Oppo Sonica DAC Being Dropped

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Standingstones, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

WRT the regular USB inputs on the OPPO 205...............
    Selecting Gapless playback is now a one time setting in the players Setup Menu.

Setup Menu.......
    Playback Setup.....
    Gapless Playback........ON/OFF

Sorry but don't know the capabilities of the Asynchronous USB Input.

Bachtoven likes this.
  2. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

DLNA is a standard protocol/api layer on top of regular networking. The problems with DLNA have nothing to do with chipsets hardware. It is exactly what I said it is, and it requires a special implementation between the controller and endpoint to get it to work properly. It's hard to get right, so much so, some receiver manufacturers require the use of only their control app to get gapless to work.

Here is what the Roon has to say about UPNP the technology under DLNA:

What's wrong with UPnP?

3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

With all respect, Roon is a competitor, hardly an impartial judge. Getting gapless to work might have been difficult when network streaming was new, because small manufacturers didn't have the engineering chops to do it, and off-the-shelf solutions don't all work properly. But modern streamers have moved beyond that. I have used the following renderers that handle gapless perfectly without any special software: Simaudio, Linn, Cambridge Audio, Naim, Auralic, and a Raspberry Pi stream renderer I built for less than $150. That is hardly an exclusive list, just some devices I've used personally. Any product (such as those from Linn and Auralic) that supports the OpenHome extensions to DLNA will support gapless.

It is true that TVs and similar consumer devices may not support gapless properly, but anything from a high-end manufacturer that does not is a flawed product. It is time to stop making excuses for manufacturers who don't take the effort to get this right! Would audiophiles defend a high-end amplifier that put intermittent silences into the music?

4. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I think their product line become complicated. I like that they are going back to disc players. I was never a headphones guy though.

5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

When you click on blu-ray players on the site, it looks like there is room to add another player higher end than the 205.

6. HA-1

HA-1 Member

[​IMG]

Officially announced - 2nd April 2018:

"OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital." - Oppodigital.com

That's too bad: last year Oppo stopped the HA-1 Headphone-Amplifier, last month the Sonica DAC and now the 4K-UHD-Players. Looks like Smartphones are a better business .... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.