OPPO-What is the next go to player comparable to the Oppo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Masmusic, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever! Thread Starter

Now that OPPO has dissolved and their players are becoming very hard to find and purchase for a reasonable price, especially here in Canada! What is the next go to player comparable to the Oppo?

2. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Depends what your using it for. If your buying it for MULTI-CHANNEL purposes (Like many Oppo users) your pretty limited.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Petty limited indeed, I don't think there are any options are there?

For stereo analogue Pioneer seem to be taking up the mantel with their udp-lx 500 and udp-lx 800 models. Their udp-lx 800 promises to be great (proof will only be heard once it's released) as it's using all the same circuitry as their flagship PD-70AE SACD/CD player for SACD playback.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What are your needs in a player? Universal playback? Analog outputs both stereo and 7.1 needed?
    The Pioneer LX800 looks like a real nice player. But the question is if Pioneer will be releasing the LX800 in the North America.

scobb likes this.
  5. Billion$Baby

Plenty of older players. Esoteric has several models, Ayre had a couple. Im sure there are others.

6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'm not sure either Ayre or Esoteric ever made a multi channel Blu ray player (although many other manufacturers have), however, that is irrelevant as I was had taken the OP to be asking what can replace the current Oppo with 4k/HDR/Dolby vision etc capabilities and still play DVD-A/SACD etc (ie what new players are there, otherwise the OP could simply buy an older model Oppo).

Bill Mac likes this.
  7. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

The Cambridge CXUHD is using some of the Oppo technology, comparable withe the Oppo 203, I guess. I just replaced the blu-ray in my HT with one. Seems to be working well so far for DVD and we are very satisfied with its playback. Not sure about audio, as far as playing CD's, as that's not what we use this one for. No analog outputs like the Oppo. Retails for $700.

Extra Dry likes this.
  8. Billion$Baby

OP Didn't state what he wanted the Oppo for. I have an AYRE DX5 which certainly has Blu Ray. McIntosh MVP881 is another option. Older Oppo's are obviously OK

9. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

We are obviously taking different languages. Not to worry and have a great day :)!

10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

OPPO 205 is indeed a swiss knife, but not necessary the last word. As of CD player and DAC it is good, but not great.
    I have OPPO 105, Sony UBP-X800 and AYON CD-5.
    AYON is much better CD player and DAC, Sony provides me with 4K playing, as well as Netflix and Amazon.
    OPPO 105 I still use for regualar BR and multichannel sources. But I am not sure that OPPO internal multi-channel processing is better then in Anthem 720, which is a good receiver but not top of the line.
    So I am still puzzled why people pay such extradionary premiums to 205, as 105+newer 4K player from Sony|Panasonic|Pioneer will provide pretty much all 205 do and more.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Hard to tell from your post, but which player do you own? 105/205, both.

12. Old Zorki II

I do not own 205, I used to own 203. In my setup with active fiberoptic cable switching in receiver got screwed up, so I needed single source of 4K video for my projector with separate audio out.
    Sony, with vast support of streaming services fit the bill much better. I sold 203.
    I still have 105.

13. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Just needed a frame of reference for this comment. "OPPO 205 is indeed a swiss knife, but not necessary the last word. As of CD player and DAC it is good, but not great."

14. Old Zorki II

So you are saying that 205 is miles better in analog out then 105? I heard that they are compatible, but perhaps I am wrong.

15. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I don’t own the 105, so I wouldn’t comment that the 205 is “miles” better than it. I’d have no first hand experience, just saying.

16. Old Zorki II

I see. I only can repeat what I read. Most of reviewers could not hear the difference, and some hear only very slight. In my experience OPPO 105, why very nice and highly regarded, not nearly as refined as some dedicated CD players or stereo DACs. Thus I am puzzled by extreme premiums 205 now commands.

17. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Maybe because it’s the only multi channel analogue 4K player made... so far? I don’t see how you expect it to compete with a CD player costing multiples more money on CD playback.

18. Old Zorki II

I cannot really understand a situation when someone pays that much money for multi channel analogue processing which in any way not as flexible as in even mid-level receivers/processors.
    At 1200 this device made some sense, at 2500 I just cannot see it.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The OP didn't state what he wanted the Oppo for. But when he posted "What is the next go to player compatible to the Oppo?" he's looking for a universal player with similar features as the 203 or 205. Looking at the OP's system he has a Paradigm surround system, Denon 3806, Denon 2910 and Pioneer Elite SACD Players. Nice system for sure. But I don't see why he would want to spend $1-2k on a used universal player which the ones you suggested are 7-8 years old.
    I have two 205s in two different systems. I'm not using the 7.1 analog output on either player. I do you use the stereo analog outputs on both though. I've been buying Oppo players for a number of years. So I like their players as far features, build and sound quality as well as dependability and service if needed.

For $1300 the 205 has many features I want in a player that aren't available in any player at that price point. To me it's a great value at $1300 but understand why some wouldn't if they have no need for the feature set. If people want to pay $2500 for the 205 that's their choice. But I certainly wouldn't.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Old Zorki II likes this.
  20. Old Zorki II

That was exactly my point.

21. Billion$Baby

Good luck finding a Ayre DX5 for less than 4K. Just tried giving the OP more options. Go pick a fight with somebody else "Miserable in Maine".

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow! I have absolutely zero interest in the Ayre DX5. Options that make no sense. So if someone has a different opinion than you they're looking to "pick a fight"? So we should all "like" your posts and totally agree with your suggestions? If you took the time to look at the OP's system you'd see how ridiculous suggesting a $4k player is. Actually life in Maine is quite good :). I might not be a "Billion$Baby" but doing quite well, thanks ;)! Maybe you're having a bad Monday morning. I hope it gets better as money isn't everything :D.

23. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think I'll leave this thread as I can't seem to communicate on it. I was only talking rrp (as you didn't stipulate otherwise, or if you did I missed it) at which the Oppo is a "value" and unique product.

I have a very good, pre HDMI receiver, as do many others so buying a new receiver, of comparable quality, and a new player would have cost about twice what paid for the Oppo 205.

Sterling1 and Guss2 like this.
  24. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

I have a Pioneer LX500 on order and may get it this week. It was $1099 CAD. I'm also waiting to get a price on the LX800 but I'm figuring it might be about $1800+ but that is just a guess.

I also think LX500 in the US should be about $799 USD and LX800 may be somewhere around $1599. Those are guesses based on what I got LX500 for based on the exchange rates.

Do I need an LX800 for the other room? I don't really need the 7.1 outs though.

Masmusic, I'm near Toronto.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The release of the LX800 in North America hasn't been verified. The LX800 doesn't have a 7.1 analog output. I'm interested in how the LX500 is reviewed especially comparisons to the Oppo 203 and 205.

Guss2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.