OPPO bdp-83 video question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghostofzuul, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow Thread Starter

i know this is an audio forum... and i've posted some oppo related posts having to do with the audio section of my player... but i have a specific video question... and i figure you folks here are so well informed (especially the oppo fans) and that it's a simple enough question that i could ask it here...

i have a new 4k samsung... i know my bdp-83 doesn't do 4k. however the the oppo can send the video signal out "source direct..." in other words... it's just acting as a transport and the processing is being done by the tv. since the tv is 4k wouldn't it take that raw signal and upconvert it to 4k? i realize that back in 2011 the oppo had state of the art video processing... Anchor Bay processors if i'm not mistaken... i'm thinking that my 4k tv probably has better video processing?

i've noticed that the video output bitstream for the oppo is way higher than 4k streaming on the internet. when my netflix or amazon is streaming at 4k it's @ about 15.5Mbps... but the oppo outputs at about 41.0Mbps. wouldn't it stand to reason that the 41.0Mps signal would provide the better picture?

I know way less about video than i do about 2 channel audio so any input/info is greatly appreciated.

2. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

The difference is night and day, at least with my 83 into a two year old Sony 930D. The bit rate issue is harder to compare due to different compression schemes, that is, the latest codecs might be much more efficient.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro

3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

You’re most always going to get a better picture off a disc rather than streaming. One reason to keep physical media going. The picture however, is subject to how the disc is mastered, no matter the bitrate. There’s a lot of crappy blu-rays out there but all things being equal, the OPPO will deliver superior results.
    You’re correct about the upscaling on the Samsung. Put the OPPO on Source Direct and let the TV do the scaling. You didn’t give the model # of your Samsung but as a rule, the better the TV (read, more expensive) the better it will scale.

4. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow Thread Starter

Samsung NU7100... Not their top of the line but adequate for my needs...

Interestingly enough I discovered that dvd's look better going through the oppo's processors rather than source direct... but as far as blu-ray's source direct seems to be sharper with better contrast and overall balance.

thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.