Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

Interesting. I have not had mine on since a few days ago. This page at the UK Oppo site has news about an update from Feb. 22:

OPPO - Firmware UDP-203/UDP-205

Thanks for the post!

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just updated my firmware. Mine was behind by a few I guess. No surprises, so far.

rockindownthehighway likes this.
  3. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

Were you required to install the older ones first before the now current firmware release?

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Does it matter if new updated firmware says for "European version" if I have a US version?

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I believe it does. The newest firmware for US players is on the Oppo site. So there is no need to even consider loading the EU firmware on a US player or vice versa.

US version - OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players
    EU version - OPPO - Firmware UDP-203/UDP-205

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

8. My 205 has never been updated. It's not even connected to the internet. Do I need to upgrade it or can it be upgraded at a future date?

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Always good to have an alias :D.

mongo and rockindownthehighway like this.
  10. rockindownthehighway

If you see something in the changelog you want, you can update over the air (internet) or download and unzip the archive onto a USB stick formatted FAT32. The only thing about USB upgrades is sometimes you have to be at a certain level to upgrade to the latest. I think if you upgrade over the net this is handled automagically.

I wanted MQA DAC support, so I upgraded OTA (internet) and then upgraded the USB DAC support separately since that part must be done via USB.

JediJoker likes this.
  11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

If you aren’t having any problems there’s no pressing need to. Other than MQA playback, the vast majority of the changes are on the video side, mostly ironing out the kinks of 4K playback.
    Having said that, it might be a good idea to upgrade the FW before the warranty runs out. If the player should have trouble during or after the upgrade at least it’s covered under warranty.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent advice!

13. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

The latest firmware update sure did fix the MQA loud spinning issue! I'll have to do a proper evaluation of the Jazz Sampler disc now.

14. mongo

mongo Senior Member

He's not Beave, he's Lumpy :D

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd rather be Eddie Haskell :winkgrin:...
    [​IMG]

mongo, ti-triodes and superstar19 like this.
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Each firmware version contains minor tweaks, some even improve the loader and other functions. I'd recommend updating, as eventually, the OPPO update servers will go down. Most likely, someone will have a downloadable version of a recent firmware floating around the web. But why wait? With a USB stick, you can download and have your player updated in <5 min.

SteveM likes this.
  17. Good advice, thanks! I suppose I could always get a USB stick and download the software but not load it onto the player......yet, but have it ready for the future, maybe? I'm a little bit wary of changing something which I don't need updating and is currently working fine for all my needs: CD and BD playback only. No 4K or USB use etc.

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have the same mindset. But it's a great idea to put the latest firmware now and when further updates become available on a USB stick.

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

My approach is to install the firmware updates as they are provided for my two Oppo players, while manufacturer tech/repair support still exists for these devices, so that if something goes wrong I can reach out for assistance. I would be more fearful of storing the latest firmware update on a USB stick for some day in the future - perhaps after Oppo tech/repair support no longer exists - when I think that installing that firmware update "might" resolve some issue I'm having then.

20. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I updated to the latest firmware last week. Everything looked good until I played the Black Player 4K disc. This has Dolby Vision. I’m running the Oppo through a Yamaha YSP 2700 soundbar. Until this update the Yamaha HHS’s passed through any Dolby Vision content from the Oppo to my LG Oled with no issues. Now there are problems. The video is distorted and discoloured. Hooking the player direct to the Oled there are no issues. I swapped cables just to check it wasn’t that, it isn’t. Running another device through the YSP such as the FireStick 4K doesn’t replicate the problem so I figure there’s a glitch in the new Oppo firmware that doesn’t play well with YSP. I’ve raised a query with Oppo support.

ti-triodes and JediJoker like this.
  21. rockindownthehighway

Thanks to you guys I rejected the firmware update. I'm a late adopter. Let's hope for the best. Seems like Oppo has been pretty responsive.

22. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

What I would like to do is roll back to the previous firmware. Oppo are explicit in stating this cannot be done.

JediJoker likes this.
  23. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Rather than do a blanket ignore on firmware updates, why not look at what the firmware updates & see what feedback users post after the update.

JediJoker likes this.
  24. rockindownthehighway

Who is this directed to?

25. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I suspect it was directed to any- and everybody who is uneasy about firmware updates.

My 205 is my fourth Oppo and I have done updates as soon as publicly available and followed with a factory reset and then a restoration of my saved settings. I have had no issues whatever.

ti-triodes and JediJoker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.