers so this was quite an accomplishment for me :help:.

cdash99 and Stonegarden71 like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well I guess I spoke too soon. I'm finding that if I power off my 103 or 105 it is no longer shown as players in the Oppo app. Is there a step I'm missing that enables both players to be "saved" by the app? If I power up either player it requires entering the IP address again. It's the same with the 203/205 Oppo app as well. I thought that when any of the players were powered up it would be recognized by the Oppo app. What a real PITA!

Update: It turns out I'm the real PITA here :rolleyes:! I looked on the Oppo site for informantion about the app. It states that the 103 and 105 need to be set to "Quick Start" and the wireless adapter needs to be plugged into USB port 1. Well once those steps were taken the app saved both players :).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Oppo app and Tidal are working quite well together. It's interesting that when the Standby Mode was set to Quick Start how much faster the 103 and 105 power up and power down. I realize that in that mode more power is consumed but it's a good trade off to be able to use Tidal from my iPhone.

The one issue is that when accessing my music collection with the Oppo app it takes forever for all the albums to load. When I switch to the Tidal app accessing all the albums is quick and easy. So I'm assuming it's an issue with the Oppo app and not my iPhone.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I have had a problem with the app and Oppo not connecting sometimes after listening to a couple albums on Tidal. Hopefully it stays more solid for you than it does for me. I have a good router so I don't know what the deal is. When it does work it is pretty damn cool. I have other Tidal devices but controlling from a phone is bad ass...

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that's it's cool to control the 105 in my bedroom system with the Oppo app. Especially since there is no display to access the setup menu. Last night I dug deeper into the Oppo app and was pleasantly surprised to be able to access all the setup options. Being a total computer "nitwit" this is opening new horizons for me :winkgrin:.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

YES. The setup options within the Oppo app is awsome. Took me way too long to realize it had the feature and to take advantage of it.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just an update that using the Oppo app for Tidal with my 103 and 105 is working quite well. I'm listening to Neil Young's Tonight's the Night album using the optical output of the 103 to the optical input of the 205. The ability to take advantage of the DACs in the 205 is a nice option. The Oppo app can be a little finicky now and then but it's easy to reboot. When searching my album collection it's a bit slow loading. If I select an album and decide to keep searching it goes back to the beginning of the album list which is a PITA. But all in all it's well worth the effort!

My main system is setup for multichannel music using the Emotiva XMC-1 and the 103 (HDMI). For two channel I have a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (HT Bypass) and the 205 (XLR analog). I use a Harmony 688 remote with multiple activities that makes using a rack full of different components so easy.

audiomixer likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is there a setting for gapless playback for Tidal with the Oppo app? I'm listening to Steve Miller's Sailor album from '68 and a number of the tracks run together. But when using the Oppo app there is a slight gap between those tracks.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If MQA interests you, does the 103 or 105 decode it? If so, you won't hear the benefit when running Tidal from the 103 via optical cable. Otherwise no harm, no foul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.