Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

Mine did the same though it would load but wouldn't read disc's. New laser array was all it needed. Had it back in three days.

Bill Mac and JediJoker like this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Hopefully this is a rarity. Up to now have seen little evidence of Oppos failing after years of use. Is there a source of spare lasers other than repair by Oppo? Unless they start making disc players again they will eventually stop support. It's still a better situation than with Sony product by all accounts.

3. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Did they design and manufacture their own transports? If not, chances are there will be spares for many years to come, beyond the end of official support.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know people have checked with Oppo and they are not offering sales on separate transports. I didn't hear or see of any problems with the 105 transports, now I see two for the newer 205. Makes me wonder if Oppo threw in cheaper transports at the end to make a quick buck.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I highly doubt Oppo used less expensive transports in the 205 at the start of production or at the end. What would Oppo gain by doing that? To save a few bucks which could possibly cause reliability and reputation issues down the road. With Oppo's reputation for selling excellent products and outstanding service over the years there is no way they're going to cut corners. The 105 and the 205 most likely have different transports in that the 205 does 4k the 105 does not.

The issues the two 205 owners are having could be something as simple as dust on the optical lens. I just don't see why two failures would lead you to think Oppo used inferior transports on the 203 and 205. I haven't read of any 203 owners having transport issues. If there was a serious reliability issue it would be magnified with the 203 as there were many more sold when compared to the 205.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    chili555, noname74 and GregM like this.
  6. No. The transports are custom units manufactured for Oppo, and are not interchangeable with different, cheaper transports.

JediJoker and Bill Mac like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Here is a picture of the 205's transport which the 203 shares.
    [​IMG]

8. JediJoker

So, they did design the transport in-house. Did they license it to anyone else? Given that it was manufactured in China, due to the government's and culture's relaxed view of international IP, it's also possible that the design has been copied and is still being manufactured.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I really wouldn't know. I'd tend to think not but it's a good question.

JediJoker likes this.
  10. I don’t know if it is still being manufactured, but from discussions with Oppo, I know they have an adequate supply on hand to address warranty claims.

I’m also unsure if the drive was manufactured in China, as Oppo sourced components from around the globe, and some of their manufacturing was done outside of China.

Never mind—the transport clearly states “assembled in China.” Note that doesn’t mean “made in China,” telling me that the Chinese parts content is not high enough to qualify.

JediJoker likes this.
  11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Well I got my Oppo UDP 205 back from Oppo today. The machine was only one year old with approx. 300 hours on the transport but it quit playing discs on Friday, April 19th. The folks at Oppo said that mt "decoder board" was fried so they replaced that and refurbished the machine. The time in the shop was only one day, the rest of the time was transport.

Because the decoder board is one of the main boards in the machine Oppo said that my machine now has new serial number. Everything is great now.

12. JediJoker

Did they offer any possible explanation?

Brother_Rael likes this.
  13. therockman

No they did not. Just a freak incident I guess. On Thursday night I watched a Blu Ray of Jeff Beck at The Hollywood Bowl. On Friday my Grand kids came over and I tried to play Bumblebee, but the machine was dead. No fanfare, nothing that I could track it too, it just died.

Oh well. It is up and running again.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  14. JediJoker

Perhaps; perhaps not. Is the machine adequately ventilated? Could the board have failed due to excessive heat?

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  15. I have noticed that the 203 and 205 seem more sensitive to higher room temperatures than some other players I've had. Pay attention if you don't like running the AC much or have them stored in an electronics closet that traps any heat.

JediJoker likes this.
  16. therockman

My machine is in the open, no enclosure or shelf at all.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

My thoughts to a tee but great they turned it round in a decent time.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. therockman

I am old, I just have my system in the air conditioned living room out in the open. Besides, it was cold weekend the week it died. Oh well, that is life.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Have to say, I think adequately designed gear should be able to cope with the kinds of temperatures we find typical in the regions most of us are in.

formu_la and JediJoker like this.
  20. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Interesting... Now I'm can't help but wonder if the 20X series Oppos might not use as robust of lasers as the earlier models did... Laser failures in the earlier models have been very rare.

JediJoker likes this.
  21. TarnishedEars

I doubt that it was cheaper. However I too can't help but wonder now if the latest transports featured a different laser than the previous generations had...

It seems like every other SACD player manufacturer has been plagued by bad lasers in certain models, but this never happened to Oppo. But perhaps this is no longer true? Hopefully this is just a fluke...

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    JediJoker likes this.
  22. therockman

So you guys are saying that the "decoder board" that Oppo replaced in my machine was part of the laser assembly? I was under the impression that it was a separate board, separate from the laser/transport mechanism.

23. JediJoker

No, I think maybe folks were lumping in your different issue with other failures, a number of which have been of the laser in some fashion.

therockman likes this.
  24. TarnishedEars

No idea. It might not have been the laser which failed at all. That is/was just an assumption on my part.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think you are rushing to judgement here. The issue with Rocky's 205 was a defective board not a optical/loader issue. The 203 and 205 have different optical/loader assemblies as they play 4k discs. There's been several issues reported with the 203 and 205 and for some the sky is falling ;). Maybe those worried should sell their Oppos and buy Sony players. Sony players are much more reliable than Oppos and Sony's service is above reproach :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.