Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Sorry if it sounds a bit dumb but...........are you sure you are using the AVR's correct RCA inputs?..........not the MCh ins or something else?

Also.......page 15 of your NAD's User Manual states........

"NOTE
    An incoming digital signal present at the assigned digital input will always take precedence over the assigned analog audio input, even if both are present.
    To maintain the analog audio input for the particular Source, select “Off” at the “Digital Audio” setting of the same “Source” menu."

Could this be causing your issue?
    Anyway...good luck and I hope you get things sorted.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    JediJoker and scobb like this.
  2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Hey guys, I'm using JRIVER software to stream to my 205 via USB. Yesterday, I noticed DSF files are being converted to PCM by JRIVER before it gets to my DAC. I went to the options and changed output mode to DSD. I worked fine and I could then see the files input to the DAC were DSD files. However, when using that setting, hi-res FLAC files and CDA ripped to FLAC are all messed up. Do I have to change the output encoding option every time I listen to a DSF file to let the OPPO DAC do the DSD to PCM conversion? I hope not, I use GIZMO to control JRIVER and only use my TV as a monitor when ripping or downloading. I've got to be missing something here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Well after making try just about everything NAD finally admitted that there was a batch with a faulty board and I've had to take it in to have it "fixed". I wish they would have just admitted that in the first place but hopefully it will be fully functional when it returns. Thank you for the replies (attempts to help) and sorry to derail the thread but at least we know it isn't an Oppo issue.

Linger63 and JediJoker like this.
  4. Aneias

Aneias Active Member

New to forum, first time posting. Setup NAD T787 / OPPO UDP-205 / Totem Hawks ,,, multiple connections into and out of OPPO. connections out HDMI, HDMI AUDIO only, Multi CH (5.1), and stereo. Prefer various analog out for sound dedicated for music. I just wanted to comment that I have had the hum I have been fighting it for over a year. Have tried many of the suggestions listed here with no luck fighting what I thought was a ground loop problem also. I only get the hum if any of the multi out cables are connected. glad to here NAD has indicated it is a board issue. I will contact the crew from where I purchased some of my equipment and update. See if they will confirm potential hardware issue with the 787 also.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

On Saturday I decided to play my new 4k Blu Ray of 2001 with my 205, but all through the film there was a vertical green line on the left hand side of the screen. Anyone else had the same problem?

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is 2001 the only 4k Blu-ray that you are having that issue with? If it is could it be the disc? If not contact Oppo about the issue you are having.

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

JediJoker and Hymie the Robot like this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

...also double check your aspect ratio and resolution settings, on both the player and TV.

Edgard Varese, JediJoker and Bill Mac like this.
  8. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

Reseat your hdmi cable.

Edgard Varese and JediJoker like this.
  9. Edgard Varese

I've only got one other, which I haven't watched yet (Last Jedi). I'll have to check.

JediJoker likes this.
  10. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Yea, let us know, I'm curious to know and hope you get resolved.

11. Edgard Varese

Ok will do. I was also thinking that I should install the beta firmware update from February (which has to be done via download).

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No beta firmware options right now. Just an official firmware version from 2/8/19.

OPPO BDP-20x UHD Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update

JediJoker likes this.
  13. Edgard Varese

My 205 has the previous version (45-0605), but when prompted to look for the February firmware, it said it was up to date. I've downloaded it from Oppo and will load it via USB.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you have the "Firmware Notification" (page 72) set to "On"? If it is and your 205 is connected to the web then it should indicate there is a firmware update available.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf

JediJoker likes this.
  15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Update your Firmware as this fixes the problem.

JediJoker likes this.
  16. Edgard Varese

I'm down under, wondering whether that would be the reason for the delay in rolling out the upgrade (the AU player has region-specific features). I tried doing it last night but it failed, will try again tonight.

17. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

This happened to me the first time I played the disc. I turned the player off, unplugged it from the power and then plugged it back in. That did the trick. This was with the previous firmware. It plays fine with the current firmware as well.

Edgard Varese likes this.
  18. Edgard Varese

I've been in touch with local Oppo support. There is a patch for the green line issue, apparently. It's not part of the regular firmware update, however.

trd, JediJoker and Hymie the Robot like this.
  19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Well guys, Last night my Oppo 205 died. It was purchased on 4-5-2018 so it just went past one year old. The thing is that it can not play any discs at all. The USB inputs still work fine but it will not load or recognize any disc that I put into it.

I have unplugged it several times and I actually reinstalled in the firmware even though it was already up to date. The day before I played a couple of discs and it played normally but yesterday I had a Grandkid over and I tried to play a movie and nothing happened. I tried several other discs including plain old CDs and still nothing happened.

I opened up a ticket with Oppo but I just wanted to know if anybody here has any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Rocky Bennett

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's too bad! The only suggestion I can think of is leave it unplugged for 12-24 hours and then try playing a disc. Does the display on the 205 indicate that there is a disc in the player? If all fails a trip to Oppo HQ will be needed. One bit of encouragement is that the Oppo Techs are very professional. You'll receive your 205 back in working order and good as new!

JediJoker likes this.
  21. Very unusual. Regardless, Oppo will fix it. It will probably just involve swapping out the transport.

22. therockman

I left it unplugged all night last night and still no change. The indicator just says loading and that is all. I can still use the player to play USB inputs but it is not reading any discs.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sorry to hear this. How many hours do you figure it lasted? At least it died before Oppo support dries up. Please let us know how things work out with the repairs.

24. therockman

I will definitely post back on this thread with my experience. I have opened up a ticket and we will see how this goes. I had the machine one year and I only played it a few times a week, maybe just 2 or 3 discs a week because I mostly use my machine for USB playback.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is bad. From what you are saying the drive lasted maybe 200 hours. Unacceptable. I hope this is just an anomaly.

Brother_Rael and JediJoker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.